Dumaguete Info Search

Short Courses and English Tuition

Discussion in '☋ Education ☋' started by PangitPilot, Jul 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PangitPilot

PangitPilot DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    Hi All

My wife wants to takeon some short courses and am interested in suggestions. We are not really interested in Computer COurses, anything useful like HRM, or whatever could be of interest

She is also very interested in improving her english, sspecificall teh grammatical side, I have drawn a blank on any places for tuition.

Have found the following after dragging through Google

Culinary School, Short Courses
    Dumaguete Academy for Culinary Arts - Visayas Philippines

Metro Dumaguete College (MDC) formerly Four-WD Computer Training Center
    Metro Dumaguete College - Historical Background

Lifeline International Health Institure - Caregiver and 1 year Nursing
    http://Lihisite.com

Does anyone have any other suggestions for 3-6-12 month courses or feedback on above three

Thanks in advance

2. josephen

josephen DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Okey - I am afraid she might enroll a whole course to only improve her English. So why not look for a tutorial (somebody was posting about it in some threads earlier last week, try to browse the forum).

About short courses, she then be too, is obliged to enroll the whole course, taking unnecessary modules/subjects. Why not try TESDA accredited courses given FREE from every municipality? My sister learned from there manicure/pedicure, haircut/curling (she is not practicing this one though), cookery and preserving food. And all is FREE.

You may want to visit your municipality to ask when they are going to offer short courses. And yes, they do give short courses basic computer course, too!

3. josephen

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
  4. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    well, what you pay is what you get.
    I don't know any woman here who needs a course for her pedicure, but when it comes to that free-cooking classes, oh my god ... well, some people really need to learn how to cook the best piece of meat and vegetables to death (I needed to attend for certain reason some TESDA cooking classes, very nice people, but what they teach ... no comment).

Anyway, for the three mentioned above, one is simply when she has plans to go abroad as a caregiver and needs a certificate. Computer is not your thing anyway, and the other is if your wife wants to learn what cooking really means (including costs calculation, nutritions, calories and all different methods of preperation). As a matter of fact the only international accredited culinary arts school in the Visayas.

For english, yes there are plenty of tutors around, sadly most of them speak and write not really good english. As you are a potential client, some will agree that they give her a free lesson where you can sit with them and judge their quality.

After that you can decide if he/she might be good for you or you can simply say "thanks, but no thanks" and check another out.

5. josephen

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    @Rhoody - I am sorry to hear that your experiences with the TESDA were not to your expectations. It is not only due to good materials and utensils and ingredients but TESDA did help us a lot (speaking from our family experience).

Through TESDA seminars my sister is able to send our students to school everyday providing them daily 'pocket-money' and money for the transportation, from her baking.

6. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    I absolutely agree with you, they help a lot of people to create some peso, specially for families each peso is needed. That's why I say they are lovely people. I actually meet some of them soon for some cooperation in the future and to discuss how we can cooperate in some ways offering a section of DI as a platform for local offices to get info more professional and more visible for everybody out.

But it can not really be recommended to an expat to send his wife there for learning something... unless the whole point is getting rid of her for some hours, what I don't think in that case.

Anyway, you might have given some "silent readers" some great ideas :wink:

7. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    That's not a bad idea. Where can I sign her (Weena) up? Anything with long classes, I don't care what it is. :D

As for compooter training. Just show her how to use Facebook/Friendster and Yahoo Messenger and that's all she will need to know (or will be interested in.) She won't need classes for that. :wink:

8. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    ... there are weekly AA meetings in Bohol... and also in Burkina Faso if that better for you. If you send her there she can also pick up the Millions deposited on multiple anonymous account for me. We can make 50:50..

9. anita

anita DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    She is also very interested in improving her english, sspecificall teh grammatical side

If your wife has a computer at home she can learn her English better than some tutor can teach for her. She has to build her vocabulary skills by defining the words through dictionary and if she has a speaker on the computer she can listen and then repeat the word to her self. While she's building her vocabulary words, she can start writing sentences and then paragraph and maybe essays. Also, she has to do a lot of reading. She has to practice those vocabulary words and use them in a sentence.
    I went to college here in America and I have to do more to correct my English speaking and writing especially on grammar. Filipino has a very strong accent on the English language.
    I wish her luck.

10. josephen

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    AND one of the best methods to improve her English skills is to let the wife JOIN here in the forum...interact:rolleyes:, argue:confused:, make war:mad: and make friends:D here and she must do it all in the English language.

There is no right or wrong here, so she must stick to it. If she can not translate her thoughts into English, she can, of course, do it halo-halo style.

She just have to try! And start NOW!

Join in!:smile:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.