Dumaguete Info Search

Other Stray dogs in Dumaguete

Discussion in 'Surrounding Areas' started by Sergei, Nov 7, 2019.

1. Sergei

Sergei DI New Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Hi all,
    I read the topic:
    https://dumagueteinfo.com/board/threads/mass-poisoning-of-stray-or-lost-dogs-in-bacong.47835/
    I wanted to add a comment but the topic closed. So, I start a new topic to ask a question that excites me:
    Stray dogs are a big problem in Russia too.
    Nobody cleans these dogs.
    The children play in the grass in which stray dogs pooped and become infected with diseases.
    Stray dogs attack passers-by.
    They are of no use and only harm.
    Despite the fact that our government allocates money to fight stray dogs, but this money is not enough.
    There are fools who feed stray dogs, but, thank God, this is not legal and such a person can be turned over to the police.
    The neighbors and I raised money, caught the stray dogs and castrated them. After castration, dogs cease to be aggressive and, of course, cannot reproduce.
    If you are not friendly with your neighbors, then the only way I know to fight dogs is with a stun gun. Stray dogs are very afraid of the sound of a stun gun and run away.

Please tell me, is it really that stray dogs - such an actual problem? For example, if I take my dog and go with her to the nearest store, will stray dogs attack me with high probability?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Kilam63

Kilam63 DI Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Air Force

Retired
    Ratings:
    +135 / 3
    Blood Type:
    A+
    It is not only the strays but the owners who let their dogs run wild even though there is a law which prohibits dog owners from allowing them to do this (RA8485 THE ANIMAL WELFARE ACT). While walking our dog I carry a rattan stick to drive roaming dogs away. On more than one instance other dogs tried to attack our dog so it is probably not a good idea to walk your dog without some sort of protection.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Liverpool fan

Liverpool fan DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,094 / 279
    Blood Type:
    O+
    As I see it, the problem with stray dogs here is created by human beings, I know many don't agree with me, but I see these dogs as innocent. If a dog is aggressive or has rabies it needs to be killed immediately but in a human way, not with poison where it suffers a painful death. My gf is an animal lover, and I'm afraid to say it, but she feeds the street dogs, at the same time all of them are neutered, most of them for free and I paid for some of them. She gets neighbors to castrate their dogs to. I give up when it comes to the point where you must learn the locals keep your dogs inside your property and that not in a short line where the dog is barking 24/7. It's have been like that, for I don't know how long time. In my opinion, enforce the laws and start giving fines will help on the problem, just see on the long line in LTO and smoke test centers after the traffic laws are enforced or at least there are regular checkpoints. The only time my dog been attacked is by dogs with owners who let their dogs roam around free, I'm not afraid of dogs, I trained dogs most of my life but I'm not immune to dog attacks lol, the most dog is afraid of a stick and is that not enough tear gas would clear the problem it's legal and cheap. I see also people have stupid behavior to street dogs, first if you ignore the dogs most of them also ignore you. There was a foreigner who passes by where I live, he has his pockets full of stones and start throwing the stones after the dogs from a distance, haven't seen him after I told him to leave the dogs alone or f**k of, I forget the street dogs get rabies shot same time my gf get them neutred

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. OP
    OP
    Sergei

Sergei DI New Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Maybe someone knows the regions in Dumaguete where there are no stray dogs? Or regions where these stray dogs are few? I would very much like to move to a quiet town where summer is all year round, but stray dogs scare me very much. I myself know how big this problem is and what it is like to walk with a dog and every second to be afraid that a stray of dogs can attack you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Crystalhead

Crystalhead ADMIN Admin ★ Forum Moderator ★ ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ ★★ Forum Sponsor ★★ ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired
    Ratings:
    +1,977 / 1,087
    Rabies continue to be a public health problem in the Philippines. The country is one of the top 10 countries with rabies problem. It is responsible for the deaths of 200 to 300 Filipinos per year and recently a Foreigner . No need to debate the poisoning of such because that would not occur if there were no strays. Strays and dogs off leash are the primary problem. Secondary problem is no one in the position to enforce stray dog laws "gives a ruddy crap"

This topic is like beating a dead horse.

Having said that, Rye88 did lock similar thread before proper reward.

2 points for the Ped:
    5 points for the Mutt:

6. Liverpool fan

Liverpool fan DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,094 / 279
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I guess stray dogs in Russia and the Philippines have different behavior, my experience with stray dogs in the Philippines, they bark but 99% of them do not attack, they are scared of human beings, many Filipinos through stones after them, they are in a bad conditions (weak with no power/starving) scared and not use to friendly people in general. Strays carry diseases (no vaccination) and are dangerous in the traffic and sorry to say it will be hard to find an area without stray dogs and dogs with owner witch roam around free, some areas are worse than others. It's easy to let the anger go beyond the dogs, it's because people don't understand it's human beings who create the problem, ooohhh yeah some foreigner say, not me who create the problem, yes your right sir, go home if you don't understand the problems of the third world or don't want to contribute to a solution on them, my 2 cents

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Crystalhead

Crystalhead ADMIN Admin ★ Forum Moderator ★ ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ ★★ Forum Sponsor ★★ ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired
    Ratings:
    +1,977 / 1,087

In short "no" but have your dog on a short leash and give a loud "PSTTTTT" to any dogs you see freely roaming and giving you and yours too much attention as in close approach proximity.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Outcast

Outcast DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +335 / 128
    For teh most part the strays here are not aggressive, they are scared shitless. those that act like they might be aggressive are often beaten to death with sticks, whether they actually ever atacked anhyone or not. just bend over and act like you are picking up a stone and most will hightail it. yes, they are a problem. yes, the problem is caused by humans. no, poisoning is not the answer.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,588 / 2,888
    @Liverpool fan: People who see the good in other people are themselves good people and those who see the good in (and care for) other animals are VERY special people.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    As mentioned in the previous thread the dogs over the road from me were poisoned some months back. The woman who owned them recently bought two new puppies and now has them in the from yard in a 1mx1m square cage with tin roof,the screech all day for food and water. She should be locked in the same cage.
    As for rabies there is a free injection if wanted every year and free castration but locals are just too lazy and dont care.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1