Dumaguete Info Search

Short term rental place with 10 to 20mbps

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by rimoto11, Oct 7, 2019.

1. rimoto11

rimoto11 DI New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    First of all, thank you for all of the great contributors to this site. After reading a few hundred posts I feel I'm ready to ask a aquestion :smile:.

We plan to move to Duma in January 2020. Following the advice of this forum, we will get a 1 to 2 month temporary place until we can find a suitable rental.

My situation is that I'm not coming to Duma to retire.....yet. I am arriving as a digital nomad while still working for my US company. So, at the top of my list of needs is fast and reliable internet. Yep....(I hear the snickering).

I'd be grateful to anyone if they can advise of a temporary rental place (airbnb, condo, hotel) that likely provides a consistent 10-20mbps connection. We are fine with our first place being right in the heart of Duma City if that's required.

Salamat

2. osodelnorte

osodelnorte DI Forum Adept Restricted Account Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +254 / 86
    good luck on that.. you might as well ask for a consistent 220 volt connection..

3. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    Treetops bed and breakfast in valencia has nightly rentlals. They have fast fiber internet and a forum member on here.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. OP
    OP
    rimoto11

rimoto11 DI New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    "Ososelnorte" Bear of the North?? I expected your response and love it!!

5. OP
    OP
    rimoto11

rimoto11 DI New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    Grateful for your response my friend. Wow! +4489 Ratings. You are a Jedi Master.
    Any additional responses would be appreciated. Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  6. OP
    OP
    rimoto11

rimoto11 DI New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    Dear rimoto11,

Welcome to this forum and to Dumaguete!

I researched the Duma area last month and here's what I found. After running a test at 4 locations using a phone and the Speedtest app, I found 3 of the 4 locations had greater than 20mpbs. My sole criterion for bothering to test the speed at their location was that they stated they had PLDT Fiber internet installed.

If you are in Duma and you need speeds of at least 10mpbs, the property must have PLDT Fiber. However, this isn't enough. You must also ask how many people share the line. In one case, a place had PLDT Fibr at 50mpbs but it was shared by 49 units, so night time rates would probably only average 2-5mpbs at best (what they told me).

I stayed at Hassaram court after calling them ahead of time. In addition to PLDT Fiber, they also had the new Google Wifi plan. Basically these are Google's version of old fashioned wifi repeaters. They work amazing and I was averaging 55mbps+ during my entire stay (see attachment).

I also visited a place called Honey Villas and they had over 45mbps and Google Wifi plan.

Finally, I visited Dumaguete studio apartments. They also have PLDT Fiber. I didn't test the speed of their internet but with a 5.0 Google rating across many reviews I believe their internet would be acceptable for a digital nomad (albeit with a monthly rental of $600!).

I also called Treetops B&B per DavyL200's recommendation. They also have PLDT fiber and not a lot of rental units so it's also reasonable there would be at least 20mpbs connection speed there.

Good luck and don't forget to go to Sans Rival for pastries early and often.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. OP
    OP
    rimoto11

rimoto11 DI New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    Thanks for the help and encouragement. I found 4 places per my post above.

8. osodelnorte

osodelnorte DI Forum Adept Restricted Account Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +254 / 86

as they say.. the proof is in the pudding.. let us know please..