Dumaguete Info Search

Home & Garden termites anyone?

Discussion in 'Businesses - Services - Products' started by kelpguy, Jan 27, 2018.

1. kelpguy

kelpguy DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +673 / 92
    termites, locally know as;
    bok bok, the insect that turns wood into sand like granules.
    aga-ay, the insect that turns wood into powder.
    and probably some more bugs that i haven't meet.

i've been using ''wood saver'' to fight these little beasts but either i'm not applying it correctly or it's not 100% effective.

there's also a product named solignum that i haven't used.

and awhile back, i read about ''terminator X ( or a similar name), on the group but i can't find that thread now.

question is;
    has anyone used a product, either off the shelf or homemade, that stops these little buggers? .

thanks guys...

2. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. mokum

mokum DI Senior Member

retired
    Ratings:
    +574 / 136
    "Leadrex" is what I use, mixed with water you need very little so start with a small bottle. I apply with spray can, holes in trees/wood (bok bok) with an injection needle. I had one place in the ground full of them. We removed the soil so the tunnels came clear which we splashed with a lot of this stuff. Never saw a termite there again. Good luck

• Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. ShawnM

ShawnM DI Forum Patron ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Senior Construction Manager
    Ratings:
    +1,744 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    We used the solignum for treating wood in the house before finishing and haven't noticed any issues.

Shawn

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. OP
    OP
    kelpguy

kelpguy DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +673 / 92
    hey mokum, where'd you purchase the leadrex?

thanks...

6. Plainspoken

Plainspoken DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +325 / 280
    Hello Norm, where I'm from in the South in the USA termites were so common I knew some of them personally. There are three things that are cheap and environmentally safe that will work. And I mean kill them "deader than last year's cotton stalks".

Good Method
    One is Boric Acid. Considered safe and I'm sure available.
    Green and Natural products – Ace Greenpro Inc.
    acegreenpro.com/…ervices/green-and-natural-products

(035) 421-1610 | Dumaguete: (0926) 673 - 3033 ... Products & Services Green and Natural products ; ... Boric Acid; Citronella oil; Orange oil; Neem; (my edit:also good for termites but I don't use them) Disinfectant ...

Better Method
    Next is good to use with the Boric Acid added to it and that is the environmentally safe automotive anti freeze. Old style anti freeze is Ethylene Glycol and is toxic. Animals also love to drink it. The new style anti freeze is Propylene Glycol and is considered safe for the environment, humans and animals. It is not tasty to animals either. It is, however, very toxic to insects, including termites. It also kills the fungus that causes wood rot. I used to use a product call Stop Rot for rotten wood but now I use Propylene Glycol. Automotive parts stores sell it. Here you will have to read the label I would guess if they have the same help in the auto parts stores that they have in the hardware. It is here though because they have been using it in new cars for years. Don't mistake it for the orange Dexcool, (GM), type. Dexcool is newer than the green old style antifreeze but the Propylene Glycol is newer than that. Both have been out for many years but the Environmentally friendly is newer.
    Propylene Glycol alone or Boric Acid alone or, better, both together is a sure fire boon for business for the termite funeral home.

Atom Bomb
    Lastly, if they have really pissed you off and you want to "pound them in the ground without sharpening their feet", go to the PET fish store in Duma and hope they have, and they should, some Diatomaceous Earth. It's cheap. It is used in a filter for aquariums called a "Diatom Filter" that some serious fish enthusiast have. As you know there were many thick layers of the little diatom critters laid down by the oceans when we were still little kids. (Millions of years ago) All they left were there little microscopic very hard skeletons that look like little hairy critters when viewed under a microscope. To us they look like dust and are as safe as clean dirt. ANY insect that walks through the dusting of diatoms, picks them up on his skin, (exoskeleton), and the diatom eats through and the insect bleeds to death. Diatomaceous earth works on ants, roaches, termites, anything with an exoskeleton.
    One more colloquialism, The three, Boric Acid, Propylene Glycol, and Diatomaceous earth, will "hit a termite on top of his head so hard it will break both his ankles". He will die.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
  7. mokum

mokum DI Senior Member

retired
    Ratings:
    +574 / 136
    Pacifica agri shop or maybe even any agri shop.
    On your second post: this is bok- bok not termites in your furniture

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    Matio also stocks the stuff.

9. Brian Oinks

Brian Oinks That's Mr. Pig to you Boy! :) Highly Rated Poster

Negros Oriental - Near to Zamboanguita ;)
    Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I would not bother with the Wood Saver Norm as I painted all of my Lumber and Ply here with it. This is what I have noticed after applying it liberally;

Termites Cake.jpg YOU WANT MORE?

• Funny Funny x 6
  10. Plainspoken

Plainspoken DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +325 / 280
    When I was a kid there was a real scam back when scams were not nearly as common as now. There was an add in a magazine that advertised a sure fire, never fail, 100% roach killer. If used as instructed and it failed to kill the roaches then there was a 100% money back guarantee. Some ordered the "Sure Fire Roach Killer". When they received it, it was two boards measuring 1x4x6", marked, A and B. Instructions said "Place roach in center of board A and slap smartly with board B. Maybe it would work for termites too if you can find one. Probably try Citi Hardware or Robinson's.

• Funny Funny x 4