Dumaguete Info Search

Taiwan, Philippines warn of tainted sports drink that shrinks testicles

Discussion in '☋ General Chat ☋' started by Manzanita, Jun 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Manzanita

Manzanita DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    Sounded pretty important, maybe some folks might wisely want to skip on this garbage for their kids....

MANILA (AFP) – Taiwan and the Philippines have warned some sport drinks may have been contaminated with a chemical that could cause infertility and block boys' sex organ development, officials said Tuesday.

The Philippine Food and Drug Administration is monitoring some imported Taiwanese sport drinks, fruit juices and soft drinks that Taipei said may contain excessive amounts of DEHP, the agency's spokeswoman Jesusa Joyce Cirunay said.

Taiwan earlier this month issued a major recall of products, including more than 460,000 bottles of sports drinks and fruit juice, over fears they contained the chemical widely used in manufacturing PVC products.

Taipei warned Manila last week that DEHP could have been illegally added to food products that were exported to the Philippines, Cirunay told AFP.

"Our government has asked Taiwan for a list, and we are tracking these products," she added.

Cirunay did not name the brands on the list, saying no traces of DEHP contamination have been found and there have been no reports of people falling ill in the Philippines.

While low doses are generally safe, high doses or prolonged exposure to DEHP could have harmful effects, such as retarding the development of boys' testes, she added.

[​IMG]

"Children are especially prone to harmful effects of high doses of DEHP, or to repeated exposure which can lead to testicular effects, fertility problems, and toxicity to kidneys," the government regulator said in a health advisory.

Hong Kong Tuesday banned two Taiwanese drinks after tests showed they were tainted with excessive amounts of DEHP.

Hong Kong health officials said six samples from different batches of the Speed sports drink and Speed lemon flavour sports drink, both manufactured by a same company in Taiwan, were found to be laced with DEHP.

Taiwanese authorities have arrested the owner of a company that used DEHP rather than more expensive palm oil in products supplied to dozens of local drinks makers. He faces up to six months in jail.

Taiwan, Philippines warn of tainted sports drink that shrinks testicles | The Raw Story

2. Knowdafish

Knowdafish DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    "Hong Kong Tuesday banned two Taiwanese drinks after tests showed they were tainted with excessive amounts of DEHP."

Why is there ANY at all added??? :eek:

3. fallenviking

fallenviking Ring Ring. Who's calling?

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Shrinking testes--?

:D What is the brand of those sports drinks? Where can I buy them?

Attached Files:

4. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,209 / 1,086
    Where else!

:eek: Lee Plaza Food hall!:rolleyes:

5. Kojak

Kojak DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +47 / 2
    Interesting.....Considering the relationship between China (Hong Kong) and Taiwan..... I wonder if there is more going on here than the obvious.....especially in that the Philippines has not found any excess DEHP.....

But considering I would rather be safe than sorry....ESPECIALLY when it comes to the kids.... I'll stick with coke

6. Kojak

Kojak DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +47 / 2
    Another thought...... They may pull these products from major stores....??? but there is an underground market here......, when products are taken off the shelves for whatever reason they end up in this underground market and are sold at cheap prices to Sari Sari stores...... warn your children to be careful when buying from Sari Sari stores.... especially off name brands and imported stuff from China..... I have gotten deathly ill three times eating processed food from China...... I know; I know....you would have learned the first time.....but I am hard headed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.