Dumaguete Info Search

Shopping mission abort

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by charlyB, Dec 18, 2020.

1. charlyB

charlyB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1,110 / 333
    We went into town this afternoon in an attempt to do some shopping but the traffic was the worst i can remember, Hypermarket and Robinsons car parks full so gave up.
    When you come out of Robinsons there is a sign saying no left turn and even a traffic guy standing across the road on watch, i can't understand the logic of this because it must be safer to left turn there than what most people who want to turn left are doing by just going a few metres down to the right and then doing a u turn.
    I did not fancy the u turn option so i drove down to the right turn at McDonalds and drove along to get on to the highway at the end.
    The section of this road that is dual carriageway has red and white posts with ropes effectively making the road approx 30% narrower, this means that when you come to the steps leading up to robinsons where tricycles stop to let people off there is very little space to get past.
    The only reason i can think of for these posts is to stop people parking there, if that is the case why don't they take the posts away an just give anyone who parks there a ticket. :bag:

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Always a Poppy

Always a Poppy DI Senior Member Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +828 / 142
    I've been around the west/north of the city today, including Cangs ('Car Park Full') signed appeared for the first time in months. It's busy, but I'd say no more so than this time last year as I recall. To be expected this close to Christmas. The 'no left turn' out of Robinson Mall has been there for quite a while. Particularly annoying if you want to do an immediate right towards Valencia. never seen anyone enforcing it though and in any case, what are they going to do if you make it and keep going?

3. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,856 / 1,026
    Blood Type:
    A+
    It's even worse if you want to go south.

4. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    The rain should cut down on motorcycles, trikes, pedestrians and overall traffic. Let's hope it continues for a few days.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    Motorcycles? Turncoat! :smile:

• Funny Funny x 5
  6. Always a Poppy

Ratings:
    +828 / 142
    I said that, then the wife reminded me that some poor soles get flooded out, as has already happened in parts of Dumaguete overnight.

7. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    The government really does need to buy up all that land along the river and stop people from moving back in after every heavy rain.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    It is slowly happening. Driving a motorcycle here is quickly becoming far more dangerous with all the stray dogs, increased traffic congestion and wider roads allowing faster speeds...add the poor concreting jobs making roads far rougher on the spine and riding a motorcycle just isn't nearly as enjoyable as it used to be. I still ride when I know with near certainly that it won't rain but if there is a cloud in sight I opt for the car. I will not even consider getting on a scooter at night if I'm leaving Valencia proper. Just not worth the risk.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. Jens K

Jens K DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +764 / 47
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    Someone’s getting old :wink:

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. Always a Poppy

Ratings:
    +828 / 142
    You're right. Our neighbour has just had an incident with a dog, while riding his motorbike. Don't know the details. Just at the time when our Rouser is fettled (old English word for fixed) and ready for the road. It makes you think twice. Then I think, blimey, I've had a few years, never spilled a bike in 45 years of riding, so why should I start worrying now. I was taught to ride a bike the right way, minimising risk, and I still use those techniques, probably to the utter amazement of 'brain dead' local riders who see me on the road.

I'm here for 'life extending' experiences, when I could be sitting in the UK working for 2.5 more years and then vegetating, so what the hell - bring it on. Probably different for younger people.

• Agree Agree x 1