Dumaguete Info Search

Serious Question ?

Discussion in '☋ Dumaguete City ☋' started by 415gem, May 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 415gem

415gem DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    DI`ers , Hello , my name is Kevin . I will soon , Oct 2007 . be coming to the city of gentle people . I have seen a lot of post recently with negative views . I am a realist from outside NYC , USA ( born ) I know all places have their problems . I LOVE Dumaguete but there are some things that happen , of course . I chat with a few friends and believe there area is safe , I truly want to live with people and be neighbors , not just a foreigner living in a beautiful place . I say this because I know how crushingly poor the entire RP`s can be . I also know Dumaguete is experiencing growing pains ... get ready for more . I know criminals sometimes transfer to other areas , I know there are vigilantes that won`t allow this to happen . My question is ... Is it common sense to live in a gated community as a foreigner ? I have to say , honestly , I don`t have much ( and it`s just material goods ) but if someone stole say my computer or my guitar , I would be upset. My life and the safety of my GF and our family is really what I worry about . Foreigners must be a mark for thieves and unscrupulous people . I know Dumaguete is safe , if there where areas that had problems ... I hope DI`ers would be honest and tell everyone .Again I know crime happens everywhere , it`s life . I just want physical safety , I know that can never be 100 % but I`ll take as high a % as possible . Thanks. Kevin :smile:

2. Visayas

Visayas Guest Guest User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Gated communities are a good option. One with a security officer who patrols at night is even better.

At the very least, rent or buy a house with a wall or sturdy fence around it, with a locking driveway gate. This option is fairly common in the Phils.

Caucasian foreigners stand out like a sore thumb in the Phils, and are frequently the targets of criminals, since a significant number of Filipinos consider Americans and Euros to be "rich". Which usually isn't the case, but it's hard to change ingrained misconceptions.

3. chi town

chi town DI Member Showcase Reviewer Air Force Active Duty

Ratings:
    +47 / 1
    Kev,

Do what you would do in a large American city to protect yourself and your property. Being from the New York City area you should gained have some street smarts. Check out the expats in the area that you wish to move to and get information on local problems, if any. I really don't see crime as being a big problem in Dumaguete compared to some places in the States that I'm familiar with but just take precautions.

Chi Town

4. Timn8ter

Timn8ter DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    Exactly. There are crooks everywhere in the world and they almost always go for the easy mark. Most of the reports I read about foreigners running into trouble include serious mistakes on their part. Flashing money or jewelry, being rude, being careless at an ATM, leaving a handbag accessible, etc.. These are things a person wouldn't do at home, why would they while traveling in a foreign country? It's easy to get caught up in the warm weather and beautiful scenery and most Filipinos are quite charming. These are not good reasons for being careless.
    Living in a gated community is no guarantee, of course. If it makes you feel better, fine. It's been suggested that a gated community full of foreigners is simply a larger target. Personally, I'm not interested in living in one. I've visited relatives in gated communities and I didn't feel any different being there than in any other housing development. There were still holes in the fences at the back of the compound.

5. OP
    OP
    415gem

415gem DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the Input

Tim , Chi , Vis ... I appreciate all your advice . I have actually looked at land in a few places around Dumaguete . I am blessed living in a gorgeous place . In Dumaguete I planned to live on the mountain . Then I hear a few tales about murder and robbery . Crime happens everywhere . I believe be good to people , smile and every thing fine . Random bolo robbery attacks do happen . I am a big guy , but big vs a gun = dead or injured . I even read stories of inside job with security guards . Get fired , revenge . One thing I know , is don`t make enemies . Well , it was just a question . Probabaly be living next to cocks and pigs like a lot of people . Meeting friends and a good life is the real mission . Think I am in for a pleasant surprise . Kevin

6. garbonzo

garbonzo DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Retired
    Ratings:
    +68 / 1
    It seems there are gated communities...and really gated communities..My wife is adamant about living in one. Extremely unlikely she'd agree to living in PI unless it was within one. I've talked to plenty over the years all over the Philippines, and good gated communities are miles better from what I've heard from foreignors and Filipinos. Considerably safer in a good one (Ayala is one developer that definitely does it right)...with proactive security, fences that stay fenced, etc. We will be traveling a lot after retiring and would be nice for our household to be there when we return from overseas trips. Been to Ayala's North Point community near Bacolod, and it is absolutely superb in every respect - could use more houses though - as it seems most blocks were bought for investment. If they ever do one in Dumaguete area...I'd buy into it in a heartbeat..

7. Visayas

Visayas Guest Guest User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Good advice about gated communities, bonzo. Glad to see that your Filipina wife has good common sense also! :smile:

8. Visayas

Visayas Guest Guest User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You do NOT want to be a caucasian foreigner living in a small inland town or rural area in Negros.

The NPA communist rebels and related groups have a strong presence in Negros. There have been several armed assaults on small town police stations in the province, which resulted in murdered policemen. A few of the police stations were completely overrun by the terrorists. These incidents have been documented by the Philippine National Police, the Philippine Army and the mainstream news media.

If they have no problem with attacking armed police stations, they will have no qualms about home invasions on foreigners. Your best bet would be a medium-priced gated community in a quiet suburb of Dumaguete.

9. Timn8ter

Timn8ter DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    The attention this week is apparently on security for foreigners living in the Philippines. The opinions so far seem to go from one extreme to the other.
    The people best able to address this comment are the caucasian foreigners that have been living on Negros for some time now. I'm not one of them. Anyone else?

10. Visayas

Visayas Guest Guest User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    There's nothing "extreme" about telling the hard, simple truth.

Also, your logic is weak. Just because somebody has been living or working safely in an area for a certain amount of time, does not mean it will be safe tomorrow, next week, next month etc.

On September 10th, 2001, I'm sure most of the people working in the World Trade Center would've told you how "safe" the place was--including some who had worked there for many years.

But what were those same people saying on September 12th, 2001?

The Peace Corps volunteer who was murdered recently in Luzon had been in the country for a while, and felt confident she would be safe on a hike in the mountains. Sadly, Ms. Campbell's opinion cost her her life.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.