Dumaguete Info Search

Schools closed today, typhoon warning.

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by pfotoguy, Nov 5, 2013.

1. pfotoguy

pfotoguy DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +1 / 1
    Anybody got any news? looks great outside, "now"

2. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
  3. redneck

redneck DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +10 / 0

Strong winds are not an actual tornado. This report does not give strong evidence of a funnel, maybe some straight-line winds. I have experienced 90 mph straight-line winds, but they were not a "tornado". I guess that is like those of us (myself included) who come from places that do not have "actual" earthquakes, we get all excited about a 3.0 tremblor and cry "EARTHQUAKE!!"

4. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    It wasn't much. It seemed like any other rainy day. Don't worry tornado fans, there is supposed to be another one coming through around the end of the week called Yolanda. Maybe this one will give us more of a show.

5. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    Having spent 10 years in the midwestern US, I know full well the difference between a tornado and a straight line wind. I also have some first hand knowledge of what a microburst is. I doubt the writer of the article did, however.

Small funnel clouds and even hail are not uncommon in northern Negros, and just last year the same was had in the hills outside Carcar, so a funnel cloud in Cebu is not so farfetched.

Larry

6. Knowdafish

Knowdafish DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    [​IMG]

7. redneck

redneck DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    I hear ya. Lived in tornado alley (Oklahoma City/Moore areas) for 44 years. The May 3rd tornado killed my neighbor who never heard the warnings, we didn't have a storm shelter so tried to outrun it, hot on our heels for miles!! It just missed our house and we had pre-ordered a storm shelter the week before, so we were the first ones to get ours after that terrible calamity. Spent a few hours in it afterwards. Okies tend to stand outside and watch them until the bitter last moment, but the worst are the ones that come in the middle of night. Thank goodness for NOAA weather radios!!

8. redneck

redneck DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    Definitely pray for those in the path....this could be totally devastating to areas still trying to recover from the earthquake. Hopefully, it will change direction or just dissipate.

9. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    UPDATE: PAGASA confirms tornado at 52 knots
    By: Channel Marie Imperial
    Posted on Monday, November 4, 2013
    UPDATE as of 12 a.m., Nov. 5, 2013: PAGASA confirms tornado hit Lapu-Lapu and Mandaue

Alex Paden of PAGASA said that they measured the tornado that hit the cities of Lapu-Lapu and Mandaue at 52 knots, reading from their wind vane.

Paden added they were not able to detect the tornado because they had turned off their radar due to lightning earlier.

According to Ariel Berdon of Lapu-Lapu, he heard from those on Olango island that the tornado started in between the waters of Bohol and Olango then traveled to the mainland at the Mactan Liberty Shrine.

However, Paden said that they cannot confirm yet the path of the tornado.

The badly injured victims were brought to the Vicente Sotto Memorial Medical Center.

Timely, Engaging, Narrative | tenminutes.ph -BREAKING: Lapu-Lapu City hit by tornado earlier this evening

Larry

10. roadking

roadking DI Member Veteran Air Force

Ratings:
    +4 / 0