Dumaguete Info Search

Government & Education Silliman University Questions

Discussion in 'Businesses - Services - Products' started by scubaaaron, May 26, 2011.

1. scubaaaron

scubaaaron DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am currently 26 year old who is thinking about going to get my undergraduate at Silliman because its is a top ranked college worldwide and it is way cheaper then Washington State University at 460.00USD a credit. Anyways here are my questions.

Silliman is a catholic school but I am not religious at all. How much would this affect me at Silliman?

I would like to go part time at the school and be a part time scuba instructor can this be done at this school?

I never finished high school. I got my GED and went to college I have 42 credits I got at Evergreen State College in Washington. Do I have to go back to 11th grade and Finnish high school or is it enough with a GED and 42 credits?

Also I plan on studying international business in the Philippians and would like to work in the Philippians after I graduate, how realistic is this goal?

2. bounty98

bounty98 DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Silliman is not a catholic school, its a protestant school

3. Manzanita

Manzanita DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    ....And Philippians is a book in the Bible, and Finnish is what's spoken in Finland.

And you've got 42 college credits? :confused:

OP, You should go get your money back.

You got cheated.

4. newbie27

newbie27 DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    It means he got 42units in college...that's good enough... you're considered college... let me guess you got that for 2 semesters right? Better ask the administration office at Silliman to verify your status.

5. bounty98

bounty98 DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    newbie missed the joke...yea i was thinking the very same thing but decided to let it go...that is funny though...hey I am from Washington too, what can I say...

6. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    Surprised!

Scuba, Hi welcome, no disrespect to you at all here, I hope you can achieve your goal. I just need to Understand a few things here. Have a good stay and hope you can understand what I am asking. The post I think will surfice for you both.

Newbie, Scuba, I am NO Academic But If I was on a selection Board at a University, I would find this a little hard to take seriously. I have never really, understood the college system of credits, over the last few years, Here we have, obviously, a bright young man (Presumption Scuba:o) Did not finish High School, gets some credits in 2 semesters, then wants to go part time University and part time Scuba Instuctor. In Your View Newbie, is this possible or realistic?

I found University Hard Work most of the time, 4 years of Slog, maybe a little different now but definatly Full Time.

I would also think, that scuba instruction is hard Work to. Maybe if Qualified, it could be done spare time but Part time! in conjuction with a UNI Course, That is going to be really hard work. :confused:

Jack P. :smile:

7. newbie27

newbie27 DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    There is this program at University of the Philippines called "Open University Program" students who are enrolled on that program will no longer go to the actual university everyday. They only go there once every month to take the bi-monthly exams and submissions of projects/reports/homeworks.The nearest UP branch is located at Cebu City. It is also offered to few universities, I think University of Perpetual Help System DALTA also offered that thing too. Better ask their administration office for a clear discussion on that matter. Medina College also offered a Nursing course for working people every saturday and sunday as their class schedule , if youre in Dumaguete, your route to travel is Dgte-Dipolog-Ozamis to reach Medina College. Ateneo De Manila University also offered a course out of Manila, at Cebu they held class during weekends or fridays nights at Cebu Business Park, Laguna (sta rosa), and Subic. Their requirements is just simple, pass the entrance exams and interviews. I personally find Ateneo the hardest entrance exams than UP. Goodluck!

8. OP
    OP
    scubaaaron

scubaaaron DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    sorry I wasn't clean before. Part of the the entrance requirement is for you to finished high school to get into Silliman, since I skipped this part in the united states and went right to college for a year..(was force parents having a divorce at the time and wanted me out of the house for it) now that I am older and more mature and know what my goals are. I know what I want out of college. The question is can I get into Silliman with out having finnished my 11th and 12th grade in high school. Is the GED accepted in colleges in the Philippines as much as they are in the United states? Or should I try and transfer into the college with the 42 credits I got in the United States?

Thank for the help
    Aaron

9. OP
    OP
    scubaaaron

scubaaaron DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks I picked Dumaguete City as a potential location because is has less smog and pollution..and so I can work part time. I can make money being a scuba instructor to pay for school. Its more realistic over there to work there as a scuba instructor and pay for 500 bucks a semester then work in the US trying to pay 5,500 a quarter. Thanks for the heads up about the weekend programs.

10. derivative_guru

derivative_guru DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 1
    High school in the Philippines finishes at grade 10. I doubt that you don't have grades 11 and 12 will be a stumbling block. You should contact Silliman admissions. I am sure they have an admission exam (since their is no standardized ACT/SAT type exam here) and they will evaluate your transcript for transfer credit.

Oh...just so you know...there are A LOT of foreigner SCUBA instructors around Dmgte and they don't seem to be rolling in cash from their instruction. Work may be hard to find, infrequent and low-paying. I would not suggest counting on this as your source of financial support.