Dumaguete Info Search

Saving (money for that rainy or Hot days)

Discussion in 'Banking - Investing - Finances' started by Jack Peterson, May 31, 2016.

1. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    :o o: Given this really Hot Weather, as one would expect my Electric Bill is Quite high due to the A/C"s running more than usual. So After coming back from my break on Siquijor I was not well for some time, In all, I missed on 3 Outings I would have gone to in that time and at a conservative count saved some 1.700 peso which more than covered the Extra I needed to pay for Electric. Just goes to show that even given the cheapness ( At times of Living here and Socializing) We can if needed tighten out belts a little and stopping Home a couple of Days can save us some cash.
    Maybe not a Topic for everyone to join in but just my thoughts on how to cope sometimes when we are on a fixed Income.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I've been having a problem that has caused me to "tighten my belt" a bit; my Xoom account was locked for suspicious activity (they think I'm laundering money :meh:) and this was the only reliable way I had to get money into country. The timing was crap as my account was locked when I only had around P500 in my pocket :wideyed:. Pretty rough couple days last week but luckily, and somewhat surprisingly, some of the local friends I've made since becoming single have thrown out offers to feed me, come over with some alcohol and even offer to loan me some money until I get it sorted out....I've only taken a few of them up on the food and alcohol because I have expat friends that are due for repayment on cash loans and I've been going around and collecting on to hold me off until I get this nonsense sorted out. (I would rather starve for awhile than take money from locals that can't afford to be loaning out any money.)

I'm actually kinda happy for all this nonsense because it has shown me something that I didn't think could happen here, and that is; kindness can actually come back around. Also a bit surprising is that I didn't even ask for help from these locals, they just offered it as soon as they heard the reason why I had not been out for a couple days......most of the expats I had helped out in the past on the other hand...."that sucks, best of luck to ya". :meh: Some needed a reminder of that P10-30k that I had loaned them months back that had never been paid back. I do have a few friends here that are staying good on their word though.

Still don't have the Xoom thing figured out yet but I am going to go open a local bank account today (something I've been trying to avoid ever since I came to the Philippines) so that I have an alternative way to get myself cash. I was also able to Western Union myself a good chunk of change.....and at a horrible exchange rate and an excessive transaction fee. :shifty:

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. robert k

robert k DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,213 / 264
    Does this mean you can no longer send $2,999 for $2.99? That was how I used to do it and send dollars not peso, change as needed or when you think the rate is ok. I will check on it later.

4. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    For now I can't send myself money. I have been trying to deal with it through their customer support for the past week.....which has been a headache to say the least. Sending USD through Xoom has a higher transaction fee. I think it is 7.99 instead of the normal 4.99. Don't really know which is a better deal and sending USD adds an extra step (currency exchange) so I have never send USD.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. AlwaysRt

AlwaysRt DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Blood Donor Veteran Air Force Marines

Ratings:
    +1,329 / 391
    Blood Type:
    A+
    No "backup" ATM card? I still use my Schwab card at BPI ATMs with no issues. Seem to always get an excellent exchange rate, there is a p200 withdrawal fee which in my case Schwab reimburses every month. Even eating the p200 fee is better than being blocked from your funds.

• Like Like x 2
  6. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    Seems to me a lot of people here are having probs with banks etc,myself included.
    Hsbc are also employing people who are brain dead.my residence is registered here and my manager in uk knows me but still twice this year I've had problems.
    Now they want to know what property I own and household bills in wife's name and notorized docs to say we own the property and so it goes on.
    They even sent me second class pre paid envelopes expecting me to be able to send them from here without payment and expect to recieve them!
    I just ignore them now,it's not my prob if they were caught for serious fraud a few hrs back.
    On a positive note I did receive £50 compensation for their total fick up earlier in the year!
    So the land of stupid has spread now far and wide!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    My atm card is a discover card that is next to worthless in this country. I have another bank that has a visa debit card but they were unable to get it to me in the US before i left last time and there is absolutely no way in hell I'm sending it through the postal service here.

All other cards have expired since the last time i was in the US.

Finally opened an account today with RCBC. Tried BPI first but i realized they were completely incompetent even before opening an account so walked out.

All should be good to go now.

• Like Like x 1
  8. AlwaysRt

AlwaysRt DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Blood Donor Veteran Air Force Marines

Ratings:
    +1,329 / 391
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Amazing how something we took for granted our entire lives is practically non existent in most of the world.

Would you recommend RCBC or just stateing where you went? Do you think the BPI issue was branch related (which one) or a reflection on the bank as a whole?

9. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I believe that I had asked my bank once if it could be possible to send a card to the PI....I think the response was a chuckle and then a "no". Might as well be sending cash through the postal service here. A debit card, even without the PIN could easily be used as credit with just a signature and my entire account cleaned out before bank or myself ever noticed. It's just way to risky to send something with access to that much money through the postal service here.

I walked out of BPI because when I went to open an account there was one person in front of me being served. The person who had the job of helping customers told me to go sit down for awhile and I would be next. I sat for 30 minutes waiting for that person to finish but then noticed after they finished they had let another person go ahead of me. I got up and asked what the deal was and they said that I needed to sign my name to a peace of paper (kinda like taking a number....but before the invention of flash cards that had numbers pre-printed on them). When handed the paper I had noticed that the 5 people that had walked in just before the person before me finishing had wrote their names down and they tried writing my name after everyone that had just walked in. I said "screw that" and walked out angrily. (While in there I had also noticed that everyone sitting down waiting in the main teller line.....of which only 1 of the 5 windows were open.....had been there before me and it was taking at least 15-20 minutes to serve each customer for something as simple as making a deposit.) If this is how they do business in their other branches I have no idea......but I wasn't about to go to the other branch and find out.

I went to RCBC because it was the closest bank to my location that I knew existed nationwide (mostly anyways). I went to the small branch across the street from Hotel Essentia. I walked in and they immediately started asking if I had all the requirements. I had everything except for x2 1"x1" photos. I ran down to 1 Hour Photo (or something like that) and got 4 of them for P40 in about 20-30 minutes and went back. Again they immediately took all my IDs/information and I started filling out the forms. About 30-40 minutes later they were asking me for the initial deposit (P500) and then handing me a ATM card. While I was in there I did not see a customer sitting and waiting for more than 10 minutes.

The only place RCBC screwed up was with forgetting taking my picture with their web-cam on the initial visit. I had actually left the branch to go meet someone else (who was paying back a loan) when the young lady called my mobile to tell me she forgot to get my picture. I went back, she took the picture and then I made another deposit with some of the money that had been given to me from the loan....I was in and out in 5 minutes. I haven't been a customer for a full day and I haven't even tried to use the ATM card yet but I am far more impressed with them than I was with BPI at this point. I feel the RCBC is far more professional and has a ton more common sense when dealing with customers than BPI......but again, I've only been a customer for less than 12 hours.

• Like Like x 2
  10. robert k

robert k DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,213 / 264
    Since my bank and money are in the US, I use WU USA and select do not track. I tried to use WU Philippines once or twice and it was not happening. I don't want to state that the Philippines has infected WU Philippines business practices but that was the impression I was left with.