Dumaguete Info Search

SEO Advice

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Canadianized, Jul 3, 2015.

1. Canadianized

Canadianized DI Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +224 / 27
    I have been doing this for years but have recently given up. I just do my own stuff now. The problem with SEO is getting someone who cares. Indian SEO people can actually hurt your standings in the long run. But people are greedy and they for it. At first they have good rating but after awhile their website falls into an abyss. You can't get people anymore to pay for good SEO. Some of the larger companies understand this and hire their own SEO team. But most private website owners just don't get it. They have a little knowledge of SEO and they think they know it all.

I had a recent guy want to increase traffic to his website. He thinks he can do this all of a sudden with Google. If you want to pay a ransom for Google Ad Words ok. But if you think you can get more traffick in a small amount time doing some SEO with Google you live in a fantasy world. It is getting harder and harder to not only rank high in Google but to get traffick from it. I had a person recently tell me he was #1 for his keywords in Google. He was quite proud of that. The problem is that nobody is typing or searching directly for that keyword/phrase. Google has an Adword Planner. Just go there and type in the keywords you want to rank for. You will how many people are actually searching for that keyword.

For example, how many people are searching for Dumaguete Info. Likely nobody. How about Dumaguete Information maybe the same thing. So you say well I rank #1 when people search about Dumaguete Information. That's true, but how much traffic will you get from these searches in a day?

Let's turn this around. Let's look at social media for traffic. Forget about this nonsense with Google. All the SEO you do with Indians is going to go in the toilet. You are better off paying Google and run an Adwords campaign.

Ok, this is some free advice I am giving you. Focus on Twitter and a few Face Book Pages....these are sub pages of Facebook. Open a few Twitter accounts and start there. Open a Pinterest account and a Tumblr account. Post content with your images.

If you do this correctly you will be able to get a total of 20,000 followers in Twitter in 3 or 4 months. Same with Tumblr and Pinterest. Facebook will be slow but if you can key in on your specific Fan Pages you are golden. Look at BidForMe on Facebook with around 80,000 followers! Do you think they care about ranking in Google?

First, look at your target audience. Explore what keywords/phrases you want to rank for. Yes, using the keyword planner or micronichefinder to sort out what keywords are good is important. But don't think of Google as the all in one most important source for your traffic.

So now that I have bored you to death there are lots of other tactics that can be used. Such as bots and proxies to name but a few.

Ask yourself, "what do I want to accomplish?" Do I want to make money with affiliates and what niches do I want to target. For example, running ads as an affiliate for car insurance, health insurance and maybe best flights to the Philippines may be lucrative. Or, target keywords like Cheap Philippine Vacation as a Facebook Page or Twitter account.

When I tell people all of this they back off because I charged them allot for my service and my knowledge. They go to http:fiverr.com and look up some Indian providers to give them 100.000 100% proven links to their website. After awhile Google sandboxes them and they wonder why.

Over time your website should climb very high in Google's search rankings if you follow the format above. But I caution you to not rely on Google for traffic when you start out. And, if you insist on Google make sure that all of your linking is drip fed nice and slow and that it diversified!

• Like Like x 2
  2. OP
    OP
    Canadianized

Ratings:
    +224 / 27
    I have to agree with this statement. Not only is there little interest nobody wants to pay for the service. They all want it for basically free or they go and get the crap stuff from http:/fiverr.com SEO is more complicated now than it has every been. Google has made is so hard to rank for keywords that most website owners are force to pay for ad-word campaigns.

A person trying to SEO for potential clients in Dumaguete may as well sell fruit on the street. You need to find people who think outside of the box and that isn't going to happen here.

3. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    Search engines are getting to be outdated for finding information. Part of the difficulty in ranking is that the volume of content is always increasing at insane rates.

Back in the day, there was so little content that even a directory service such as that which Yahoo provided was fine. Then directories became unwieldy and search engines moved in. Now search engines need to be replaced.

Google is no longer effective for a growing slice of my search needs. Now I need to complement those queries with services which specialize in certain verticals.

This is because your sales machine isn't doing it's job. People may not be willing to pay for X service. They absolutely will be willing to invest money into something which returns a clear ROI. A service which can make X return on X investment sells itself. With good clients, you can write your own checks based on that ROI.

Being based in the Philippines is challenge though. It's easier to sell these services when you can meet your clients face to face.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. OP
    OP
    Canadianized

Ratings:
    +224 / 27
    I want to say something regarding your post but will refrain from doing so. You seem to know everything about everything so no need!

5. TheDude

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    Don't hold back, go for it. Maybe I assume too much, but I feel maybe I have offended you. Perhaps it's the "don't tell me how to do my job" syndrome.

I don't know why it's so easy to p*ss people off on the internet.

I regularly contribute to a site where questions about this sort (how much to charge, how to charge more, why aren't people willing to hire me at my rate) of things pop up daily. We trade information, everything from steaming crap to gleaming gold. Personally, I'm open and grateful for all of it.

Anyways, you have me totally wrong. One of the pillars of how I approach my work is that I don't know what I'm doing. This is what I have taken from my years of experience. I have also learned that it's okay because nobody else knows what they are doing either.

Same forum as I mentioned above; we often discuss imposter syndrome. Often, not only do we feel we don't know what we are doing, but we can't even give ourselves credit for the things which we are decently competent in.

That said, at the end of the day, someone still has to do it. Though I often feel like I don't know what I'm doing, someone still has to do it and the people around me don't know much better than I do. If it works, then keep jamming. If it doesn't work, then adjust.

The tech field is humbling.

• Like Like x 2
  6. TheDude

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    Nevermind, I just figured out who you are. If you want to continue this thread, we might as well talk it over a beer.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. OP
    OP
    Canadianized

Ratings:
    +224 / 27
    I look at advice in many ways. I look at the source. Is it reputable? Is the person giving the advice trustworthy? Does that person show any signs that he is making money on the subject at hand? Is he/she walking around with empty pockets and full of talk. Promises made and not fulfilled. I learned early in life that ideas and thoughts are easily shared. When it comes to spending money that advice is taken more seriously. So, when someone who shows no sign of success starts giving me advice on how I should run my life or business I usually show them my back. And, I have no respect for people who take money on the pretense that they know what they are doing and can't back it up.

If this is your philosophy in life you are welcome to it. But please don't expect me to appreciate the way you do business in this world. We all know the saying that "bullshit baffles brains" but when the rubber hits the road where are these people? Can you depend on them? This is absolutely true when it comes to SEO because everyone has an opinion on how it should be done, but not many have actually done it themselves. Most places that offer SEO are only interested in separating money from the wallets of their clients. Case in point with the "The Dudes" comment.

That's one of the biggest problems with SEO! Most people don't have a clue about this business but they are willing to take money from people who need SEO done. It has given this business a bad name. Maybe because of your new found term "the Imposter Syndrome" that you made up! Maybe it should be called the "fake provider syndrom."

Lastly, your correct saying "maybe I have offended you. Perhaps it's the "don't tell me how to do my job" syndrome." If you have valid experience with your work and and it shows with the way you speak to others with a certain demure (demure syndrome), and you present yourself as a profession manner then you have my attention. Then I can take critical criticism. But if you are known to not have any credibility it is a "hard pill to swallow syndrome," for me.

So maybe, you should be giving some proven tactics you use for your successful lifestyle? How you make :greedy:$ a day without leaving your home? It's a forum where people share good ideas not just criticism. Don't be shy!

Don't be so quick to criticize others when your plan of success is sinking like a rock!

8. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Moved these off topic posts into their own thread as it is good information for anyone running a website.