Dumaguete Info Search

September - Abu Sayaff Boarded Korean Cargo Ship, Kidnapped Captain

Discussion in 'News and Weather' started by redhorse, Nov 4, 2016.

1. redhorse

redhorse DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +269 / 62
    I didn't see this anywhere else on the forums, so given the interest in possible Abu Sayaff activity in Cebu figured I'd post it. In what seems to be a first for them they boarded a fairly large cargo ship transiting from Australia to South Korea near Tawi-Tawi in September. Kidnapped the Korean master and at least one crewman. (The first link incorrectly identifies a crewman as Korean, I read elsewhere he's Filipino) .
    Abu Sayyaf militants kidnapped two seamen from heavy lift ship Dongbang Giant 2 | Maritime Herald
    http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2016/10/21/world/asia/ap-as-philippines-abducted-korean.html
    Vessel details for: DONGBANG GIANT NO.2 (Heavy Load Carrier) - IMO 9481788, MMSI 441440000, Call Sign DSPS9 Registered in Korea | AIS Marine Traffic

The Dongbang Giant No. 2 is a heavy load carrier that can carry ultra large industrial units. Shown here with what looks to be petrochemical equipment:

[​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. OP
    OP
    redhorse

redhorse DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +269 / 62
    My mistake, not September, I was thinking about something else as I typed. The attack occurred about two weeks ago in October. Too late to edit my original post.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Dave & Imp

Dave & Imp DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 884
    Yes, I notice this when it first came out in the Media. Of coarse it is news would not be good for Duterte's get tough reputation. The story seemed to have just "disappeared". Do anyone know more information. What happened to the Ship's Captain, and the Filipino deck hand?

4. OP
    OP
    redhorse

redhorse DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +269 / 62
    This update from a couple of days later has some info on the Filipino crewman's family. It also mentions the Cebu terrorist "sightings" - which may or may not have actually occurred. They supposedly passed through Dumaguete while travelling from Dapitan to Cebu.
    Cebuano seaman’s family pleads for his safety

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    jetski-diplomacy.jpg

Where's Super Dutarde?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. cabb

cabb DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster ✤Forum Sponsor✤

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 241
    Busy hanging out with his new Chinese and Russian friends??

7. OP
    OP
    redhorse

redhorse DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +269 / 62
    And if Phils can't keep those sea lanes safe, it's kind of inviting China to step in.