Dumaguete Info Search

Some Costs in Dumaguete

Discussion in '☋ General Chat ☋' started by tfa1957, May 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tfa1957

tfa1957 DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Hi All,

I met a gentleman named Gary Davis from another Philippine site and he is now a member of our site also. While talking with him, he was kind enough to provide me some costs for Dumaguete and Gary said it was okay to share the email with you. So here it is and hope it's helpful for you folks considering moving to Dumaguete.

Hi Tom,

The reason I asked you if you had been to the Philippines before was twofold. One was to warn you not to underestimate the 'culture shock'. I have lived in such third world countries as Zambia, South Africa and Panama (I'll give Florida the benefit of the doubt). Coupled with the digging I did about the Philippines before I left the US, I thought I might have avoided the culture shock. Wrong!

The second reason is that since you havn't been here, I'll go into some of the background info instead of just giving you bare costs. Incidentally, the $ costs are converted at todays rate of 47.20 pesos to the US$. Be aware that the rate is likely to be lower (P46.50 - 47.00) by the time you come later this year.

HOUSING:
    Ok. Lets start with housing. Firstly, there is no MLS in the Philippines and no realtor who handles rentals in Dumaguete. Rentals are 'advertised' on a couple of notice boards at expat hangouts, sometimes in the local weekly newspaper but mainly on gates, fences, notices nailed to trees or not at all (i.e. known only by word of mouth). So your best bet is to be prepared to stay in a hotel for a month or so while you ride the streets looking at areas or talk to as many locals as you can. (Decent hotels in Dumaguete are $15-20 a night, especially if you book for a month).

Also, most rentals, (or houses for that matter), do not come with airconditioning or hot water. Most expats just have a window aircon in the bedroom and have a shower heater. You buy the aircon unit ($250-300) and the shower heater ($75-150) and take them with you when you leave. If there is already aircon & hot shower in the house it will add to the rent.

Very few rentals are furnished and that adds about $100 a month if you can find them.

When we (my Filipina girlfriend and I) first came to Dumaguete last August, we rented a house with a very large garden, easilly big enough for a couple of dogs. It had 3 bedrooms, 3 CR's (bathrooms), a large kitchen, a dining room and a living room. No aircon or hot water. We rented for P16,000 ($340) a month. See first 4 pics. (It also had a vacant lot next door with standing water = mosquitoes, non-paved road=same, and a design which made putting aircon in ineffective).

We then found our present house, 3 bedrooms, 2 CR's, large kitchen/diningroom, large living/tv room, tiled floors, small garden. No aircon or hot shower, (we added both). Rent is P8,000 ($170) a month. See pics 5-11. (We bought all the furniture).

A friend has a new double storey house, 3 bedrooms, 2 CR's, large kitchen/diningroom and large living room, small garden. Rents for P15,000 ($318) a month. He also has a neighbors cow just outside his bedroom window and a karaoke bar 50 yards away, that blasts from about 8 a.m. to 11.pm. (Remember culture shock?)

Valencia properties are about the same, though the elevation makes aircon not a necessity.

UTILITIES:
    Electricity: Low for us has been P1,100 ($23) in January, the coolest month and high P1,865 ($40) in April, the hottest month. This month will probably be the same. No aircon will take about 50% off that. (We run the aircon only at night, but have a fridge, tv, kitchen appliances, etc and the computer is on for much of the day).

Propane Gas: Used for most cooking. A P520 ($11) cannister lasts us about 4 months.

Water: A straight P180 ($4) a month.

Cable TV: 60+ stations, including CNN, BBC, Aust BC, News Asia, ESPN, 24/7 basketball channel, pathetic versions of HBO & Cinemax. You can get almost all the popular USA shows, but usually 1 series behind (CSI (x3) ,24, the various Law & Orders, etc). P425 ($9) a month.

Telephone + DSL Internet: P1,100 ($24) a month.

FOOD & GROCERIES:
    We eat pretty well, even by US standards. Our monthly bill averages P10,000 ($212). This includes soaps, toothpaste, wine, candy, Jenny's skin care/hygiene products, trash bags, etc. It does not include bottled water (don't drink the tap water). We bought a water cooler like most offices in the US have ($45) and the big water botlles are $3 to buy and then 90 cents to swap used for full - delivered to your door.

Some individual prices from last weeks grocery bill at the supermarket:
    Nestle's Corn Flakes - large box $1.80, Nestle's (NZ) or Anchor (NZ) Milk 1,000ml $1.40
    Anchor Butter 8 oz. $1.56, Coke litre 73 cents, Kraft mayo 470ml $2.29
    Breast of chicken (both breasts) fresh - 92 cents. Large shrimp/prawns per lb $3.46
    Can of beer 450ml 54 cents, 16 Kraft Cheese slices $3, bag of 4 carrots 53 cents,
    bunch of spring onions 32 cents. Potatoes, lettuce vary but are pretty cheap.

Local fresh fish can be bought very cheaply from the various 'fresh' markets as can pork and chicken. Beef is more expensive. Beef round is about $2 a lb, steak about $3 a lb (for imported Aussie or NZ (New Zealand) beef or lamb, double that).

EATING OUT: We spend about P6,000 ($127) a month on eating out, from McDonalds / Jollibees at $3.20 for 2 (Cheeseburger, fries, chicken leg, rice, cokes), to $18 for 2 (2 pepper steaks, fries, rice, vegetables, 2 beers, 2 margharitas), at one of best restaurants in town.

GAS: Unleaded 93 octane is P39.02 per litre, which if my calc is right, is $3.13 per US gal.

DOG FOOD: P1600 ($34) for 100 lbs.

VISA: If you are coming in on a tourist visa and extending every 2 months, that will cost about P2000 ($43) each, every 2 months, plus your annual trip out of the country.

That should keep you thinking for a few hours :-)

I've been here almost a year now and I love it. Coming here from the US was the best move I ever made. I should have done it 10 years ago (I'm 67 and feel 37 :-)).

Ask any other questions you want. Look forward to meeting you later this year.

Gary

Thank you very much Gary

2. pickled_newt

pickled_newt DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +17 / 12
    Thanks Tom for sharing the detailed email of your friend Gary .This is an invaluable piece of information to many who have faint knowledge of the cost of living in Dgte .Thanks also for Gary who took time to write all those.:smile:

3. golfboy

golfboy One Hit Wonder?

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Great Information!

Hi Tom,

I just joined the board in order to figure out where to retire in the Philippines and this infomation from your friend Gary is invaluable. I'm 50 years old from So. California and seeking to retire in the next two years. I've visited PI at least 20 times in the last 10 years primarily for golf. I've heard Dumaguete is a beautiful place to live.

Once again, thank you.

Golf Boy

QUOTE=tfa1957;4979]Hi All,

I met a gentleman named Gary Davis from another Philippine site and he is now a member of our site also. While talking with him, he was kind enough to provide me some costs for Dumaguete and Gary said it was okay to share the email with you. So here it is and hope it's helpful for you folks considering moving to Dumaguete.

Hi Tom,

The reason I asked you if you had been to the Philippines before was twofold. One was to warn you not to underestimate the 'culture shock'. I have lived in such third world countries as Zambia, South Africa and Panama (I'll give Florida the benefit of the doubt). Coupled with the digging I did about the Philippines before I left the US, I thought I might have avoided the culture shock. Wrong!

The second reason is that since you havn't been here, I'll go into some of the background info instead of just giving you bare costs. Incidentally, the $ costs are converted at todays rate of 47.20 pesos to the US$. Be aware that the rate is likely to be lower (P46.50 - 47.00) by the time you come later this year.

HOUSING:
    Ok. Lets start with housing. Firstly, there is no MLS in the Philippines and no realtor who handles rentals in Dumaguete. Rentals are 'advertised' on a couple of notice boards at expat hangouts, sometimes in the local weekly newspaper but mainly on gates, fences, notices nailed to trees or not at all (i.e. known only by word of mouth). So your best bet is to be prepared to stay in a hotel for a month or so while you ride the streets looking at areas or talk to as many locals as you can. (Decent hotels in Dumaguete are $15-20 a night, especially if you book for a month).

Also, most rentals, (or houses for that matter), do not come with airconditioning or hot water. Most expats just have a window aircon in the bedroom and have a shower heater. You buy the aircon unit ($250-300) and the shower heater ($75-150) and take them with you when you leave. If there is already aircon & hot shower in the house it will add to the rent.

Very few rentals are furnished and that adds about $100 a month if you can find them.

When we (my Filipina girlfriend and I) first came to Dumaguete last August, we rented a house with a very large garden, easilly big enough for a couple of dogs. It had 3 bedrooms, 3 CR's (bathrooms), a large kitchen, a dining room and a living room. No aircon or hot water. We rented for P16,000 ($340) a month. See first 4 pics. (It also had a vacant lot next door with standing water = mosquitoes, non-paved road=same, and a design which made putting aircon in ineffective).

We then found our present house, 3 bedrooms, 2 CR's, large kitchen/diningroom, large living/tv room, tiled floors, small garden. No aircon or hot shower, (we added both). Rent is P8,000 ($170) a month. See pics 5-11. (We bought all the furniture).

A friend has a new double storey house, 3 bedrooms, 2 CR's, large kitchen/diningroom and large living room, small garden. Rents for P15,000 ($318) a month. He also has a neighbors cow just outside his bedroom window and a karaoke bar 50 yards away, that blasts from about 8 a.m. to 11.pm. (Remember culture shock?)

Valencia properties are about the same, though the elevation makes aircon not a necessity.

UTILITIES:
    Electricity: Low for us has been P1,100 ($23) in January, the coolest month and high P1,865 ($40) in April, the hottest month. This month will probably be the same. No aircon will take about 50% off that. (We run the aircon only at night, but have a fridge, tv, kitchen appliances, etc and the computer is on for much of the day).

Propane Gas: Used for most cooking. A P520 ($11) cannister lasts us about 4 months.

Water: A straight P180 ($4) a month.

Cable TV: 60+ stations, including CNN, BBC, Aust BC, News Asia, ESPN, 24/7 basketball channel, pathetic versions of HBO & Cinemax. You can get almost all the popular USA shows, but usually 1 series behind (CSI (x3) ,24, the various Law & Orders, etc). P425 ($9) a month.

Telephone + DSL Internet: P1,100 ($24) a month.

FOOD & GROCERIES:
    We eat pretty well, even by US standards. Our monthly bill averages P10,000 ($212). This includes soaps, toothpaste, wine, candy, Jenny's skin care/hygiene products, trash bags, etc. It does not include bottled water (don't drink the tap water). We bought a water cooler like most offices in the US have ($45) and the big water botlles are $3 to buy and then 90 cents to swap used for full - delivered to your door.

Some individual prices from last weeks grocery bill at the supermarket:
    Nestle's Corn Flakes - large box $1.80, Nestle's (NZ) or Anchor (NZ) Milk 1,000ml $1.40
    Anchor Butter 8 oz. $1.56, Coke litre 73 cents, Kraft mayo 470ml $2.29
    Breast of chicken (both breasts) fresh - 92 cents. Large shrimp/prawns per lb $3.46
    Can of beer 450ml 54 cents, 16 Kraft Cheese slices $3, bag of 4 carrots 53 cents,
    bunch of spring onions 32 cents. Potatoes, lettuce vary but are pretty cheap.

Local fresh fish can be bought very cheaply from the various 'fresh' markets as can pork and chicken. Beef is more expensive. Beef round is about $2 a lb, steak about $3 a lb (for imported Aussie or NZ (New Zealand) beef or lamb, double that).

EATING OUT: We spend about P6,000 ($127) a month on eating out, from McDonalds / Jollibees at $3.20 for 2 (Cheeseburger, fries, chicken leg, rice, cokes), to $18 for 2 (2 pepper steaks, fries, rice, vegetables, 2 beers, 2 margharitas), at one of best restaurants in town.

GAS: Unleaded 93 octane is P39.02 per litre, which if my calc is right, is $3.13 per US gal.

DOG FOOD: P1600 ($34) for 100 lbs.

VISA: If you are coming in on a tourist visa and extending every 2 months, that will cost about P2000 ($43) each, every 2 months, plus your annual trip out of the country.

That should keep you thinking for a few hours :-)

I've been here almost a year now and I love it. Coming here from the US was the best move I ever made. I should have done it 10 years ago (I'm 67 and feel 37 :-)).

Ask any other questions you want. Look forward to meeting you later this year.

Gary

Thank you very much Gary[/QUOTE]

4. SurfinUSA

SurfinUSA DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Basically it's not any cheaper here in PI. I've met one guy from Calif who refuses to look at any of the other 47 US states to live in BUT is seriously considering moving to PI with his Filipina wife because of US health insurance costs.

That's nuts.

With the internet there's plenty of ways to research the cost of living in other parts of the US.

This fellow has a skill he could use to muster the monthly health costs in the US and still be retired.

Another guy who's been here almost 7yrs is concerned about being over invested in PI. He says Thailand has changed expat laws, and Thailand is not favored anymore.

5. Timn8ter

Timn8ter DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    What's not cheaper? According to the info Gary posted above, the two of them live on less than US$1000 a month.

6. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,854 / 1,022
    Blood Type:
    A+
    you wrote,Basically it's not any cheaper here in PI. you gotta be kidding .
    I know in fact westen europe a lot more expensive in every direction, than PI
    USA must be more expensive than PI

7. jimeve

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,854 / 1,022
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Tim you beat me to it :D

8. TUYOM

TUYOM DI Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 4
    can you live in the US for $1000 with two helpers?anywhere?

9. pickled_newt

pickled_newt DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +17 / 12
    Why is not any cheaper in the PI ?

Only example i could think of is you can eat out the cheapest price of a pub meal like of scampi with chips and salads about £6,excluding drinks for one person here in Southend.That price alone if you eat at chinloong or Jo's chicken can feed a family of four.In north of scotland like the Aveirmore area ,you can barely find a descent pub meal for less than £10 and excluding drinks .You are more likely to spend £15-17 for just a pub meal one person , drinks are an added cost that would close in to £20 or more for one person ,then multiply the price with with the exchange rate of about 93 pesos for a pound .You can feed a family and invite extended family even additional few neighbors to join in:Dlols and have relatively nice dinner in a restaurant with that price in dumaguete.lols:D

10. jimeve

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,854 / 1,022
    Blood Type:
    A+
    You can't even rent a small 2 bedroom house in a bad district without any helpers, in Manchester,UK for £ 500 or $ 1000

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.