Dumaguete Info Search

Security Advisory: Silliman suspends classes

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by Obliged Friend, Aug 2, 2019.

1. Obliged Friend

Obliged Friend DI Forum Adept Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +288 / 77
    Blood Type:
    O-
    Is this small enough?

Attached Files:

• Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
  2. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,853 / 1,022
    Blood Type:
    A+
  3. Glendazumba

Glendazumba DI Forum Adept

teaching
    Ratings:
    +729 / 36
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    Classes were suspended at Silliman University yesterday for security reasons. There could be another "bomb threat" because I saw a SWAT vehicle with a trained dog (probably used to sniff bombs, etc) enter SU campus.
    They probably received a text message or some info about a possible explosion because earlier there had been this warning circulating that a rebel group is planning to bomb a mall either in Cebu, Dumaguete, or Guihulngan on August 2 (yesterday), that is why. It could have been fake news or a prank but people are taking threats like this seriously.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. fahr_side

fahr_side DI Member

Ratings:
    +118 / 23
    There are also people looking for excuses to implement martial law on this island.

• Like Like x 1
  5. OP
    OP
    Obliged Friend

Obliged Friend DI Forum Adept Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +288 / 77
    Blood Type:
    O-
    MANILA -- Angered by the spate of killings in Negros Oriental, President Rodrigo Duterte on Friday vowed that the communist groups will have to pay for their crimes committed against the Filipinos and the government.

“I’ve been telling you, I will implement a more severe measure. What --- what is it? Maghintay lang kayo. Kasi sabi ko sumosobra na kayo (Just you wait, you have crossed the line),” the President said in his speech during the distribution of Certificates of Land Ownership Award (CLOA) to agrarian reform beneficiaries in Davao City.

The President acknowledged that some areas in the country remain unprotected from the atrocities of the NPA, the armed wing of the Communist Party of the Philippines (CPP-NPA). Most remote communities, he said, still lack the presence of government forces.

Despite this, the President said the NPA still has no reason to kill "unrestrained, unbridled, uncontrolled, as if you are the killing machine of the Filipino.”

When he was mayor here for 23 years, the President said there was never a time when the military allowed torture or hurt NPA surrenderers, even those who were captured.

Duterte was saddened by the ISIS-style execution of Negros cops, Cpl. Relebert Beronio, and Patrolmen Raffy Callao, Roel Cabellon, Marquino de Leon by communist rebels as medical reports showed severe hematomas all over their bodies.

A few days after the bodies were found in Ayungon on July 18 this year, the national government raised a PHP5-million bounty for the capture of the killers.

“I will not take it sitting down, I told my military and police, “Gawin mo sa kanila (Do it to them also)," he said.

“The local government’s down. I will not allow you to do that. I will not. I will give you a tit for tat. That's my order to the military. Give them what they deserve,” he said, adding that communists are not fighting a conventional war and are violators of the Geneva Convention.

He also noted that the presence of communists in the rural areas halts development plans of the government.

“The countryside is infested with parasites like you. You do not work, you exact taxation,” Duterte said.

He added that Karapatan, a human rights group that supports the causes of communism, operates as a legal front of the communist party.

Itong mga komunista (These communists), they’re blaming government for the killings when actually you [they] started the spate of murders there,” he added, recalling the fatal shootout that killed nine sugar farmers in Sagay City, Negros Occidental in October 2018.

“I only want law-abiding citizens walking the streets at night. I do not want gangsters and muggers walking around,” he said. (PNA)

• Like Like x 3
  6. fahr_side

fahr_side DI Member

Ratings:
    +118 / 23
    Mindanao used to have a thriving tourism sector eh? Pretty sure imposing martial law was a major factor in killing that off.