Dumaguete Info Search

Stress, other mental health issues.

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by Notmyrealname, Oct 16, 2021.

1. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,591 / 2,888
    Many have been affected by stress to one degree or another and some have asked for help here on the Forum.

The Philippines is very poor at dealing with mental health as they seem, in most cases, just not to get it. There are obvious reasons for that but too many people end up killing themselves when some help could have avoided that. The repercussions of that action on the family can be huge and grief is then mixed with enhanced poverty.

So I was very pleased today to read at https://www.pna.gov.ph/articles/1156849

" In celebration of National Mental Health Week, the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) and the Philippines Department of Health (DOH) launched Lusog-Isip -- the country’s first mobile application for mental health and self-care. [I was particularly pleased to see this was a joint effort with the US and not just emanating from the Philippines].

Lusog-Isip aims to expand access to culturally adapted, evidence-based tools and interventions on mental health.

Developed by USAID and DOH in response to the growing need for mental healthcare during the coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) pandemic, the app was soft-launched Friday (Oct. 15) during the 4th Public Health Convention on Mental Health.

It will be available for both Android and iOS devices through the Google Playstore and Apple App Store.

“We hope that Lusog-Isip will provide access to self-help tools and materials for improving clients’ mental health, and address substance use -- one of USAID’s key priorities,” said USAID Philippines Office of Health Director Michelle Lang-Alli.

The app screens individuals to get a better sense of their overall well-being and how they usually cope with stress before recommending ways they can help themselves through workbooks, exercises, audio guides, journaling, mood tracking, or even just simple self-care reminders.

It also provides a list of mental health and psychosocial support service providers online or nearby. USAID is committed to supporting the promotion of this mobile app in schools, workplaces, and communities.

“This app is a timely innovation, and we thank our partners at USAID for making this a reality. As the Department of Health and our health workers strive towards coping and living with this pandemic, we must find ways to care for the mental well-being of our fellow Filipinos who continue to suffer because of this current circumstance,” said Frances Prescilla Cuevas, Chief Health Program Officer of the DOH Mental Health Division. (PR) "

I hope this is of use to members and perhaps can be passed on to Filipinos who need help - I have given some help to two and I know from talking to them that they have relatives and friends with mental health issues.

When there is nothing else then helping yourself can be a positive move and providing support to achieve that is a great step forward for mental health in the Philippines.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    The US can't even provide adequate health care for their own citizens, and you can completely forget about mental health services. Number one in school shootings and serial killers. If there isn't profit there is no reasonable care provided. The US is one of the last countries any developing nation should be looking to partner with.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. OP
    OP
    Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,591 / 2,888
    Can't argue with that as I have never been there - but the UK is the same (talking the talk but not walking the walk).