Dumaguete Info Search

Strong Republic Nautical Highway

Discussion in 'Other Destinations in the Philippines' started by Dong, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Dong

Dong DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Has anyone drove it?

Me and the wife are planning to take a long drive for the next couple of weeks from Manila all the way to GenSan.

We're not sure what to expect, and welcome any advice or shared past experiences:smile:

2. Manzanita

Manzanita DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    Sounds epic! Have fun!

3. andiflip

andiflip DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +491 / 173
    Dong, I've been down it both ways from Manila to Mindanao a few times,, PM me if you want some info

4. SteveB

SteveB DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    Hi Andiflip, I am also planning to drive from Manila to Legaspi, down through Samar and across Leyte to Ormoc in April. It would be nice if you could post some of your experience about the hiway, like road conditions, any problems you ran into, etc. Thanks.

5. SteveB

SteveB DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    I have been doing some research on the internet about the trip from Manila as far as the Matnog ferry and this is the information I have gathered (all from private parties so I cannot vouch for the accuracy of the info but it might help you). The general census seems to be to leave Manila early in the morning, between 3 and 4 am. This will enable you to beat the traffic on EDSA and SLEX (South Luzon Expressway). Do not take the Calamba City exit off SLEX. It appears you must take the Batangas exit. There should be a sign for San Pablo City. The rest seems pretty straight forward. However, one area of concern on the road trip appears to be "bitukang manok", a twisty road area in Atimonan, Quezon, not for the weak of heart. The next turn off is in the Calauag area, where you veer right towards Tagkawayan and on to Naga. Take the diversion route around Naga City. From there, clear sailing through Sorsogon, Legaspi, and to the ferry at Matnog (ferry every 2 1/2 hours, 24 hours a day). I figure about 10 hours to the ferry to Manila, barring traffic problemsThe longest waiting time is usually not more than 3 hours to get a crossing. There are many fixers at the ferry terminal trying to help you but getting your own ticket is apparently very easy (three different offices). I haven't looked any further since I will simply be driving down to the San Juanico Bridge then through Leyte to Ormoc and crossing to Cebu City and finally on to Dumaguete. Hope this helps. I will write my comments when I get home around April 20th.

6. Rodneyemr

Rodneyemr DI Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    Steve B, I am leaving on April 20 do do the same trip you will have just completed. I would really appreciate you posting some do's and dont's based on your experience. Thanks

7. andiflip

andiflip DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +491 / 173
    Steve, the fastest and easiest way is down to Batangas port, take the RO-RO to Calapan, drive down to Roxas and get on the next boat to Caticlan (Boracay) then drive down to Dumangas Port near Iloilo, Ferry across to Bacolod and then drive to Dumaguete via Kabankalan and Mabinay and Bais.. Are you driving a car or a bike???? The ferry at Matnog to Allen is expensive and the road is real bad before you get into Calbayog. Also the ferry from Ormoc to Cebu is a long trip and expensive also..

Rodneyemr, where are you leaving from Manila or going that way from Dumaguete??

8. SteveB

SteveB DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    Thanks Andiflip. I thought about going down through Batangas but then thought the other route may be more interesting. I drove from Dumaguete to Caticlan and back once before. The only real problem I had was the long wait in Dumangas due to the number of sugar cane trucks coming across. I will consider your advice, check the ferry prices and decide from there. Thanks again.

9. SteveB

SteveB DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    Following Andiflip's recommendations, I decided to check a bit more into ferry costs. by the way, I just noticed that Superferry is now completely under the umbrella of "2Go Travel", also incorporating Negros Navigation and Cebu Ferries, virtually eliminating competition on many routes. On the Legaspi route, (with wife and child in a small car) I can expect to pay about P1300 at the Matnog ferry, about P12,000 from Ormoc to Cebu and another P1000+ with Maayo shipping across to Amlan. I would count on spending P3000 to P4000 for gasoline and a couple nights in hotels (P2000) for a total of about P20,000. If I take the Mindoro - Panay Bacolod route, I can count about P8500 for the three ferry trips with Montenegro Lines, probably 2 nights in hotel, P2000 due to the long lines at the ferry in Dumangas (sugar cane trucks), and maybe P2500 for gas; total of about P13,000. That leaves Superferry from Manila directly to Dumaguete, P18,000 for the ferry,sleeping on a cot in steerage.

I guess I will make my decision at the last minute but I will probably save the Legaspi trip for another time, and take my scooter through Leyte, Samar, Legaspi, Naga on to Batangas and back home through Puerto Galera, Roxas, Caticlan (Boracay), Ilo Ilo, Bacolod, Mabinay and home to Dumaguete.

10. KTM

KTM DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +204 / 69
    Think when we went through at night, on 'Route 88', newly cemented I seem to remember.(Oct 2010)