Dumaguete Info Search

SkyCable to upgrade bandwidth?

Discussion in '☋ Expat Section ☋' started by JoeMabini, Dec 21, 2010.

1. JoeMabini

JoeMabini DI Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    As a self confessed-bandwidth hog, I am finding that my skyCable subscription is okay for working, but if I need to work and talk on the VOIP phone at the same time the low upload bandwidth can't cope.

I sent the wife over to SkyCable today to ask about a second subscription as that would fill the bill to dedicate the phone on, but they told her we can't do that..

The good news is that they told her SkyCable will be offering new plans in march up to 9000php per month. I am assuming that will be the 12Mb plan. I am thinking this is a good thing for sure, but wondered if anyone else has heard the same thing.

Is this a rumor or fact?

2. Knowdafish

Knowdafish DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    Wow! 12 MB! Even if it was only half of that, it would be a definite improvement! Can't wait for an actual speed test of that, but at 9,000P a month it better come with a nice new free computer, monitor, and printer!

3. OP
    OP
    JoeMabini

JoeMabini DI Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    Take a look at their broadband site to see what is available in Manila right now.

Sky Broadband Website

4. Knowdafish

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    Thanks for the link. It never ceases to amaze me as to how an internet service provider's (ISP) website can be soooooo slow! While "up to" is nice to know, I wonder, in all actuality, what the real world speed will be.

Attached Files:

5. clear copy

clear copy DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Yes I think they are going to roll out their 12 MB plan soon. I was one of the lucky subscribers who had chance to check it out. A 700 MB movie took me around 20 mins to download. The ping was even very low that I had fun playing online games using Steam.

[​IMG]

6. Knowdafish

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    Thanks for the speed test, but .24 MB upload speed still won't cut it for VOIP calls.

7. The Dane

The Dane DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    9K for 12MBit... Not bad in PI :smile:

Netgosyo Plans

Here I can get 3MBit for 12K in stead... and their staff is TOLD to tell customers only to expect half the advertised speed and they won't entertain complaints of slow speed if you get half of what you pay for.

8. OP
    OP
    JoeMabini

JoeMabini DI Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    Actually, VOIP really can work well on 70k, what SkyCable currently allows. I guess maybe it depends on your provider of VOIP also. I am using Packet 8 aka 8X8 and my phone works pretty well if I close all applications on the computers.

I remember when I first came here and had GLOBE DSL and complained I was not getting my 2Mb I superscribed and they told me as long as I as getting 60% of what I paid for that was adequate. I have since used the 60% rule for everything... carpenters, restaurants, helpers etc.. it really helps keep the blood pressure down.

• Like Like x 1
  9. RonEtue

RonEtue DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Spoke to Anie in Sky Cables office a week ago and was told that in the begining of the year things will change. No more ZEPEEDEE...only the Genuine SkyCable like we have in Manila and Cebu. Pricing acceptable.

3MB 1999/month
    6MB 3999/month
    12MG 5999/month

Que Sera Sera...
    whatever will be will be...
    the future is ours to see....
    Que Sera Sera......

PS. She didn't tell me what year it will change.

Cheers!
    Ron

10. pkrbrad

pkrbrad DI Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +12 / 1
    The 60% rule seems to be in affect everywhere here when it comes to the internet. They cover themselves by saying bursts up to so and so speed. Ask them what the minimum they will guarantee. I think the minimum is the key. They also want to lock you in to a contract even when they aren't providing you the connection you are paying for. I came across the Consumer act of the Philippines at THE CONSUMER ACT OF THE PHILIPPINES - CHAN ROBLES VIRTUAL LAW LIBRARY
    You can find some things in it that might pertains to internet services. It might help you get out of a contract, where they aren't providing what you are paying for.