Dumaguete Info Search

SMART! Offering something for nothing?

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Jack Peterson, Jul 21, 2016.

1. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,207 / 1,082
    :hmmm: Had a phone call from Smart not Long ago, well I say Smart but it was PLDT, they are asking if I want to migrate to a new Ultraplan contract. Now I am only on the basic 3 mbs at 999 peso that gets Throttled back to 1 mbs after a time, So the Girl was saying that if I Migrate and take the new 2 year plan I can have the Full 3 mbs with no throttle back Yeah? something for Nothing, I am always skeptical of Free things so I will go down later and see what is what.
    Maybe they are just embarking on a lets keep our customers (I believe many are just opting out of PLDT) Anyone else had this happen? Their words were an offer to long Standing Customers with a clean sheet. So we shall see but I am not going to Hold my Breath on the No throttle back. Could it be they are just trying to get people tied up into another 2/3 years aboard the Good ship SMART? :whistling:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    Sometime PLDT do offer something for nothing. A year and a half ago I signed up for a 2 year contract to get 3 Mbps DSL and a landline. Recently they upgraded the same contract to 5 Mbps with no application or extension required, its just something they are doing for all their customers as they improve their service.

Obviously there must be something in it for them at the corporate level because they are a business. I hope it is something simple like passing savings on to customers in the form of a service upgrade or perhaps a long term goal of customer retention.

• Like Like x 1
  3. OP
    OP
    Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,207 / 1,082
    Seems they do, as I am within 3 months of my Current Contract they are offering this 3mbs static to retain my Custom, can only hope the 3mbs stays and does not get throttled.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. robert k

robert k DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,213 / 264
    Hmm Jack, must you sign up for a new contract or will you be on a month to month or terminate at will basis?

5. OP
    OP
    Jack Peterson

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,207 / 1,082
    New Contract less the 3 months Remaining on this one so 21 months in all ( Mine was on a 2 year Contract.)

6. robert k

robert k DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,213 / 264
    I can understand why there is a contract for new installation and service but I don't see why there should be a contract after, except because they can demand it. I wonder if they would turn off your service if you didn't have a contract even though you paid your bill. It would be a good experiment for me I suppose. If I ever get a chance to put it into practice I will let you know how it goes.

7. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    They do not. Once you contract runs out you just keep on getting and paying for the same service until you go into the office and tell them to stop. I have not figured out how to get service in the first place without some form of contract so that would be the dilemma. Of course there is always the 'pay as you go' USB stick that needs no contract.

8. Show Pony

Show Pony DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +2,367 / 1,258
    I had a two year contract and just continued to pay the monthly bill.
    SMART had been getting paid by automatic withdrawal from my bank. They continued to make withdrawals after the service was cut.
    I did finally get a cash refund. The supervisor tried to tell me various accounting charges had reduced my refund to zero. I see Madame, please explain the charges and how they exactly equalled my credit.
    She was a little annoyed when she had to pay me out of her purse. She assumed wrong that I probably wouldn't be back to collect my money. :-) :-) :-)

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. KINGCOLE

KINGCOLE DI Senior Member Highly Rated Poster

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +984 / 443
    Blood Type:
    A+
    When our 2 year family plan contract expired with Globe, they informed me that we would have to have individual plans, but as loyal customers, we would get a discount. As the expiry date of our contract had passed and the new contract started, I expected a hiccup, so was not surprised when our next bills arrived, as they were double the previous months on the old contract. I tried to understand the bill, but it was like trying to decipher the Rosetta Stone, but would wait for the next bill where the charges would be adjusted. No such luck, the next bill was also double what it should have been. My wife went to Globe in Robinsons and the customer services sorted it all out to our satisfaction. Their answer was that we were being charged on our old contract and also on the new contract. My wife asked how we could be charged on two separate contracts on one bill, when we only have one cellphone number each. As you can guess, nobody could give a proper answer. I wish there was number portability here, as I would leave Globe tomorrow. Most of the good deals are for new customers and they include lots of extras that I don't really need or want.

• Informative Informative x 1