Dumaguete Info Search

Roses

Discussion in 'Horticulture' started by ShawnM, Apr 30, 2014.

1. ShawnM

ShawnM DI Forum Patron ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Senior Construction Manager
    Ratings:
    +1,744 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    I think I know the answer to the question before I ask it; but wanted to check with the folks first that are gardening. I've been sending some pics to my wife of the roses that are coming up here (they have really taken off); and it seems to have backfired a bit as she wants rose bushes in the Philippines and (other than the house) it is almost all she is talking about and keeps saying she can't get them there (first clue).

A quick search shows limited info on growing roses in the Philippines and mostly what is done is in the cooler, higher altitudes or done in greenhouses or shade houses that are better at regulating temps (second clue). Google is always my first option trying to get information, but was wondering if anyone is growing roses or if they know of any nursery's selling rose bushes. There does seem to be a few varieties that do OK in a semi-tropical area (like Florida), but still not much info to help me figure things out.

I've always liked flowers, but do not have any experience growing them...I've always grown vegetables, some better than others.

Shawn

Attached Files:

2. robgie

robgie DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Shawn, I have most any from snow white, cream, to the tea variety (multiple colored), miniature red and pink,
    Got most of them in Valencia on sundays. But mostly my wife and I ride around and look for new varieties (colors) just stop and ask. There are folks that grow plants, bvut not really nurseries that have roses I know of, nurseries that stock some plants and trees.
    Maybe someone will know of a nursery on Negros. I seen a bigger one in cebu that had so many nice roses under the net maybe half hector.

3. OP
    OP
    ShawnM

ShawnM DI Forum Patron ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Senior Construction Manager
    Ratings:
    +1,744 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    Thanks Robgie...the wife is already planning to go to Valencia this coming Sunday.

Shawn