Dumaguete Info Search

SHORE FISHING AROUND DUMAGUETE

Discussion in 'Hobbies and special interests' started by pauline m, Jan 8, 2018.

1. pauline m

pauline m DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    HALLO, We are staying in Valencia for a month, feb-march, been before and know the area a little, would love some on locations to fish from,beach or rock, and any advice you can give, thanks g& p

2. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    If anyone was to post a location where you could find fish within reach of shore and it was read by a local, then the fish would be caught and eaten by the time you got there. :clown:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
  3. DAVE1952

DAVE1952 DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,095 / 219
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    I think you will find there is very few fish near to the shore in tropical waters, here in the Philippines the water near the shore gets very warm, the sunlight is too bright for them and fish tend to stay in the deeper waters where it is cooler, not sure if it may be better at night just maybe the fish will come closer to the shore at that time?
    Dave

4. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    Yes, many locals go fishing with a spear and a flashlight along the shore as soon as night falls. Anything bigger than the spear tip gets stabbed and eaten. Not sure about the logic but I was told the light stuns the fish long enough for them to get stabbed. Or it could just be they can see the fish better with the light.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Liverpool fan

Liverpool fan DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,094 / 279
    Blood Type:
    O+
    The fish close to shore are very small in this area, locals use nets, but I have seen fish up to 2-3 kilo very close to shore like 8-10 meter. You need a boat, but it get deep many places already 100 meter from shore (more than 30 meter deep), but to far to reach with rod and reel from shore. I have small banka with a fish finder, but I'm not a professional, still don't know the area. Pay a local with a banka is no problem. If you serious want catch (big) fish, you have better luck on west coast, but again you need a boat. You are welcome to contact me, if you not are one of these guys, who tell about all the big fish they catch on hundreds of kilos, and then ask, me how to put the hook on the line lol, some people are just sooooo funny

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. OP
    OP
    pauline m

pauline m DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

hhi, thanks for all that info, ive fished a lot , but only as a pastime, but ido know what I'm doing,, lol
    I do kayaking here in summer, but I wouldlove to meet up and maybe hook a few, ive seen plenty of action around the pier /ferry landing at dumaguete, top feeders chasing fry,mackerel or maybe tuna, renting out a boat for theday seemsthebetter option.

we arrive around 5th feb,and hopefully have a day out, thank,s

gary, Newcastle upon yne

7. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    Hi gary
    I brought my sea kayak here when i moved here in 2011 then after a few trips realised there are hardly any fish around the shores. It was also way too hot after 10am out there.
    There is a small disused pier in mayon tubig which you can catch few mamsa and other small fish. Also there is a guy in sta catalina who may take you out on his banka foshing for dorado. He used charge p2000 day to inc fuel and he will catch the live bait fish also.
    Most of the piers are off limits here now and the fish you maybe seeing are needle fish which we get back home,not good to eat.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Liverpool fan

Liverpool fan DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,094 / 279
    Blood Type:
    O+
    You are welcome to contact me, and we can go out together in my banka, it's 0nly 15 feets, most of time I go alone, but good for 2 foreigner or around 6 filipino, lol. I been in Cebu and Bohol island, before someone told me, you are not allowed to go that far, in that size of boat, lol. I bought the boat of a filipino, who are expert in fishing with rod and reel, he's also a member in this site, and my good friend and supervisor. He also make me in contact with the fisherman in Santa Catalina Daryl mention. I been there a few times, my dream is catch dorado, no luck so far, catch a spanish mackerel 112 cm, around 10 kg. Now I got some experience and next time I will for sure catch dorado, lol. I like go trolling, but will also start some bottom fishing and jigging, when season start around late january/beginning of febuary. I live in Bacong, 20-30 meter from the sea, and can go to Siquijor in 30 min with out full speed, 10 hp Kohler engine. It's my hobby and I only fishing for fun, enjoy stay out on sea, very beautiful with the view of mountains in Negros. I'm on way to make boat and engine ready to new season. I would also like explore some other kind of fishing, I know about a lake with snakeheads and river fishing could be interesting to. I forget to ask permission from my friend, but on Youtube, he have some fishing videos, I enjoy see them, search for Mike Alano. Pls., don't start chase him, he is a busy man, and as far as I know, no time to be fishing guide for this moment. The boat you see in the videos is the one I bought of him, enjoy.
    P.S. Together with he's wife the have Subida souvenir shop in Valencia, you can see about the shop in Youtube to, I'm sure you are welcome to visit there, don't hope I brake any rules with mention it here. I'm danish, and my english is not perfect, sorry for that

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. pahong

pahong DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    Hi I am looking for a kayak if you are not using yours. I do want to try fishing here and for some exercise.

10. pahong

pahong DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    I am soon ready to fish if you like some company, stuck in quarantine now.