Dumaguete Info Search

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. loftyone

loftyone DI Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Hi

I'm hoping forum members can help answer some questions about Sipalay. We are two families, 4 adults and 4 adult-sized kids, who want to visit Sipalay later this year. We have checked out the websites of individual resorts and pickled newts photos on this board but we still have some questions.

- What's the best way to get there from Dumaguete ? We have our own transport but i have heard the road from Bayawan is not too good and may be impassable at certain times.
    - Are the resorts close together walking distance from each other ? (something like Alona Beach at Bohol ?). Is there easy access to different restaurants ?
    - Can anyone recommend family accommodation where we can cook for ourselves if we want to ?

cheers

lofty

2. Diver

Diver DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Hello Loftyone

I did the Bayawan route and yes the road is not that good at the end, and it will take about 5 hours to get there.
    Look at TAUCHEN URLAUB NEGROS PHIILIPPINEN SIPALAY EASY DIVING AND BEACH RESORT TAUCHSAFARI for a nice resort on Bala beach and there is an other resort over there but not as good as this one.

Bala beach is a nice and a beautifull aria but not close to town , you need transport of your resort or a hubble hubble.

Greetings J.Diver

3. fundiver198

fundiver198 DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    Dmgt. - Sipalay transport

There are two ways to get from Dumaguete to Sipalay: The highway along the southern coast (Bayawan) or the inland route via Mabinay. Both are sligthless less than 200 km long, and I can do both in less than 4 hours driving a normal car. If you drive at the granddaddy speed, that most drivers in Dumaguete do, or in a multicab, it will obviously take longer than that.

The road via Bayawan is generally wider, in better condition and less winding than the road via Mabinay. However, there is an aprox. 15 km long strech of unpaved road between Basay and Hinoba-an, whereas the road via Mabinay is paved all the way. This is just a normal unpaved road, not particularly difficult to pass or anything, but of course a bit more unconfortable than driving on a paved road and more rough for a normal car.

If the starting point is south of Dumaguete e.g. Dauin or Bacong, I would definitly take the southern route, and the other way around, if the starting point is north of Dumaguete e.g. Sibulan. If starting from Dumaguete itself, then why not try both for the sake of variation.

4. flobenz

flobenz DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Does anyone have information on whether the unpaved road between Basay and Hinoba-an is now paved? Also, if I take the Mabinay route, would it be easy to know which roads to take to get to Sipalay?

Thanks!

5. flobenz

flobenz DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Mmm, sorry I am gonna be asking so many questions about Sipalay as I plan to go there within the month. I was wondering, would staying overnight be enough to explore the beaches, such as Punta Ballo and Sugar Beach? Or would we need more time?

6. Diver

Diver DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Only one day, what is enough , are you Japanese who do London, Paris, Amsterdam ,Milano and Athens in one day.
    It is a very beautifull area so in my opinion is one day not enough but I am a diver and my goal is go underwater.
    Punta Balo beach is a very nice beach but nothing special to do over there , but a good road from Sipalay to that beach.
    I stayed at easy dive resort , very nice and a very friendly staff.

Greetings J.Diver

Greetings J.Diver

7. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    well, if you are not planing to dive, if you start very early one overnight stay is probably enough to enjoy and explore the surface world and a nice beach :smile:

8. john reynolds

john reynolds DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    My Family and I just love Takatuka Resort on Sugar Beach in Sipalay. The Owners are totally cool and really Hospitable. If You like to swim, there's not a rock or pebble of any kind whatsoever to be found underneath Your toes and the water goes out for a ways before it drops off and gets deep. Another added plus is that there's no Karaoke or Jet skis allowed on Sugar Beach. it's very Quiet and Peacful. If You don't have time to stay over night at Takatuka or one of the other small resorts on Sugar beach You should at least check out Their website, I think it's takatuka-lodge.com . I really loved it there and plan on going back this coming January. Cheers, John....

9. jellyfish

jellyfish DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    Flobenz, even if you're no diver it makes sense to stay at least 2 or 3 days and walk along the beaches of Punto Ballo and Sugar Beach and go into the very small town of Sipalay.
    There are quite some resorts and the nice thing to me was, they all have a different set up.
    Takatuka is nice for the kids (and for John Reynolds :D) but I personally found it 'misplaced' at a Asian Oriental Beach :wink:.
    But they have mostly a lot of guests so I am not a 'normal' person I guess (Yes Rhoody....you may react on this ! :D).
    I stayed like Diver at Easy Diving. Indeed a very nice resort (the nicest I saw there) and very friendly staff and owner.
    Also Driftwood is typical (I liked it) at Sugar Beach.

10. flobenz

flobenz DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Oh, thanks so much for all your info! I do not dive so I will not be needing more time other than that for sightseeing and some swimming.

Also, if I understand correctly... I need to use a boat to get to Sugar Beach right, as it is on another island? If that is so, is there a place where I can park my car in the mainland?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.