Dumaguete Info Search

Home & Garden Solar power

Discussion in 'Businesses - Services - Products' started by george, May 16, 2020.

1. george

george DI Member

Ratings:
    +58 / 3
    Does anyone one here have an operating solar panel system for their home? I'd love to hear about your experiences with it.

2. grandpainak

grandpainak DI Forum Patron Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +700 / 163
    I have a 3,000 W system hooked to the grid.
    First I must worn you about "The Solar Guy", Stay away, he is a good sales man and a better lier.
    When my Noreco bill hit more that 13,000 pesos a month I turned off the air-cons (2). Bill dropped back to 7 or 8 thousand. After the install with the air-con off it went down to less that 2,000. I am planing on adding another 3000 Wats to my system.

3. eskirvin

eskirvin DI Forum Adept Blood Donor Veteran Navy

Signal Planner
    Ratings:
    +410 / 50
    Blood Type:
    A-
    So you had a 13k electric bill, turned off the ACs to get to 7 or 8K, installed this solar system, and now you are at only 2k? Just trying to figure out the timeline. That's pretty good in my opinion.

4. grandpainak

Ratings:
    +700 / 163
    2 or 3 years. The Solar Guy was screwing around with THE INSTALL THAT TOOK MORE THAT A YEAR FOR A 1 DAY INSTALL JOB. After a year wife, handy man and I had to finish The Solar Guy's install ourselves. His break even clam is off by more than 60%. The 3000 w up grade will be done by us. The grid system is when NORECO pays you half of what they charge you wate for wate. Say one watt of their power cost 10, they only pay you 5 for your 1 watt.

• Informative Informative x 2
  5. eskirvin

eskirvin DI Forum Adept Blood Donor Veteran Navy

Signal Planner
    Ratings:
    +410 / 50
    Blood Type:
    A-
    NORECO seems like a lovely organization.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. grandpainak

Ratings:
    +700 / 163
    It is more fun in the PI. That works out to be 100% interest. That would be illegal if money. Being WATES its OK!

Last edited: May 16, 2020
  7. SkipJack

SkipJack DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1,160 / 79
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    You might want to look at other aspects of your electrical situation.

I have two air con (1 each 1hp, 1 each 2hp) there is always one running, sometimes two. If there are 720 hours in a month then I am running at least 900 hrs per month of air con operation and my bill is only 4,000 php total for everything in the house.

So I am confused when your bill is 7 - 8 thousand without air con and another 5 thousand for the air con. Maybe the 5 thousand for the air con is not so bad if you have a large home.

Maybe you can reduce your bill by investing in more efficient systems. What are you running that costs 7 - 8 thousand php when the air con is off? Are you using good quality split type air cons?

8. Jens K

Jens K DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +764 / 47
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    I agree, these numbers seem off. 7-8k without aircon seems ridiculously high. I admit I live alone but with nightly AC use (lets say 300 hours/month) my electric bill is rarely above 1800.

Unless you have quite a few old freezers / fridges running and cook with electricty I would suspect some other household is leeching on your connection...

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    You should also consider if you want to go the grid tied noreco will make it very difficult even though its written into law.

10. Happy Camper

Happy Camper DI Senior Member Restricted Account Infamous Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,395 / 180
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Knew a guy that lived outside of Bacolod who had very high electric bills also. He had an electrician come by and check his home out to make sure all was well. Then he had CENECO, the power company, come out and check his meter, all was well. Still had high power bills.

I told him to turn off his power one day and then check to see if his meter was still running. He did so. His son then returned home from the internet cafe across the street. He asked him why he came home. The son told him they had a "brown out" just as he had turned off his power.

CENECO came back out and sure enough, the Internet Cafe was running off his line. Problem solved, account credited.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1