Dumaguete Info Search

Rice crisis

Discussion in '☋ Dumaguete City ☋' started by yabs, Apr 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yabs

yabs DI Forum Adept Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    I have been reading about a Rice Crisis happening
    Is it affecting Du maguete?
    Rhoody does Macdonalds serve half portions?
    More worrying is has it had an affect on the price of beer:smile:

2. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    The beer price went up...
    so you have to leave even earlier on our nights out.... hmmm that means you leave late afternoon... Kuripod... hehe

The rice went up and that is really effecting the people here...

3. foxylady313

foxylady313 DI Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    So now, maybe its time that the Filipinos switch back to eating corn grits, which is actually more filling than rice, and much cheaper though!

4. tfa1957

tfa1957 DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    The rice crisis has hit the U.S. also. As scary as it is, we still have barely enough to buy. People who shop at Sams and Costco (big wholesale sort of places) are only allowed to buy 80 pounds of rice at a time now. I know there really has been some concern about the poor crop projections, but this kinda struck my funny bone.

5. daffs

daffs DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    yes....this is a sad story many of my relatives suffered on it.......

6. OP
    OP
    yabs

yabs DI Forum Adept Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    fell guiltuy eating rice now
    maybe instead of robinsons they should put a rice paddie there instead

7. tubigboy

tubigboy DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Sams and Costco dont want people going in there and buying massive amounts of rice. 80 lbs a day is enough for one person. I dont think this has anything to do with rice capacities or that is what was explained on the news.

8. RHB

RHB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 2
    A complicated issue, there is a world wide food shortage comming, it will get worse before it gets better, ironically there was not a "shortage" of rice in the Philippines until aroyyo mentioned it as a means of diverting attention from her real problems with corruption charges.
    The rice reserves where in fact at an all time low, about two weeks I read. But the philippines did not run out, what happened is a panic buying and hording began on the announcement. Chinese distributors began holding back rice for the inevitable price increase.
    rice prices doubled here before leveling off. The let them eat corn logic won't work, while corn is still available, it too suffered a crop yeild reduction this year, so that will not be a long term fix.

Cereal grain prices began to rise across asia at the time, and as the largest importer in the world, the Philippines was in a bad place. Other countries who had invested in their own rice growing technology and were exporting their surplus began to slow down exports due to domestic pressures, creating more panic, and higher prices.

At the same time international critics where blaming the conversion of agricultural lands in Asia to biofuel production as part of the cause of the food shortage. In the face of runaway population growth. this is certainly a controversial subject.

That's about all I know about it.

9. tubigboy

tubigboy DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    I wonder if those "international critics" had any influence from the big oil companies. What is the cost of gas in Saudi? 10 cents a gallon?

10. RHB

RHB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 2
    President Arroyo is set to witness the presentation of the joint venture agreement between the European Firm Global Tree Trust and the Herminio Teves Company, Inc. on for the massive planting of jatropha for biofuels in Tamlang Valley located in southern Negros Oriental.
    About an hour and half travel by land from Dumaguete City, Tamlang Valley is a former hotbed of insurgency located within the boundaries of the municipalities of Valencia, Sta. Catalina, Siaton and Dauin in the southern part of the province.
    Former 3rd District Rep. Herminio Teves spearheaded the massive planting of jatropha for biofuels to expand to some 17,000 hectares through a lease agreement involving P 5 million with the Department of Environment and Negros Oriental.
    The presentation of the said agreement to the President will be done during the luncheon hosted the provincial government here to celebrate the 88th birthday of former Rep. Teves.

So can we assume Teves is getting rich from this? Imagine if all this money went into rice growing technology instead. It is hard to imagine bio fuel development helping the average Philippine household.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.