Dumaguete Info Search

Retirement Visa SRRV help for American

Discussion in 'Passports and Visas' started by patty, Feb 7, 2013.

1. patty

patty DI Forum Adept Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +254 / 18
    Any input from any American that has done the SRRV? Looking into it and need help on how to get the police clearance from USA while living in PI. Thanks

2. hawk263

hawk263 DI Forum Adept Blood Donor Veteran Army

Retired
    Ratings:
    +488 / 81
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I did it in UK whilst working in Oman / living in PI. General method is probably similar.
    On the internet, check out 'police clearance''or something similar. Download an application form.
    Send application, notarized copy of passport and any other supporting docs required.
    Once granted, the police clearance will need to be notarized by the PH embassy in USA. (Apostille)
    In UK there are companies that will do this for you (for a price). Have your clearance sent to one of these companies.
    The company can then courier the notarized clearance back to you.
    It proved to be a pretty expensive process as I had to use courier services for all document transfers.

Good luck.

3. redhorse

redhorse DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +269 / 62
    For US citizens or former residents, the document preferred by Philippine authorities seems to be the "Identification Record Request/Criminal Background Check" which can be requested from the FBI. I've put a couple of links below, but basically the process is like hawk263 described, and include getting your fingerprints taken in the Philippines, submitting fingerprints, application and payment to the FBI, then having the document authenticated at a Philippine consulate abroad.

Just a couple of my own thoughts:
    - as hawk said, send everything by a trackable courier
    - if possible, I'd suggest coordinating with a friend or relative in the US who can perhaps receive the doc from the FBI, bring to Philippine consulate and send to you.
    - although no place on the FBI form, make sure to place a note with your application that the request is for use in the Philippines and you need the FBI to sign/seal it. (this is described in the State dept. link below)
    - there's a SECOND level of authentication that the US govt. can provide. This involves sending an FBI signed/sealed doc to the US Dept. of State to have them do an "Apostille". I am not 100% sure, but I don't think you need this step, as you are having the Philippines consulate do this. Just pointing this out so no confusion as it's mentioned in the State Dept. link

This link has an overview:
    US State Dept - Criminal Record Checks

This is the direct FBI link, has all the forms you need:
    Submitting an Identification Record Request to the FBI

EDIT - BTW, just for clarification, my research on this was more for the 13a visa, but the process also applicable for the SRRV. Re the 13a, I've been reading reports that Philippines BI is now requiring a background check from your home country even if applying from within the Philippines. This actually makes sense but seems to be a new requirement?