Dumaguete Info Search

Shipping costs for a car

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by lukasadrian, Mar 21, 2022.

1. lukasadrian

lukasadrian DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 1
    Hi,
    does anyone has some experience or ideas how much would be cost to ship a car from Germany to the Philippines.
    It's a 40 year old car and I miss it. Want just ask. I think its unfortunately very expensive.

Regards

2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    If I remember correctly the car needs to be no more than 5 years old to import. For older vehicles you will need to completely disassemble and ship the parts separately (well cost a fortune, really only feasible with motorcycles). To register you may need to register it as a salvage, though I'm not sure on that part.

3. Crystalhead

Crystalhead ADMIN Admin ★ Forum Moderator ★ ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ ★★ Forum Sponsor ★★ ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired
    Ratings:
    +1,991 / 1,090
    From your city or town in Germany, you will need to find the ((nearest)) Philippines Consulate and fill out a form that also needs about 6 attachments (other documents) and once approved you find a shipping firm in Germany. The cost can range from 1850 USD TO 4000 usd.......... and even than Customs has the right to tear it apart upon arrival seeking contraband if they so choose. You may be facing a timely and costly nightmare. I wanted to ship my Mustang from Canada to hear and got quickly fed up with the bureaucracy!

4. hawk263

hawk263 DI Forum Adept Blood Donor Veteran Army

Retired
    Ratings:
    +488 / 81
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I inquired when I moved here from UK 10 years ago and was told there is customs duty of 125% of the cars new price.

5. OP
    OP
    lukasadrian

Ratings:
    +10 / 1
    Thanks a lot. I thought it cost maybe up to 4000 dollar but hoped that is cheaper. And with all the paperwork etc. no chance. It's too complicated and really too expensive.

I asked some guys that sent their cat from Germany to South America. They paid just 1000 Dollar. That's why I was hoping for a positive surprise. But it was some years ago. I think I have to wait 20 years or more and sell my car. It's soo sad.

Thanks and regards

6. eskirvin

eskirvin DI Forum Adept Blood Donor Veteran Navy

Signal Planner
    Ratings:
    +410 / 50
    Blood Type:
    A-
  7. Crystalhead

Crystalhead ADMIN Admin ★ Forum Moderator ★ ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ ★★ Forum Sponsor ★★ ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired
    Ratings:
    +1,991 / 1,090
    Best to just buy a car here. Great deals can be had if you hunt them down and low ball the price with cash offers. Bringing a car in from another country can lead to a nightmare of bureaucratic crap in the Country your bringing it from and of coarse here in the Phils where bureaucratic crap is the norm!

8. OP
    OP
    lukasadrian

Ratings:
    +10 / 1
    My car is for me not just a car. Is an old car from 1979 (restored, paint, etc) and it was my dream. But when I see eskirvin link how much it could be costs, that's really too much. In future I buy another old one here. I wanted just ask and hope.

9. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Plenty of "old ones" here...what would cost you $500 in the West will likely run you $2k or more here. It is truly amazing what some people think their heap of junk, that will cost a fortune to keep on the road, is worth. Best bet is to just buy new. Very few here maintain their vehicles and repairing these abused vehicles is a nightmare. Vehicles are almost always a lability and almost never an asset. Almost impossible to find anything that would be considered a "classic" and turn a profit. The older stuff is mainly just Japanese junkyard compact trucks and vans that have been poorly converted to left hand drive.

But hey, if you get off on constantly fixing a heap of sh*t then buying used is the way to go in the Philippines.

• Agree Agree x 4
  10. Mike_Haddon

Mike_Haddon DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +305 / 31
    I think that is a generalisation. I got a good condition, low mileage small car locally for a good price. The 'abuse' of the vehicle has just started though.

• Like Like x 2