Dumaguete Info Search

San Francisco Food

Discussion in 'Dining - Nightlife - Entertainment' started by Sedona, Apr 1, 2018.

1. Sedona

Sedona DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +673 / 102
    I will start off with a comment I'm sure some will disagree with. After having lived for 30+ years in San Francisco, one of the things that I miss THE most about living here is good food. I think that I have tried nearly every supposed top level good restaurant in Dgt, and I mean, there needs to be at least a certain minimum threshold of quality just to earn that first star, and I have not found a restaurant here yet that I would rate with even just one star.

2. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,209 / 1,086
    I guess we all have our own views but then, it depends your own Criteria of any staring system

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    Yeah I heard about the good food in San Fran

• Funny Funny x 3
  4. Lorraine

Lorraine DI Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +69 / 21
    Blood Type:
    B-
    Don't worry, you will eventually forget about the food in SF, if only out of necessity!

5. Edward K

Edward K DI Senior Member Veteran Navy

Ratings:
    +995 / 82
    AHHH, Mr Sedona, I like your comment, BUT i also like the RiceaRoni comment, haha (i have never made rice from a box)....

It's a "cost - benefit" analysis

I moved to SF in 1973, so that gives me 45 years of great food, eating out several times a week. YES ABSOLUTELY ABSOLUTELY I MISS THE FOOD... BUT BUT BUT:

Good food in SF is breakfast for $30 (1500 pesos) for two people (Just for you), hot restaurants with a two hour wait on weekends was $50 (2500 pesos), the best Sushi restaurant in SF is 5000 pesos, good ones are 2000. Dinners are in the 2500 peso range. Even cheap places like Hard Knox are over 1500 pesos. But the lower the price range, the more like Dumaguete food SF food becomes...

I'll throw in that the lack of great Thai here is sickening, as is Dim Sum (harbor view is unforgivable, mr lee at lee hypermart is passable, barely (any recommendatioms?)..

As for stars), there are a few which clip the 3 star range with tastes which emulate SF, maybe Alima, Kri (same owners), maybe Adamo, Andy's, Salaya, Atmosphere.. PS i like Casablanca a lot, huge schnitzel.. Dozens of others have fun menus with good food.. As for * or ***, i concede i ain't no critic, but i like them the best...

Also for SF, i don't miss 300,000 peso rents for small unfurnished, 75,000 car break-ins per year, 10,000 homeless camped out in tents on the sidewalks, traffic like cebu, bicycle thieves caught with a stolen bus and 50 bicycles released after two days, building PERMIT costs for a short wall over P250,000. List goes on and on, like the chances of a delivered package disappearing off ur doorstep is 80%...

So my "benefits" of living in Dgte far outweigh the "costs" of leaving SF..

Oh yeah, and the yummy "froccinos" at Bos are better than whatever crap starbucks is dishing out... So whats Tom & Toms ????

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. OP
    OP
    Sedona

Sedona DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +673 / 102
    Absolutely good point Edward about the cost comparison. I'm constantly amazed when getting the check after a dinner for four and it's like 20 bucks US. On the other hand, I would like the option to maybe pay a bit more for a better dining experience at least once in awhile. I've tried all but two of those that you named, and okay, on a good night they might get one star. I'm looking forward to trying the two that I have missed though, and yeah, I have found some good coffee spots.

• Like Like x 1
  7. filmguy

filmguy DI Member

Ratings:
    +100 / 7
    Blood Type:
    A+
    try gabbys grill above yellow cab pizza on the boulevard its as close to american food as you will find here I always found it fairly good

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Happy Camper

Happy Camper DI Senior Member Restricted Account Infamous Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,395 / 180
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Another option is going out and purchasing some good ingredients and making your own food to suit your particular tastes.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    There are two more Gabby's Bistros in Dumaguete that are not as busy and have a bit better service than the one on the boulevard.

One is at Florintina Homes on Rovira Dr. and the other is Gabby's Bed and Breakfast in Claytown, Daro.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    I think Adamo is a class act with a master chef owner.

• Informative Informative x 1