Dumaguete Info Search

Scuba Diving in Dumaguete

Discussion in '☋ Diving and Marine Life ☋' started by The Dane, Nov 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Dane

The Dane DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +14 / -0
    There are a lot of dive centers along the coast line from Dumaguete out to Dauin. And the area down here has around 30 good dive sites spanning from beginner sites to sites for advanced scuba divers.

The best diving in Dumaguete is on Apo Island, some of the dive sites out on Apo island has very strong current though, so even good swimmers should be careful.

I went by the dive center in El Dorado Beach Resort, and that looked very big and professional, they also have a good book with information about all the dive sites in Dumaguete.

2. firea

firea DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +4 / -0
    Would you know of any dive operators who would charge at Filipino friendly prices? I've lived here for about 9 months and I haven't gone diving. My reason? I still think that 20 dollars per dive would burn a hole in my pocket. :eek:

I'm a PADI advanced diver and I've done more than 60 dives. Diving in Anilao/Coron was not expensive for me. They have rates for locals. Maybe it would be cheaper to dive in Dumaguete if it was a group. You guys have a dive group I can join? :rolleyes:

3. OP
    OP
    The Dane

Ratings:
    +14 / -0
    Welcome to Dumaguete Info :smile:

Have you got all your own equipment? then it would probably be a lot easier to get in to a dive group, we are taking our PADI courses next month, so we will hopefully get out diving soon as well.

I guess we will slowly get our own equipment as well and then we just need to find a place to fill tanks :smile:

I havent seen any of the dive centers or resorts advertise local rates, but then again, that is probably the whole idea about tourist / local rates :smile:

4. firea

firea DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +4 / -0
    Yep, I have my basic equipment. I only need to rent weights/weight belt and a tank. I'm not so keen about buying these since I don't have a car here in Dumaguete. Tanks would require care and maintenance.

If you'll be buying your own equipment start with the wetsuit, mask and fins.

5. OP
    OP
    The Dane

Ratings:
    +14 / -0
    Maybe you should see if you could get more certifications, once you hit divemaster I would think you could have a good chance on going on free dives with dive groups as assistant divemaster or something...

Just an idea :smile: don't know if it would work :smile:

6. firea

firea DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +4 / -0

I do plan to finish several certifications up to dive master. Unfortunately though, I think i need to work on my swimming skills. I can barely swim and I need to be a strong one to pass the rescue diver certification. :smile:

7. waterbaby74

waterbaby74 DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / -0
    Hi divers all! check out a new diveshop called DIVEWORX located at Barangay Daro, Dumaguete. Its along the road so you can't possibly miss it. The owner ,Glenn Carballo, is a certified PADI instructor. :smile:

8. garbonzo

garbonzo DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Retired
    Ratings:
    +30 / -0
    Hi,

Nice to have this section too for divers...good thinking!!

Just curious, are there any wrecks for diving in the Dumaguete area?

9. firea

firea DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +4 / -0
    I heard there is one but I'm not too sure. It could just be a fishing boat though.

Have you tried wreck diving in Coron?

10. OP
    OP
    The Dane

Ratings:
    +14 / -0
    Wreck diving in Dumaguete

I asked the divemaster in Apo Island Beach Resort yesterday, he said there is no wreck diving here, but he might just be talking about Apo Island, I do not think the Apo Island Dive centers do a lot of mainland dive sites :smile:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.