Dumaguete Info Search

Balikbayan Visa Switching to Tourist Visa

Discussion in 'Passports and Visas' started by Notmyrealname, Aug 2, 2017.

1. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    Is anyone, through personal experience, able to tell me what does getting a Tourist Visa Waiver (of 30 days) entail if one is already in the country on a BB privilege? I assume one has to visit a BI office, but what documents are required and how long does it take. I assume on entry to The Philippines it is just stamped into a passport on arrival and that is it but already being inside the country may be different.

2. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    If you are intending staying over the year allowed on a BB you will need to extend as a normal 9a Tourist, the BB stamp is available ONLY from your Entry into the country This Trip, I might add that should you leave the country in that BB year you will lose the time left on it, it is a once only privilege per visit, Hope this helps answer your Question

• Like Like x 1
  3. OP
    OP
    Notmyrealname

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    Thanks for your speedy reply. I was really asking if anyone had converted from a BB Visa to the 9a "normal Tourist Visa" from within The Philippines so they can inform me what it entails (documentation, etc).

4. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    I thought I had, The BB is not a Visa at all, it is a privilege Stamp issued by BI on behalf of the Tourist board, You can convert to a 9a from a BB But you can't work, you can However apply for a 9g work permit but you have to do this through an Employer. (That is to say you have to have a Job offer first) Work permits are not the property of an individual but the Company that applies for it. It gets messy when you try and work around things my friend. Best way is get married and get a 13a permanent Residence Visa and then you can work.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    Some that I have talked to tell me its a pain in the butt and some say its as simple as walking into the BI office and handing over your passport and asking for an extension as a tourist. Your mileage will vary depending on the BI office and the "mood of the day" so just pop in and ask them before your BB expires. I also know some who waited until AFTER the BB expired and went in to convert. THAT was a problem, usually involving paying someone for their "assistance"

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. AlwaysRt

AlwaysRt DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Blood Donor Veteran Air Force Marines

Ratings:
    +1,329 / 391
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I think of it as a 'normal tourist' get a free 30 days, then pays for extensions (up to an additional 35 months) after that. And a 'Balikbayan Tourist' gets a free 360 days, then pays for extensions (up to an additional 24 months) after that.

As far as working here the easiest option is 13a, followed by SRRV (requires an extra step). They allow work in general while a work visa is job specific.

7. OP
    OP
    Notmyrealname

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    Thanks but I don't work, don't want to work and never mentioned anything about work. :smile:

I think you may be confusing my posting with that of 'robinkath' on the same thread. But it is okay my friend, I know the rum is cheap here (not meant as an insult :smile: )

• Funny Funny x 1
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
  8. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,856 / 1,026
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Go to the BoI in Dumaguete before Your BB runs out and apply for a 59 day extension.

• Like Like x 1
  9. OP
    OP
    Notmyrealname

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    Any idea what is involved in doing this, especially paperwork to prepare in advance?

10. AlwaysRt

AlwaysRt DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Blood Donor Veteran Air Force Marines

Ratings:
    +1,329 / 391
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Bring your passport and pesos, fill out application while waiting your turn. It really is very simple.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1