Dumaguete Info Search

Stroke - Lessons Learnrd

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by PatO, Jan 24, 2014.

1. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,539 / 1,016
    I am making this disclosure hoping it may help others. I had a stroke in September. I got the stroke because I was stupid. I thought because I don’t smoke, drink red wine instead of beer, cut the fat off the meat I eat, go to the gym 4-5 times a week, and have very little stress that I am healthy. Absolutely not! I had not been to see a doctor for 7+ years, I stopped taking cholesterol medication for a hereditary problem about a year and a half ago - I had been taking it for 15 years, and most of all I ignored the warning signs that I was experiencing. I also stopped paying attention to what I was eating. When I was admitted to Siliman Hospital on Sept. 30 my blood pressure was 200/100 and my cholesterol level well over 300.
    My stroke impacted the section of the brain that controls balance, movement, and control, and also causes numbness and tingling in my left (good) arm and leg and partial temporary paralysis in my right (affected) leg and arm. I am right handed.
    When something catastrophic like this occurs you need lots of help. Realize you cannot walk, drive, shower, use the CR, all without help. My vision in my right eye was affected so I could not walk. Basically, you are confined to a wheel chair and the ones they sell here are small and cannot last more than a couple of months. u also need an expensive therapist to come to you home 3 times a week and pay for expensive meds.
    Given I hate being in a wheel chair so much I therapy on my own daily and can now walk with a cane if someone is balancing me. I will start back at the gym Monday with a trainer and my helper. Still a long uphill road to be able to walk and use my right arm but I will get there or die trying.
    lessons learned = this really sucks, don’t let it happen to you.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,209 / 1,086
    How Lucky I was!

Pat my Friend, as one stroke Survivor to another, I admire your courage here.
    Having seen you and had our chat so very recently, I know and told you and Crislyn How, so Very Lucky I was with mine. My heart and thoughts go out to you on this. Corazon and I, both, wish you well and a speedy recovery from this.

You know where we are, if there is anything we can Do.

True friends are hard to find :wink:

JP (as always, Thinking aloud)

3. OP
    OP
    PatO

Ratings:
    +4,539 / 1,016
    CORRECTION:My vision was affected so I could not read or write

4. Broadside

Broadside DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +16 / 1
    Pat, when I came to see you in Silliman a few hours after you had been admitted, I can say now that you looked in a terrible state. I know you wouldn't win prizes for being good looking, with a face that only a mother could love, but on that night you could have been a convincing double for Freddie Kruger. :rolleyes:

I could feel and understand your frustration, having been so active and independent one minute, and the next being totally reliant on others. The basic things that are taken for granted, like cutting food, brushing teeth and having a pee, suddenly became major tasks. Each day I saw you after that, there was an improvement, however small, and once your blood pressure had been brought down and your cholesterol brought under control, you were able to leave hospital a lot sooner than anyone could have imagined, which is testimony to your bodys' constitution. Whenever I have seen you since then, the progress keeps happening. Your speech has got better, your eyesight is improving, and you've made yourself get mobile under your own steam instead of being wheeled everywhere. We know it will be a long haul, but every long journey starts with a small step. It's good to see you on the mend and slowly getting back into the swing of things. Keep going Marine, you've got the will and determination to see it through.

Semper Fi.

5. Brian Oinks

Brian Oinks That's Mr. Pig to you Boy! :) Highly Rated Poster

Negros Oriental - Near to Zamboanguita ;)
    Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I hope you make a speedy recovery mate, I can relate with having similar problems recovering from my accident which left me with my right hand paralysed. It took me more than two years before I could pick up a knife with out dropping it, and another year or two before I could cut my own food or even wipe my own @ss properly. As a Man it hits you hard to feel helpless, which is one of the reasons I still use my crutches 29 years on instead of using a Wheelchair, as I feel it will be the beginning of the end once I place my butt into one of those. It sounds like you were very lucky, and lucky you attended the Gym, it no doubt helped you more than had you not been as fit as you were. It sounds like you have a good band of guys willing to help you, do not be stubborn and push their offers of help aside, you are lucky to have good mates willing to help. Here's to a speedy recovery and keeping your Meds in check :wink:

6. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,856 / 1,026
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Pat, hoping you have a full and speedy recovery. C'mon soldier you can do it.

7. The Dane

The Dane DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    I hope you have a speedy and full recovery...

Sounds like hell to go through :-(

8. OP
    OP
    PatO

Ratings:
    +4,539 / 1,016
    Thank you, and thank you for starting up and your leadership on the Forum. Please holler the next time you are going to Mike’s Resort.

9. john boy

john boy DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,155 / 230
    May I add my good wishes for a speedy recovery too, Pat.
    The forum has been quiet without you!
    God Bless......JB

10. brian ausie

brian ausie DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +32 / 2
    Sorry to hear that Pato, get well soon, once we get over 40 we all are all susceptible to strokes & heart attacks, I think we will see more of us expats exercising around town with your warning and unfortunate experience.