Dumaguete Info Search

Retirement plans

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by cabb, Aug 1, 2019.

1. cabb

cabb DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster ✤Forum Sponsor✤

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 241
    I currently reside in the US and I'd like to get some experiences from those of you that have retired to the Philippines. My plan is to spend for 5-10 years in the Philippines during retirement and then return the US as I get later in age. The reason for coming back would be medical reasons and for my children. I'm sure this is different for each person, but for those who have been there, I'm curious what your plans are and also what you have seen other retirees/expats do. My reason for retiring in the Philippines would be just looking for a change/adventure and an opportunity for my wife who has been in the US for 20 years to spend time with her parents before they pass. Some questions would be things like: What percent of people who retire to the Philippines die in the Philippines? What percent don't like the Philippines and return home? What percent leave the Philippines do so for medical reasons. When I say percent, I'm just asking for an opinion based on your experience, so nothing scientific. I'm curious if it normal to retire to the Philippines with the intent to leave or most people retire there with the intent to die there.

• Like Like x 3
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
  2. Glendazumba

Glendazumba DI Forum Adept

teaching
    Ratings:
    +729 / 36
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    Hi! I have always thought that expats who have decided to retire in the Philippines intend to do so until forever as most of them marry or remarry here so they have basically established a new family here where they could spend the rest of their lives in sickness or in health. Your plan though is different. You only want some change and adventure for the next ten years of your life then go back to the US to die there. In death though I don't think there is any difference where you die. With regards to medical care, for as long as you have the money to foot the hospital bills,you'll be properly cared. After all, Filipinos are best at care-giving.

Since you plan to live here for a while, I suggest you do just that, look around, get the feel of another environment and maybe decide later whether you still want to go back to the US or not.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. SkipJack

SkipJack DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1,160 / 79
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    Please do not worry about the percentages. These type of generalities do not apply to specific situations. If you are part of the 1% that needs things one way it does not matter that 99% need it another.

I would suggest maintaining a health connection to the USA. Complex health solutions like complex surgeries, joint replacements, complex chemotherapy are not as good here as the USA. I have also found that diagnostics in the USA are much more thorough than here. My frame of reference is a colonoscopy and polyp removal. Perhaps the greater cost of healthcare (reward to doctors) in the US leads to doctors working harder to find issues.

Being close to family is a big deal anywhere but more so here in the Philippines. You too will be rewarded with the warmth of being with family even if they are not directly your own.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,532 / 1,016
    I have found in the 12 years I lived in the Philippines that some foreigners come here, particularly to Dumaguete, they arrive with unrealistic expectations. Might be cost of living, girl friends, weather, culture, food, whatever. Making the adjustment is difficult for most, so they leave while others find it is suitable to them. Many single guys experience girl friends who want financial support for their families or maybe cheat on them, married guys too! Medical concerns are high on the worry list. Dumaguete may not be the best place in the Philippines to experience an adventure, other than diving. All depends what you want at this stage of your life. Personally, if I was single, I would not live in this area.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Crystalhead

Crystalhead ADMIN Admin ★ Forum Moderator ★ ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ ★★ Forum Sponsor ★★ ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired
    Ratings:
    +1,977 / 1,087
    I myself retired the day I turned 57 and promptly left Canada about 6 months ago. My plan is to travel all the popular Asian Countries and enjoy diving, photography and video creation. I have no intention to ever go back to the west. My entire Family back home stayed small town dug in. I left when I was 18 and traveled freely creating always my own path during which I traveled back home perhaps 30 times or so. Having said that, if any of my Family wants to see me again they will have to come to the Phils to do so. I do understand that your question is in regards to estimations and such but do fail to grasp how that would correlate to your own personnel decision as to your own retirement. Cheers and best regards.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. OP
    OP
    cabb

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 241
    Do you have children that reside in Canada? If so, what are you thoughts on that and seeing grandchildren?

7. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,207 / 1,082
    Family can be so fickle, I lived in Spain for nigh on 20 years and only 2 hours flight time from the UK. Never in all those years did any of the 3 of them ever think to come see me yet stayed up the coast on the "Costas" Now I am here and here I will stay I do not think they will venture this far, Sad to say but They have all made their own Beds ( Mainly with a lot of help from Dad) but seems no need to Bother so with a shoulder shrug I am now of the same Opinion, Kids you know where I am But.......... I will not hold my Breath :whistling:

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. OP
    OP
    cabb

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 241
    Because I don't have much personal experience I'm trying to leverage the experiences of others. I'm trying to figure out if my expectations are typical or if they are out of the norm. If everyone tells me climbing Mt. Everest is very hard and but I may think it's a piece of cake, my expectation is probably off. If you have a better way outside of living there for years, I'm all ears.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
  9. OP
    OP
    cabb

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 241
    This is what I'm trying to gauge and the reason I joined the forum years ago. Thanks!

10. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,207 / 1,082
    With not knowing fully what your expectations are I have always found it better to go with the Flow, Not always easy but not impossible. Expect Problems daily in the Early years until you find the best way to cope, Here the PI is not to everyone's Liking but again many of us older hands have come to terms with things. Now retired for 6+ years I remember a saying from many " Life, is not a Rehearsal, it is for living" so I live it and Love it! :wink:

• Like Like x 3