Dumaguete Info Search

So nice to meet you......almost.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by woodenships11, Nov 1, 2016.

1. woodenships11

woodenships11 DI Junior Member Showcase Reviewer

Professional "Neer do well!"
    Ratings:
    +12 / 1
    Blood Type:
    A-
    I only hope that the Dumaguete area is half as cool as this site. I've been pouring over lots of helpful info, and different takes on the area the last 24-hours. I will land there Thursday and have a couple of stays lined up thru the 12th while I hunt for digs. really love the vibe I'm getting...oops!! New font?? Time to bail. Ciao!! Hope to meet you along the trail. Be well. :smile:

• Like Like x 2
  2. Topcat72m

Topcat72m DI New Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 1
    Blood Type:
    O-
    Have a great time. Spend a little time in Cebu also. Can be fun.

3. robert k

robert k DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,213 / 264
    Couple stays? Days? I like the abbreviation, maybe it will catch on?:happy:

4. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Welcome to the forum and thanks for the comments on the site. Hope your stay is a good one.

• Like Like x 1
  5. OP
    OP
    woodenships11

Ratings:
    +12 / 1
    Blood Type:
    A-
    4-days at one place, 5-at another. "Stays?" Right?? Whatever the correct term I can't wait.

6. Edward K

Edward K DI Senior Member Veteran Navy

Ratings:
    +995 / 82
    Welcome to the site, i've found lots of resources just by asking... Sorry, but 4 days is just scratching the surface. We stayed a month last year to "scope" out the place before arriving four months ago. If that is not possible, plan on renting for a short term before you finally choose an area, added cost but much easier to move. Lots of places come furnished. Cebu depends on what you are lookin for and where you came from. Too crowded for us. PS we're 72 and 62.

Consider this an excellent opportunity to EDIT the crap outta your "possessions." We had a massive garage sale, all our junk, all our furniture, 90% of our clothes, 80% of our kitchen, two cars, arrived with 2 boxes air shipped, 6 boxes ocean shipped (size of balikbayan).. And shredded 12 boxes of archive papers, scanned about 100 docs and pictures, brought one box of papers.

We left San Francisco after 40 years (of building and maintaining steel ships, what was your connection). SF is now so crowded, arrogant, inconsiderate, worse traffic than Dumaguete (with road rage, not evident in Dmgte), and almost as bad as Cebu that we would not consider anything bigger than Dmgte, like Cebu or Bacolod. One problem with a town the size of Dmgt is, if you are not used to the Philippines, is vendors / contractors lack ATD (attention to detail), there are many things that are difficult to get (took me a month to find my hearing aid batteries in town), many things are "out of stock" (standard answer, as Filipinos hate telling you they don't carry it). Otherwise it's a really nice place to live. Do get used to roosters or yappy dogs early in the am, goes with the territory. NOTE: THE PROS STILL FAR OUTWEIGH THE CONS. We've extended our rental place for an extra six months, then making a final decision.

Be sure to check this board, might be able to find a lot of stuff you need. Robinsons for cheap stuff, Lee Super Plaza is higher end stuff. Lee Hypermart has big inventory. Organic market at National (or Veterans, or main drag) and Blanco on tues and fri (some stalls open 7 days).

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. OP
    OP
    woodenships11

Ratings:
    +12 / 1
    Blood Type:
    A-
    Thank you for all the info. I'll be there 9-days. I'll know. In the '70's I moved from a Midwestern tomb in Michigan to Phoenix and ASU (Tempe) after seeing an overhead shot of the Valley of the Sun during the NBA All Star Game telecast.I stayed 22-years off and on between radio gigs. My daughter started at ASU, fell in love with a guy from Cape Cod who hated Arizona.He bailed, took her with. I'm close with my daughter so I sold my end of a healthy mobile catering biz and moved to the Cape sight unseen and got a gig at a radio station. Stayed there nearly 15-years, 3-different "tours of duty." LOL. Let me re-iterate. I'll know. :smile:

Cebu? No way. Like you. Nothing bigger than "D." I couldn't have been more disappointed in Baguio and/or Tagaytay. Been there a total of a month.

I'm soon to be 69-but I'm hell bent on making memories. This will be a good one. I'm feeling it. Hope we meet up.

8. OP
    OP
    woodenships11

Ratings:
    +12 / 1
    Blood Type:
    A-
    By the way. Love the Bay Area. Lived a summer in "Berzerkly" on San Vicente near the Fairmont in the '70's. My roommate then is a Michigan HS friend who just hung up his law shingle and lives in the splendor of Grass Valley where I visited just before arriving here. Do you need help carting around all that :greedy:$ you must have made cashing in after 40-years. Kidding. It has become all to much your description. RIP the City of Love.

9. Edward K

Edward K DI Senior Member Veteran Navy

Ratings:
    +995 / 82
    We were renting, mostly what we got for the garage sale. Didn't realize you were coming from Luzon, we decided a decade ago we didn't like Luzon, affected our planning this year. Very admirable that you can pick up and move without a lot of planning. Welcome to the area.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Cletus

Cletus DI Forum Adept Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +357 / 107
    Welcome aboard the forum Woodenships. This forum is made up mostly of misfits and skallywags, so you should fit right in. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1