Dumaguete Info Search

Suzuki Multicab questions

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by 123lukie, Jan 22, 2011.

1. 123lukie

123lukie DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hello ya'll I have been here in Duma for about a year now and looking at getting one of them little Zuki's I have been seeing so many of. I figure they have to be cheap to work on and parts easy to come by. I was just curious about the gas milage, and also if you do own one how do you like it. Have you had many issues with it. Haha I think I heard they are like 3cy? so they can't be all that bad with gas but I just was curios to know your thoughts. Thanks
    123Lukie

2. tunji oluwajuyemi

tunji oluwajuyemi DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +47 / 0
    there was a whole thread of people comments a week ago here,you should scroll back to read those,,It said that if you get a properly reassembled one,you should have a very reliable vehicle that last long and take your abuse with little back talk...I just started driving one this week and i started by helping the owners diagnose why it no start,it sounded like spark plugs or carbuator so we cleaned 3 spark plugs from 3 cylinders and no start but back fire was quenched so i got down to spy the distributer cap and found the carburator nearby flowing gas to the floor like i flow p*ss...So no tools to the carbuator we called mechanic and he scrubbed the gunk out of it to let the gas flood gate close properly and we get perfect start now even better than before,,It cost 150 peso to recondition the carburator that was like 4 dollars for me.and another 40 peso to replace a bulb and some bolts related to the carburator, My first week with one and i'm ready to ship my tools over from US soon and start doing all the work myself but then i fear it may be more expensive for me to ship them than to pay mechanic here to do it,,Its gotta be a good vehicle considering cheap repairs..I work on my own generator for many surface problems and those skills worked well in restoring the 660 cc 12 valve 3 cylinder 4x4 suzuki i now drive,,its the landlords old car and they gave up on it and bought new one,they dont know cars well so i have the keys and do the repairs myself or diagnose what i can and pay mechanic to do the rest..

3. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    Well Lukie, multicabs come in many configurations to suit many different applications. Front engine, rear engine, 2WD, 4WD, automatic hubs, lockout hubs, 4 Speed, 5 speed, automatic, 6 valve, 9 valve, and 12 valve, and then there are the different body configurations.

They are shipped in as parts from Japan wrecking yards, reassembled and converted from right hand drive to left hand drive here. They are only going to be as good as the Filipino shop that put them back together. Some shops do a good job, others just do what it takes to make it run, drive, and be shiny. Some do not even change the engine oil that it had sitting in the japan wrecking yard, just make it run and look good enough to sell. Therefore, everyone's experience will vary some based on that.

The biggest mistake I see many make is buying the wrong configuration for their purpose. If you want something to run around town in or take the family to the beach, the rear engine 2WD will suit you fine. If you want to haul lumber and 20 bags of pig feed to your farm up the mountain, your best bet is the 4 speed 4WD.

Mileage also will vary considerably depending on configuration. A 2WD 5 speed will get much better mileage than the 4WD automatic, etc. Tire size is also a huge factor. Many are not properly tuned, and this effects mileage drastically. A properly tuned 4wd with 13" tires should get 12+ KPL, whilst a properly tuned 2WD 5 spd with the same size tire should get upwards of 16 KPL.

To put it simply, there are just too many factors to give you a good answer! They can be a very great rig and give years of rugged service with excellent mileage, or a pile of crap that leaks raw gas out the tailpipe and spends more time broke down than on the road.

Your mileage may vary!

Larry

4. ronv8917

ronv8917 DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Ok, remember that I'm still (almost) a new guy here.
    Are you saying that all of them here were used in Japan and there is no "new" ones?
    And that they all are assembled here? And that they are assembled by various local people?
    All of this I did not know.
    They are everywhere here and the ones I see for sale have good prices on them.
    I really like the looks of them and was thinking of one for myself.

5. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0

Ahhh, yes, you are catching on. In Japan vehicles cost more to register after 6 years than they are worth, so they wind up in the wrecking yards. Savvy businessmen buy them up for almost nothing, cut them into pieces, and ship them to the Philippines as parts where they are welded back together/re-assembled. (Literally)

You see, there is very high customs duty on new vehicles, but there is no customs duty on USED PARTS!

I think you can connect the dots from there.

Larry

6. john boy

john boy DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,155 / 230
    Lukie try finding the thread Multicabs :wink:

You will find some answers there....JB

7. ronv8917

ronv8917 DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    I knew about the customs duty from my Harley. It had a book value of $10k and they wanted $15k duty fee plus shipping. I would have had +/- $28k in a $10k Harley. I sold it there.
    But all you said about multicabs is new to me.
    Thanks........good info

8. Manzanita

Manzanita DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    I had one of these little trucks for a while. It was great for around town. I wouldn't want to go on really long trips in one. Be sure and get the 12 valver, the others couldn't pull a booger.
    If you do decide to buy one, check with Bal at the Vintage Hotel. He's a great guy and the easyrides he sells are upper-scale condition.

9. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0

Actually there is no power difference between the F5B 6 valve and the F6A 12 valve, but there is a little difference in the RPM they develop the power. The F5A 6 valve on the other hand is noticeably less powerful than the other two.

I've also had some positive dealings with Bal.

Larry

10. firefly

firefly DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 1
    Actually this multicabs are imported as "old scrap" and they are not made new in Japan for around 10 years now.
    About availability of spareparts (new) you hardly find a better brand in the Philippines.