Dumaguete Info Search

smells like high methanol gas to me?

Discussion in '☋ General Chat ☋' started by tunji oluwajuyemi, Nov 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tunji oluwajuyemi

tunji oluwajuyemi DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +47 / 0
    Is the gasoline here in negros high ethanol? its color is strange to me i just started buying it for my honda generator and my honda weed trimmer loses its carburator any time I use ethanol gas so its a need to know,the generator will handle ethanol but honda makes good boat engines and stranded at sea with a full tank and new honda boat motor was an issue at one time when ethonol first went main stream..Are we high ethanol in dumgte???

2. simple mind

simple mind DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +19 / 4
    Never had a problem with my Honda Bike and I have never heard of anybody else, the main problem with Engines in my experience is long standing without use and without draining the Gasoline from the Carburator when storing the Engine which leads to clogging up of the Jets.:wink:

3. ReBelBiKeR

ReBelBiKeR DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    this is also what im monitoring really closely here in neg-or...

luzon is high ethanol, and if you have an ordinary fiberglass tank, your engine gets destroyed even before you get to finish your first full tank!

here in negros oriental -- with the same ordinary fiberglass tank -- my engines run happily even if you let the gas sit for 2 weeks. and that leads me to the conclusion that neg-or is not high ethanol.

here are things to check:

1. when fuel has sat for quite a while in your tank, you have to drain all the petrol in the carb bowl as ethanol-petrol spoils when exposed to moisture. check fuel filters as well.

2. if your engine uses a fiberglass tank, then consider replacing it if you sense there's sticky substance showing in the carb port. it's brownish in colour, and its really sticky. plastic tanks reportedly do not produce the same kind of problem.

3. if you seldom use the engine (mower, outboard motor, etc) it is best to drain the tank as ethanol-based fuels also tend to attract moisture, and could build water up when left unused for quite some time. and this water is what causes the hard starting.

4. Manzanita

Manzanita DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    I know Caltex Silver has 10% ethanol.
    I use the "uncut" Caltex Premium for me motorcycle and genset.

5. OP
    OP
    tunji oluwajuyemi

Ratings:
    +47 / 0
    My brand new honda weed wacker ran for only an hour at a time straight out of the box from the factory and I used the same gas that ran my honda generator for years, after taking the weed wacker in,i was told not to leave gas sitting in the tank but also as they charged it to the warranty they told me honda Corp.sent them memo that no more warranties would be done in such cases cause the manual says no ethanol.Honda fixed this problem by mandate when boat motors cut out at sea,but the weed wackers are not adapted yet or at least the 350 model 4 stroke engine is not...Thanks for the ethanol rating info though..

6. OP
    OP
    tunji oluwajuyemi

Ratings:
    +47 / 0
    PS. the govt mandates affected american sold products like I have,the malaysian made for asia may not really take the precautions if local govts. dont mandate like in the U.S.

7. Knowdafish

Knowdafish DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    Using stabil or any other quality fuel stabilizer additive is the key. Stabil works fantastic and keeps fuel good for a year, even fuel in a carbs float bowl if it doesn't evaporate 1st!! I used it in my 1990 Ford F-250 HD (fuel injected) before I left the U.S. 1 year ago. The battery has been on a very slow trickle charger for a year and was fully charged when I got back AND it was not low on water! 3 seconds of cranking and it fired right up! After sitting for a year!! :D

stabil - Google Search

8. Don

Don DI Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 1
    I have no idea if Negros Or. is "full ethonol" or not.
    All I know is my surplus Suzuki 4X4 runs fine, and my Makati model 411 weed cutter runs fine on the 93 octane I buy mostly at Caltex. My weed cutter sat almost 1/2 yr. without being used (draught last year...LOL!) and fired up on the first pull.!

9. ReBelBiKeR

ReBelBiKeR DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    up up...

dumaguete has started selling petrol with a substantial amount of ethanol. to what percentage is not clear, but my ordinary fiberglass tanks have begun reacting to the Caltex and Petron fuels already a week ago. got that sticky substance in my carbs. but the reaction though was not as bad as the one i got in luzon where the intake and exhaust valves were bent and had to be replaced obviously.

just a friendly heads up, start-to-monitor note for fiberglass tank users. :cool:

10. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0

As someone who has been working on gasoline engines for near 40 years, I fail to comprehend how ethanol can bend
    intake and exhaust valves? The only way I know that valves can be bent is by something hitting them, usually a
    piston!

Larry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.