Dumaguete Info Search

Home & Garden termite lesson learned.

Discussion in 'Businesses - Services - Products' started by kelpguy, Jan 27, 2018.

1. kelpguy

kelpguy DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +673 / 92
    bamboo furniture
    i purchased a fresh off the assembly line bamboo bed about 5 months ago and within a month, i was sweeping up dust from under the bed. i let it go, figuring the insects would take what they needed and move on but they are still taking and now, leaving me about a liter of dust every week.
    th e beds in the shop waiting for me to get an insecticide and i'm sleeping on the floor.

lesson is...
    make sure ur furniture builder is using old bamboo for your projects

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    lesson in plywood.
    about 5 years ago, i had two custom varnished plywood shelf units made; 3'4'' sides, tops and bottoms, 1/4'' marine plywood for the back.
    in about a year after purchase, i started noticing piles of sand like wood granules from both the 3/4 and the 1/4'' material.

i bought ''wood saver'' and treated the plywood. the granules stopped for about a month, then started up again.

i just retreated the cabinets with wood saver, giving them two wet applications, hope it works this time.

lesson is;
    build with termite resistant solid wood rather than plywood.

ideas anyone, i'm still learning...

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Brian Oinks

Brian Oinks That's Mr. Pig to you Boy! :) Highly Rated Poster

Negros Oriental - Near to Zamboanguita ;)
    Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I am still learning also mate if they tell you that their "Marine Grade Plywood" is Termite Proof DO NOT BELIEVE THEM!

I highly doubt you will get aged wood here either. All ours still had sap weeping from the Coconut Lumber we bought here, and within days, had a hairy green and white fur like (2"to 3" thick) coating over it, this was AFTER coating all of the lumber with Wood Saver before cutting and building our Kitchen Cabinets. I again coated in Wood Saver which seemed to get rid of the furry mould like covering. (Now covered in Ply so out of sight out of mind) In all fairness to the Termites here, it appears that they have eaten their way through the glue that was holding the plies together in the (advertised) 25mm which is more like 20mm thick and not the actual wood plies itself.

All wooden items I bought back in Australia that came from Asia, the wood shrunk and cracked within months to a year or so, so was obviously still green with sap when they built the items. I seriously doubt they have the time or the patience here to wait until the wood is fully dry before building Beds, Furniture etc and like with the Fruits here, "Hit it while it is still green before someone else does!" :smuggrin:

• Agree Agree x 1