Dumaguete Info Search

Royal Poinciana

Discussion in 'Horticulture' started by bagongsalta, May 31, 2014.

1. bagongsalta

bagongsalta DI New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I have been wanting to plant a Royal Poinciana tree (AKA Delonix Regia, Flamboyant tree, flame tree), but unable to find a plant/seedling in the Dumaguete and Valencia areas. Does anybody know where to get one, two or three? Thank you.

2. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    If you wat until the seed pods ripen and drop, they are easy to germinate, keep damp until it's well formed.

3. Knowdafish

Knowdafish DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    If the company that is selling plants is still outside Robinson's Mall main entrance, I would ask them. A picture of what you are talking about would also help. They are very knowledgeable when it comes to plants and are good at sourcing plants in the area.

4. OP
    OP
    bagongsalta

bagongsalta DI New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I already asked the plant vendors outside Robinson's as well as the vendors at Valencia Plaza. They are aware of these trees presence in the area, but they don't know where to get the seedlings/plants. Thank you for all your help.

5. Masculado

Masculado DI Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    there are many of that tree on your way to cebu via Santander

6. Dave & Imp

Dave & Imp DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 884
    I believe there is a tree on the south side of the Bacong-Velencia road, in the vicinity of Bambulo Resort. It is in bloom presently. I will try to check it out in the next day or two and post a photo and see if there are seeds on the ground there.

7. mokum

mokum DI Senior Member

retired
    Ratings:
    +574 / 136
    View attachment 10626

Is this the kind of tree you're looking for? I have several of them in full flower now.
    There's only one big seedpot so far I can see, too high to reach but as it falls I can keep it for you and bring it to Dgt some day.

Attached Files:

8. swampstar

swampstar DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I did 2 of these trees from cut branches and both rooted quickly in sandy soil with nice symmetry and maintenance free. A note from the net...
    "...propagation by semi-hardwood cuttings. Branches consisting of the current or last season's growth can be cut into 30 cm sections and planted in a moist potting mixture. This method is slower than seed propagation (cuttings take a few months to root) but is the preferred method for ensuring new trees are true to form. As such, cuttings are a particularly common method of propagation for the rarer yellow-flowering variety of the tree."

9. Dave & Imp

Dave & Imp DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 884
    Pictures of tree on Bacong-Valencia road

Here are some pictures of the tree I mentioned close to Bambulo Resort on the road between Bacong and Valencia. It is very large, and located inside a fence... it's branches with seed pods extend beyond the fence so you should be able to gather seeds soon. View attachment 10636 View attachment 10637

Attached Files:

10. swampstar

swampstar DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    View attachment 10642
    This is one of the 6 month old flame trees from a cut branch of a very large and very old tree. I simply stuck them into the ground without any preparation.

Attached Files: