Dumaguete Info Search

Taking motorbike on a ferry

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by ex231, Dec 19, 2013.

1. ex231

ex231 DI Member

Ratings:
    +124 / 28
    I took my scooter to Siqiujor last time and plan to again next month. I took a regular ferry over and a ro ro back. I thought the whole payment process(es) was a PITA as I had to make 4 or 5 separate payments .. one to get in the gate at Duma, one at the ticket window, one for the port fee, one for some Coast Guard something and one for the dock monkeys to load my scooter. I won't even get into the porters in Duma that were on me like jackals. Is there a better or more streamlined way to take a bike over or is what I had to do as good as it gets?

2. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    Roro both ways is the easiest way, unless it flies or floats!

:wink:

Larry

3. OP
    OP
    ex231

ex231 DI Member

Ratings:
    +124 / 28
    I took the Roro back Larry and it wasn't really much easier .. Paid the fare then was sent up the road a 1/4 mile to the Coast Guard to "inspect" (all they inspected was the pesos they collected) back to the ticket window for port charges and then another 65p "loading fee" to get through the gate to "wait for the signal" .. even with all that it was better than riding the rental junk we had the first time over.

4. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    My point exactly, it doesn't get any easier than that!

It's more fun in the Philippines.

Larry

5. OP
    OP
    ex231

ex231 DI Member

Ratings:
    +124 / 28
    While my travel mate and I were "waiting for the signal" we pondered the pure folly of being able to pay all of the fees at the same window at the same time .. crazy talk I know

6. denpet

denpet DI Senior Member Highly Rated Poster Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Ratings:
    +351 / 96
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Just require o.r. for everything you pay. If they can't provide one, they are not allowed to collect anything. Bring copies of your latest (=valid) o.r. and c.r for your bike. Some places, not all (not talking Siquijor specifically but ro-ro in general), require coast guard clearance. It usually doesn't cost anything, or at least just a small amount. I didn't pay when I went from Larena to Oslob (don't think that route exists anymore though).

7. jim787

jim787 DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +434 / 38
    Rent a bike for P200 on the other side. Left off the pier at Siquijor.

8. OP
    OP
    ex231

ex231 DI Member

Ratings:
    +124 / 28
    We rented bikes the first time .. 400p per day and all 3 bikes had worn out fork bushings or bad front wheel bearings or both. One of the bikes had 2 flats in the first km and we exchanged it. I'd rather go through the hassle of taking mine over there than doing that again.

9. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    We rent for P200 also, and where we go we usually get a bike in decent shape. Been a couple of years now though...

Larry

10. OP
    OP
    ex231

ex231 DI Member

Ratings:
    +124 / 28
    Where did you get them Larry? I'm not positive but I think we will be going to Larena because as I understand it G&L doesn't run to Siqiujor on Saturdays due to religious reasons.