Dumaguete Info Search

Tourist Visa State Department says it is now requiring social media info from 'most' visa applicants

Discussion in 'Passports and Visas' started by danbandanna, Jun 3, 2019.

1. danbandanna

danbandanna DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +1,482 / 300
    Blood Type:
    A+
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    And if your account is completely private are you going to get a friend request from big brother? I highly doubt that. Can't use something you can't see against me. Problem solved.

3. Dr. Shiva

Dr. Shiva DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +480 / 165
    Blood Type:
    O-
    And what is with people not having or using any social media? No more entry to US because of lack of any social media accounts?

4. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Read the article and you will see clearly what/who it is really intended for.

5. Philpots

Philpots DI Senior Member Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +801 / 170
    Blood Type:
    A-
    I thought this was going to be a load of codswallop but ........... A quote from a recent piece from Time ..................
    The new rules apply to virtually all applicants for immigrant and nonimmigrant visas. When it filed its initial notice to make the change, the department estimated it would affect 710,000 immigrant visa applicants and 14 million nonimmigrant visa applicants, including those who want to come to the U.S. for business or education.

The new visa application forms list a number of social media platforms and require the applicant to provide any account names they may have had on them over the previous five years. They also give applicants the option to volunteer information about social media accounts on platforms not listed on the form.

In addition to their social media histories, visa applicants are now asked for five years of previously used telephone numbers, email addresses, international travel and deportation status, as well as whether any family members have been involved in terrorist activities.

Only applicants for certain diplomatic and official visa
    codswallop but .....................

6. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    No worries - as we 'oldies' pass on we will be replaced by a generation BORN with social media encoded within their genes (that is how evolution works!). :smile:

P.S. Anyone with a Degree in Genetics who decided to pick me upon this, I am joking OF COURSE!

• Funny Funny x 3
  7. Edward K

Edward K DI Senior Member Veteran Navy

Ratings:
    +995 / 82
    I'm thinking that another reason to collect it, is if you DO NOT disclose something and the gummint wants to throw your bottom (cute auto-correct, my original word was "a**) outta the US sometime in the future, they can claim "Lying on a gummint form."

The new "big brother" will get you one way or another. Soooo glad i'm 75, 15 more if i'm lucky, and since both my parents died when they were in their 50's, i'm on borrowed time as it is, or as my friends say, "too evil to die..."