Dumaguete Info Search

Should I Rent or Own a house in the Philippines?

Discussion in '☋ Expat Section ☋' started by Virtual-me, Feb 8, 2007.

1. Virtual-me

Virtual-me DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am on the market for a good rental house at the moment, I am tempted to go and buy one but I have read a lot around the web about problems with ownership of property in the Philippines.

Also some of the houses I have found on the net are so cheap to rent compared to the purchase price that rental makes a lot more sense. One example I pulled from Islandsproperties had a rental price that would take 40+ years to pay the purchase price.

If it is that cheap to rent, then why buy?

VM

2. garbonzo

garbonzo DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Retired
    Ratings:
    +68 / 1
    That is an excellent question. Rental prices are a bargain. We're debating it ourselves. There are certainly some ownership issues around...most people do ok and have no problems...but I've known a couple deals that went very bad...and not just to foreignors. Seen Filipinos get ripped off too....very badly.

Houses can take forever to sell...some of those on islandsproperties have been there a couple years...prices drop (sometimes considerably)...still no takers...Even Bohol has cooled off. They used to get snapped up on Panglao in a month or so...not anymore. I'd say if planning to stay over ten years, then buying is likely the better option. You're covered for inflationary effects on the rent. And in ten years you might even make a few dollars selling if the location is right and the house is good. We intend to stay as long as we can enjoy the place and are fit enough to do the things we like. After that likely to return to Oz. Hard to call at this point if buying or renting is best for us.

3. Bandit

Bandit Guest Guest User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'd rent for a couple years first. Dgte gets small after awhile, and real estate can be impossible to sell.

Same is true for anywhere in PI. It's all new and cute at first, but many expats long for home within 5yrs.

4. yabs

yabs DI Forum Adept Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    UNless you are prepared to lose all the money you "invest" in property i wouldn't give buying a second thought. Remember as a foreigner which i'm presuming you are you cannot own land therefore buying anyhting is very risky even if you trust your wife to put it in her name.
    If she dies guess where the hosue is going?
    get my drift. I can't believ the amount of foerigners that buy. For one it always seems to push the prices up anyway, but secondly why would you take the risk? Its ridicu;ously cheap to rent and you'd have to live in the property for 10 to 15 yearsd to get your money back if you buy.
    If you want to sell it it may even go down in value
    and what about Typhoons or eathquakes or heaven forbid tsunamis?
    as a renter damage gets repaired by landlord at not cost.
    I wouldn't even consider buying here. The only consideration i may give is to say a condo unit in debu or metro manilla where the yields from rent are high
    but even this is a risk if you get a bad management compnay.
    Basically keep all assets in your home country.
    I have three rules while in asia
    1: don't buy property
    2:don't get emotionally involved with bar girls
    3:don't do business here unless its export

i own property back in the uk which I rent out and in the future hope to live in the phils on this rent. I've met a lot of people who do this
    and they are the successful long term expats. The ones who sell up and "invest" in business here or property usually end up broke and going home at some point which nbothing to show for their sojourn in paradise except a broken heart and wallet. You have been warned.
    I quite like this write up asctaully though i don't agree with all of it but the end bit I do
    Living in the Philippines - Expat Retirement - Expat Information for Retirees 1

5. 415gem

415gem DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yabs ... you make some good points

Yabs , Hello , my name is Kevin . Good advice . I have thought about all of these scenarios and will heed your advice . If I do get married and buy property , I will know full well I will never own it and the perils that come with it . I like getting the real good / bad about RP`s living . Thanks . Kevin

6. pickled_newt

pickled_newt DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +17 / 12
    I am fili and can own a property .
    But ,I would share the same opinion ,if there's no legal way I could own the property with my name in it,I would never buy one.Better to rent .For the foreign spouse ,with one exception unless having children who are partly of filipino descent where the ownership of the property can be transfered when in legal age despite holding diff nationality ,is another given option.

There's a lot of hassles for mixed couples owning property in PI. Even if marraige relationship is going fine but in unexpected time the wife pass away you loose out ownership of the property and you have to dispose it otherwise it will go to the immediate filipino relatives of the wife . One don't need that hassle .

Though i heard of few who get away through loopholes of the law,but there's nothing which can assure you more than doing everything the legal way.

7. Visayas

Visayas Guest Guest User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Foreign nationals can own a condominium or townhouse outright, if you wish to consider those as an option.

If not, rent.

8. yabs

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    visayas you miss one point
    you cannot own the land, only the unit

9. cebudiver

cebudiver DI Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    yabs, thats good advice for many people and it certainly is the safest bet, BUT I have broken your rule 1 and 3 and it has worked out for me
    ... the property in my wife's name goes to my (dumaguete born) children anyway - and the resort allows my wife be the buisnesswoman and stay occupied and intellectually active now that the kids are in school. we dont depend on the buisness for survival, either... it will also serve to keep me more involved after I retire - with a guaranteed pension check every month hey, It works for us

....most of the sad stories I have heard begin with some poor guy breaking your rule #2

10. yabs

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    well there are always exceptions to any rule
    generally it can be said that smokers die younger but somne live to be 90 or so.
    It may be good to add soemthing to my rules 1 and 3 such as this:

don't invest any money that you are not prepared to lose.
    you may be lucky and maybe your wife is 100 percent trustworthy
    but what if she dies?
    Would you be able to trust the rest of the family not to atke everything from you as then it would effectively be theirs.
    I myslef unless i was prepared to lose all money would not buy anything that could not be in my name.
    apart fromn which governments ion Asia can and often do change laws at the drop of that hat. Look at Thailand now
    all those people who bought hiuses by putting it in soem bogus company
    or buying in a condo wheremore than 40 percent aren't owned by thais
    are now in for a rude awakening.
    Another issue is the land title
    frequently they are not "clean" and i've heard stories about even influential locals getting caught out by this.
    buy property in your own country where its safe and rent in SEA would always be my advice.
    if everyone stuck to these rules it would also help keep the philippines
    rustic ,undeveloped and cheap
    Its the inlfux of foreignbinvestors and property speculation that always ruins places
    IE Pattaya, phuket, Samui, Hua Hin, Borocay, PG, Mactan etc etc etc