Dumaguete Info Search

Smart Bro allowable usage policy

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by johncarson, May 16, 2013.

1. johncarson

johncarson DI Member Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +252 / 19
    I have used Smart Bro for the past 5 years with the usual ok service, bad service, but today I ran into something new and disturbing. My internet service recently has been extremely bad, and when I called to report this, I was told that I had exceeded my "allowable usage" for this month, and that my service will be this way (upload and download speeds around 0.18) until my account is reset the first of next month. Evidently this new policy began last month. When I asked how I could determine what was my allowable usage or how I could determine how much I had used, I was told that I couldn’t do either. I’m wondering if anyone else has experienced this. Their policy statement can be found at www.pldthome.com/mybroFUP.

2. OP
    OP
    johncarson

Ratings:
    +252 / 19
  3. pfotoguy

pfotoguy DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +1 / 1
    Ive been in several times complaining about my internet speed. been running 0.01 - 0.05. And I just got from the States so I haven't even beeb using mine.

I was told we are now allowed 15 gigs a month and that it was a national policy and all internet services thru all carriers would be the same.

I asked who I could complain to and was told they didn't know.

well what can you say but "it's more fun in the Philippines"

4. expatron

expatron DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +514 / 126
    I think I was at Smart next to pfotoguy and was also told 15 gigs per month. My hard drive decided to retire and took my power supply along with it. I thought it wasn't a problem and started installing my original op and updating it, then programs and drivers. OOOPS half way through my speed went to 0.20 mbps or slower. And I thought the internet was slowly getting better.

Now no more Magic Jack and youtube buffers longer than the original video.

Here is a copy of the so called Fair usage policy to save a few kbps. I also was just told Globe may be next.

You are here: Home Fair Usage Policy
    Fair Usage Policy
    What is the Fair Usage Policy?

The Fair Usage Policy as stipulated in your Subscription Terms & Conditions are:

4. SUBSCRIBER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES

h) SUBSCRIPTION FAIR USAGE POLICY —

i) Subscriber acknowledges that the wi-tribe Internet Bandwidth is shared among all wi-tribe subscribers and it may be necessary for wi-tribe to regulate Service to a very small number of extremely heavy users for the protection of other subscribers and to ensure fast and reliable Service. Subscriber thus agrees that the Service is subject to wi-tribe’s Fair Usage Policy posted at wi-tribe Philippines | 4G is here. Subscriber undertakes to keep himself informed of any changes to the Policy by visiting said site periodically.

ii) Subscribers who breach the Fair Usage Policy may experience a reduction in the upload and download speed and/or suspension or termination of the Service, even without notice to the Subscriber.

iii) If Subscriber subscribes to a Subscription Plan that does not impose limits on the amount of data that may be downloaded or uploaded during a month, such “unlimited” plans are nevertheless subject to the Fair Usage Policy. The term “unlimited” means that wi-tribe will not place a limit on how much data Subscriber uploads or downloads during a month or other particular period, however, it does not mean that wi-tribe will not take steps to reduce Subscriber’s data rates during periods of congestion or take other actions described in the Fair Usage Policy when Subscriber’s usage is negatively impacting other subscribers.

Why do you need a Fair Usage Policy?

Whether an internet provider sends the information from a DSL, cable or WiMax connection, customers are sharing bandwidth – the total amount of data that can be transmitted and received by the internet provider for your neighborhood.

That means that you, and all of your neighbors who are accessing the same website or are using the same broadband internet provider, are splitting the potential amount of information that is delivered to each home.

While the vast majority of our customers use our services considerately and their usage levels during peak hours don’t disproportionately affect the shared network capacity, we know that a very small number of subscribers use an excessive amount of network bandwidth at peak time. Those users engage in substantial continuous download activity of a level greatly exceeding the normal levels for a residential service, to an extent that can impair the performance of the network, decreasing thereafter the speed of the broadband service available to all other users.

To guarantee that all the subscribers of wi-tribe have an enjoyable experience while using the Internet, wi-tribe has put in place the Fair Usage Policy to ensure that there is an optimal service for all subscribers and that the service is fairly used by everyone.

Am I likely to be affected by the Fair Use Policy?

If you don’t use file sharing software or download large files frequently from the Internet, it’s unlikely you’ll ever be affected by this policy. Don’t forget that media streaming, including the streaming of internet radio contributes to your use of bandwidth and may, if left permanently on, cause you to be in breach of this policy.

All we ask is that you do so considerately. To get the best speeds, we encourage you to do your heavy downloading during the off-peak hours of 12am to 6am.

What will happen if my use is very high?

For frequent excessive high usage, we may suspend your service and/or possibly close your account. We don’t want to do that, and with your support and goodwill we’ll work with you to see how we can avoid this happening.

If you find that your Internet needs have increased, we suggest that you upgrade to the next higher plan, which will offer even better speeds and freedom of use.

What can I do to keep my usage on a normal level?

To help avoid this happening in future, here are some simple tips that would help manage your usage.

1. Avoid leaving your PC/Laptop on when not using it.

• All sorts of data is often sent to / from your PC to websites and software suppliers.
    • Turn off the pc when you are not using it, or at least disconnect from the internet.

2. Avoid opening multiple pages in your browser and leaving them open.

• Web pages are continuously refreshing and updating, and leaving multiple pages open in your. browser will mean that images, videos and banner advertising are continuously pumped to your machine.
    • Close web pages that you are not using.

3. Avoid regular movie downloading.

• Movie and music files tend to be very large.
    • Avoid regular movie downloading or at least do this in moderation. One movie every week or two is fine.

4. Avoid regular sharing / downloading of large files such as peer to peer file shares for music, videos, software, and games.

• At a minimum, ensure you are using a zip file, which is compressed files, for large file transfers. Spread your file sharing over the month rather than having a heavy download over a few days.

5. Limit automated software updates.

• Your PC/Laptop operating system and other software may have automatic updates turned on, which means it is using your Internet connection even when you are not aware of it.
    • Ensure you turn off any automatic updates on software you are using, and only allow updates that you need.

By following these tips you will help ensure everyone including yourself will enjoy the great speeds that we are committed to offering our customers.

5. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,540 / 1,016
    John, if you have a need, you are welcome to come by my house to do any big downloads or overnight downloads. I am only using my internet from 6-8am and briefly during the day to check news and sports.

6. expatron

expatron DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +514 / 126
    Also keep in mind. Last week Smart called and asked if we wanted to continue service. My wife said yes, now we are committed to a two year verbal contract like it or not.

7. OP
    OP
    johncarson

Ratings:
    +252 / 19
    Thanks, Ron and Pat. I will be fine for the rest of the month, and next month I’ll insist that my gf and her sister limit their usage. It would have been helpful if Smart had included the new information in their monthly billing statement or somehow brought it to my attention. Before today I thought my plan was for unlimited usage. I was told there was only one plan when I signed up. Interesting to note that even if you sign up for their new unlimited usage plan, they can still penalize you if you use too much.

8. expatron

expatron DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +514 / 126
    John, when I was at smart the girl behind the counter agreed with me that it wasn't fair they instituted their plan without notice, she said she didn't know till the day before it started and felt bad telling customers the day before that, the plan for P999 was for unlimited download.

9. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    The only way to fight something like this is as a group. The huge companies here know that nobody complains, and those few that do, do so alone, where they are quickly dispatched with smiling clerks who have no control. If enough people get together, they will be forced to listen. How can they legally enforce a "limit" on "unlimited usage plan"? Easy, nobody takes them to task.

Larry

10. expatron

expatron DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +514 / 126
    Correct Larry, I wonder if DTI know's anything?