Dumaguete Info Search

Food & Grocery Smoking meat

Discussion in 'Businesses - Services - Products' started by Aotearoa, Jan 1, 2023.

1. Aotearoa

Aotearoa DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 1
    Hey,

I quite enjoy smoking meat on my weber and was hoping to continue cooking some smoked meat in Phil. Has anyone purchased or made a smoker? What wood do you use etc etc? I sent a cheap weber knock off in a balikbayan box, along with some briquettes and a small amount of hickory wood a while back. That was ok but if we are going to spend more time in Phil I'll need something better.

2. DAVE1952

DAVE1952 DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,095 / 219
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    For a number of years I smoked my own bacon and fish back there in PH, for this I used a small cold smoke generator available on line there at P450, this was done in a cardboard box, I used this same box for 3yrs, I used any kind of sawdust available there, I am a half baked carpenter, usually I would measure twice but end up cutting 3 times so I had plenty of home produced sawdust mostly it was Mahogany and Tugas or Luan I also tried Coco wood and even that was not bad, by far the best method seems to be semi hot smoking which I believe is done at around 45C however the cold method is not at all bad, it is said that a temp between 28 and 38 could propagate bacteria, so I would start mine at 4am at that time the ambient temp would be round 22 to 24 and I would have this on for 4hrs by 8am the temp was reaching 28C but by that time there was a layer of strong heavily smoked meat to the outside and it be more resistant to the bacteria I guess? there is a 20ltr bag of Tugas sawdust lying at my house in Valencia, I am not there at this time but I can get in touch with my partner there and find out if this is still available or if she intends to use it?

• Like Like x 2
  3. OP
    OP
    Aotearoa

Aotearoa DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 1
    Hi, Thanks, that's a kind offer. I was more thinking the American style BBQ smoking. 'Low and slow' for ribs, brisket, pork shoulder etc. Sawdust wouldn't work, normally I use hickory or fruit woods and charcoal.

4. Randyb

Randyb DI Member Blood Donor

Ratings:
    +44 / 3
    Blood Type:
    B+
    I had a smoker built here out of concrete that works for me. I use mango branches to smoke with and am satisfied.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Crystalhead

Crystalhead ADMIN Admin ★ Forum Moderator ★ ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ ★★ Forum Sponsor ★★ ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired
    Ratings:
    +1,991 / 1,090
    Chinese (large part) and a small number of Filipino use
    Lychee wood

• Like Like x 1
  6. Kilam63

Kilam63 DI Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Air Force

Retired
    Ratings:
    +135 / 3
    Blood Type:
    A+
    There are lots of smoker wood chips on Lazada/Shoppee...used cherry to smoke my turkey on Thanksgiving.

• Agree Agree x 1