Dumaguete Info Search

Schools In Dumaguete

Discussion in '☋ Dumaguete City ☋' started by BAZ, Mar 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BAZ

BAZ DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Hi, I am thinking of moving with my Filipina wife to Dumaguete and our 5year old daughter who does not speak tagalog. My question is what is the best school for my daughter to attend?
    I know that my daughter will pick up quick with the local talk, but like all of us I would like her to go to the best schools we can provide for her so she can have the best of education that we can afford.

2. cheskaraul

cheskaraul DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    well there's ABC Learning Center and SIMON though I'm not sure what age you can start in SIMON :smile:

3. sheelah

sheelah DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    school in dumaguete

Aside from Cheskarauls' suggestions, you may want to check out Negros Oriental Montessori International School. I looked it up in the internet and here is the link: Montessori.org. It was in Junob before I left but I'm not sure if they're still there.

4. cheskaraul

cheskaraul DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey sheelah... hahaha SIMON is short for Negros Oriental Montessori International School. Sorry, got used to using it's abbreviation. :smile:

5. OP
    OP
    BAZ

BAZ DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Thanks Girls For The Info,i Will Look That Site Up...any Idea What The Fees Are For Education At This School?

6. PhilT

PhilT DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
    Just a word and my opinion, no matter what school you choose or what fee you pay, do not expect the school to be as good as any in the west. thats not an insult but a fact, recently I knew of someone who had the best education in Dgte but after had to go to new zealand to top up His education to bring it up to western standards. I worked in foundation for awhile, and my general opinion is that education has stood still, standard wise, for many years in Phils, and certainly not improved anywhere. That is the biggest drawback when you have school aged children and want to live there, I am sure that any kids who have had a western education up to this point, when they start school in the Phils will be bored and not stimulated, they will go backwards, and on top of it all you have to pay! Please do not get me wrong I am not flaming this thread, but that is my opinion, and it is a concern. I have nieces and Sister in laws who are teachers and they all say the same thing, as Teachers they are starved of material to work with, and also the Gov't curriculum is very boring and rigid. Books in the Phils???? what books!! even the silliman library is very bland and boring with dated publications. Sorry to upset anyone here, but that is the way it is, Yes silliman is the best uni around in the phils, but its probably the on the same par as say an average college in the west. eg : Science lessons have no experiments, its all out of a book, no equipment for any practical stuff, Phils education is strictly out of a book. eg : go along and view the text books in any school such as english, and its very boring content. please come back here and tell me I am wrong! I hope I am completely wrong! but from what I have seen, its lacking. For those of you who have older kids who have been brought up in western schools please tell me that Phils Schools are better, but I think you will not be able to say that.

okay, just my opinion, do not jump down my throat!

7. cheskaraul

cheskaraul DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey PhilT,

No worries. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. Some people just can't afford better schools and some just want to stay close to home. But to each his own right? :smile:

You're welcome Baz. My cousins children go to SIMON, i shall ask them on the fees. :smile:

8. PhilT

PhilT DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
    No you misunderstand, no matter what school you attend and what fee you pay, the schools there are inferior to any western school/college/uni.

9. cheskaraul

cheskaraul DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    And you misunderstand me, not everyone can afford to travel out of the philippines to go to a western university. Some can't even afford the universities in the bigger cities here in this country.

10. PhilT

PhilT DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
    Okay

Agh yes I agree with you, but thats my point, when living in the phils there are 2 things you are going to have trouble with, Schools and Health. why live in the phils to send your kids abroad for schooling!! so you are stuck with whats on offer there, and whats on offer is not as good as the west.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.