Dumaguete Info Search

Second Canadian hostage killed?

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by Kym, Jun 13, 2016.

1. Kym

Kym DI Member

Ratings:
    +61 / 1
    Blood Type:
    O-
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I guess Canada does not pay ransom? If everyone followed their lead these scum wouldn't even be trying to kidnap people in the first place.

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. OP
    OP
    Kym

Kym DI Member

Ratings:
    +61 / 1
    Blood Type:
    O-
    Not sure why National Govt does not impose martial law down there, curfews, ID checks.. the works.. - but I guess too busy in Madnila rorting pesos. I see Indonesia paid 4m usd$ to get their crew out. It sure is big business.. Estimates are these thugs gross about 6m USD$ per year. Maybe Superman D30 can clean up these human vermin

• Like Like x 2
  4. Show Pony

Show Pony DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +2,368 / 1,258
    Canada does not pay a ransom otherwise they would effectively be putting a bounty on their citizens heads.
    If the Abu Saif were not making money they would stop.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. ChMacQueen

ChMacQueen DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,386 / 173
    In many cases its not to hard to find out around where the kidnappers and their families are from while may not know the street address. Start slaughtering their families and friends in return. Send in a team such as the Navy Seals or SAS with a target location and purge the location. I'd bet this crap would stop pretty fast. And when you can't find the family or the specific people target any that are part of the group or supporters of the group and their families. Kill 1 Canadian and have your entire clan wiped out.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. charlyB

charlyB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1,096 / 332
    The news report states they were on Jolo, this is not a very big island 869 sq km, surely it must be within the capabilities of the Philippine navy to surround / blockade or at least make it very difficult to leave the island then put as much troops as possible at one end and sweep it clean to the other end.
    An action like this may not end the conflict but it would end the ones who did this.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. robert k

robert k DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,213 / 264
    Interesting. The navy cutters might be involved but interdict by air would probably be necessary as a boat can only chase one other boat at a time unless multiple boats are going in the same direction, but doable.

A small island like that brings up many possibilities that wouldn't work so well on a larger land mass. I would suppose they have television, radio and cellphones, take that away. Take fuel and electricity away, all communication will be in person or by runner, literally. No fishing will happen, at least not from boats. No wells or municipal water supply.

After a few months, land troops to take all significant bridges to fortify and hold them and I mean fortify, as in suicide to attack.

From that point, you have a lot of choices. I think one of the most effective would be to do nothing. Don't even talk to them. But if you get bored you could always go to an isolated town in force and turn it upside down.

Many options.

Who knows, the Canadians might be willing to pay for it?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    The DEA and Forestry Service in the US can fly a plane over huge patches of forest and use thermal imagery to find tiny pot farms because marijuana puts off a slightly higher heat signature than other plants......so why is it the Philippines cannot fly one of their C-130s with military grade thermal cameras over the tiny island to find a muztard camp that is going to throw off a ton more heat? There can't be that many people camping out in the jungle on that little island. I think the MILF (the one that runs the show in the ARMM) might be running interference and actively campaigning against such a simple solution.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    5000 government troops have been deployed to Sulu to go after the Abu Sayyaf group that beheaded two Canadian nationals in the last two months.

Maj. Filemon Tan Jr., spokesperson of the Western Mindanao Command, said all resources from land, sea and air have been made available for Sulu operations.

He said troops from all the service commands like the Philippine Marines, Army, Air Force and Navy, and the different support commands like the Scout Rangers and Special Force have been operating in Sulu.

5,000 soldiers deployed to pursue Abu Sayyaf in Sulu

• Informative Informative x 2
  10. horizon155

horizon155 DI Forum Adept Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor

Information Tech
    Ratings:
    +121 / 44
    Blood Type:
    A+
    From my past 4+ years in the Philippines this is what I have observed about the Philippine Military. Its no different then your average Joe neighbor wearing a baseball cap that says Army, camo tshirt, and a Used Vietnam era M-16 uncleaned leftover rifle. No armor, vests, chest rigs, Nightvision, any type of decent communication (probably prepaid globe texts) - and the weaponry is outdated. Maybe government should put money elsewhere instead of our terrific politicians pockets. :wink: