Dumaguete Info Search

Utilities & Mobile smartfone questions

Discussion in 'Businesses - Services - Products' started by kelpguy, Feb 25, 2018.

1. kelpguy

kelpguy DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +673 / 92
    smartfone question #1:
    can i have a load sent to my smartfone/mobile and then get online using the mobile, provided i'm in range of a tower?
    is that called data usage (p5 for 15 minutes online)

thanks...

2. OP
    OP
    kelpguy

kelpguy DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +673 / 92
    smartfone question #2:
    i have a sim card in my pc modem which has a promo loaded to it, can i take the sim out of the modem and insert it in a smartfone/mobile and use the sim and promo to get online, provided i'm in range of a tower?

thanks...

3. OP
    OP
    kelpguy

kelpguy DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +673 / 92
    smartfone question #3
    how can i stop my mobile from using it's load when i'm not using the fone?

thanks...

4. Edward K

Edward K DI Senior Member Veteran Navy

Ratings:
    +995 / 82
    I have a samsung galaxy dual sim, one smart sim, one globe sim. We have wifi at home for internet.

I buy one 300 peso load card for SMART and load it myself. It's good for 3 months, sign up for SaktoData99, good for 500 mb DATA (internet) for 30 days, usually use most of it (cost=99 pesos). Most bars & restaurants have free wifi, so i rarely use the whole 500. So i use 198 pesos of the 300 on DATA for two months.

for GLOBE, i use one 100 peso load card, good for one month.

For TEXT and PHONE, i just pay 1 peso per text and 7 pesos per minute for phone, which is rare. This is deducted from the "load"

So, i've been doing this routine for over 6 months now, and my monthly cell phone costs are 200 pesos or $4 USD.

To stop your "load drain," turn off the "mobile data" unless you are using it. You don't need it when you are connected to any wifi, and use the setting to "connect to this wifi when detected". Also be careful to turn off anything that your phone might want to connect to. Not sure about question #2.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Plainspoken

Plainspoken DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +325 / 280
    Yes, and yes . to do this go to Settings, Cellular, Turn on Cellular Data

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
  6. Plainspoken

Ratings:
    +325 / 280
    No, no and no

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Plainspoken

Ratings:
    +325 / 280
    go to settings, Cellular, then turn off Cellular Data. If Cellular Data is turned off you will not be able to do what you asked in Question #1. So turn it on when you want to go on the internet and off when you don't.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I think it depends on the type of SIM card, modem and frequency that is being used by the modem. I know with those pocket modems (or pocket wifi), which I think he is talking about, you certainly can use the SIM cards in a phone...and usually have to put it in a phone to renew the promo code, unless you know how to text the promo codes through your browser. Activate any promo code from any SIM card and you can throw it in a pocket wifi and you will have internet, so long as there is mobile data available in your area.

With somewhat newer phones you don't even need those pocket wifi devices. Your phone can serve the exact same purpose.
    For Android 8.x:
    Settings>Network & Internet>Hotspot & Tethering>Activate "Wi-Fi hotspot"

You can set up the Network name and password under the "Set up Wi-Fi hotspot" setting. Once this setting is active check for the wifi network on another device.

Note: While you have the hotspot active you will not be able to connect your phone to a wifi network. (If you turn on your wifi it will automatically turn off your wifi hotspot.) This will also drain your battery about twice as fast as it normally would.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Sedona

Sedona DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +673 / 102
    Seems you need an advanced degree in computer science and IT management just to make a phone call these days.

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. Plainspoken

Ratings:
    +325 / 280
    Yes, you are right I'm sure. A pocket wifi didn't occur to me. I have a couple of pocket wifi's and the sims do work. I also have a couple of phones that I have used the hot spot on. Sometimes us old guys are not just limited to not riding motorcycles. Sometimes we forget pertinent information. You will get there someday. I will say this, though. When I was younger I rode motocross and was very close to as good as Malcolm Smith, (I'm sure you will have to look him up), I also was a genius and more buff than Arnold Schwarzenegger. That's the way I remember it. As far as the sim goes, I was thinking only of a regular powered, sit on the desk modem with an antennae because I am looking at one now. I have tried a phone sim in mine, Globe, and couldn't make it work. Therefore my incomplete and somewhat erroneous answer.

• Like Like x 2