Dumaguete Info Search

Thanks Amazon & UPS, that's Logistics!

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by daanlungsod, Dec 13, 2012.

1. daanlungsod

daanlungsod DI Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +83 / 11
    Our son needed new eyeglasses, and we'd become fed up with the local selection of frames that quicky corrode, crack and fall apart. We found a good brand and style on Amazon. We usually send such purchases to our next Balikbayan box, but he needed this now and only $20 for express shipping.

On Friday afternoon Nov 30 we placed the order, and Monday morning Dec 3 a 2GO courier was at our door with a UPS Express Pak. We took the frames downtown to have the lens installed and done by lunch. Perhaps we've been here too long as this just seems otherworldly!

In contrast, an order we placed with Lazada.com.ph took more than 3 weeks to be delivered.

Here's the tracking info..

Manila, Philippines 12/03/2012 10:42 A.M. Delivered
    Manila, Philippines 12/02/2012 6:23 P.M. Destination Scan
    Pampanga, Philippines 12/02/2012 11:55 A.M. Departure Scan
    Shenzhen, China 12/02/2012 6:57 A.M. Departure Scan
    Mumbai, India 12/01/2012 6:57 P.M. Departure Scan
    Koeln, Germany 12/01/2012 4:27 A.M. Departure Scan
    Castle Donnington, United Kingdom 11/30/2012 10:53 P.M. Departure Scan
    Bristol, United Kingdom 11/30/2012 6:50 P.M. Departure Scan
    United Kingdom 11/30/2012 10:59 A.M. Order Processed: Ready for UPS

Can't wait to try this again..

2. Dave & Imp

Dave & Imp DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 884
    That is impressive

The tracking info was impressive. Too bad your son was not wearing them as they were traveling, he would have had an awesome experience seeing the world.

3. denpet

denpet DI Senior Member Highly Rated Poster Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Ratings:
    +351 / 96
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Have had lots of things shipped with different couriers. To Santander and Dumaguete.
    Here are some reflections.

USPS (US Postals Services, via PhilPost): Usually takes longer, especially to Dumaguete, but a few times has been faster than FedEx/UPS to Santander. BUT, never got any customs fee on packages this way. Not even our chlorinators to the pool (US$ 1200 value).

FedEx/UPS: Faster service, but when sent to Santander, the local courier holds the packages in Cebu for 1-2 weeks. Faster to Dumaguete. But, always have had to pay customs fees and tax on shipment with these.

DHL: Fastest, and (the times I used them) adds a reasonable customs clearance fee on shipment, so it's prepaid. You don't pay to receive the package. But, sometimes, same as with FedEx and UPS, the local courier holds the packages unnecessarily long.

Guess the hold in Cebu is for them to save money and only go to Santander when it's absolutely necessary and try to stock up more packages going that way.

4. denpet

Ratings:
    +351 / 96
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Just received a new starter for the Harley shipped with USPS to Dumaguete today. It has been in the Philippines since October 26. I asked why it took just a couple to days from the US to Manila, then 1.5 month from Manila to Dumaguete.
    And guess what? I got a straight and honest answer.
    The airline prioritise luggage and passenger and only bring mail and packages when there are space. So, PhilPost air packages are being held in Manila. I asked if it was better to have it shipped to Santander then, as it will come in via Cebu then, and he said 'Yes, much better'.
    I guess the fastest with regular post will be if you have someone who can receive it in Manila and send if via LBC to Dumaguete.

5. kiwiobob

kiwiobob DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have had packages shipped for many years, and found that Fedex, and yes, even USPS have been very consistent and great service, Fedex in particular. BUT, UPS, is the only only one I have had so many issues with, such as: damaged goods, missing packages, deliveries to incorrect addresses etc.

6. sntmig

sntmig DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +121 / 17
    Hmm,I ve being buying frames and lenses here for the past 10 years from Santilion......Ok,so the frame quality isnt soooo great,BUT,...the designs are ok and...when you pay 2600 pesos for,examiation,frames,withclip-on magnetized sunglasses,and plastic lenses ...and ready in a day..thats not so bad and I can handle that even if I have to buy again in a year..Miguel

7. denpet

Ratings:
    +351 / 96
    Blood Type:
    O+
    And if you spend a little bit extra on their import frames, you get the same sh*t you get everywhere else.

8. OP
    OP
    daanlungsod

daanlungsod DI Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +83 / 11
    Sometimes, you get what you pay for..

Our son's first frames cost P2690 at Vintage in Evermall, about $67.00. After a few weeks the coating peeled off the metal parts and they corroded. He abandoned them and has been walking around blind.

His Ray-Bans from Amazon.com did cost more, at $69.00, plus the $20 shipping.

Following typhoon Pablo our boy and his barkadas visited the Boulevard, where an official approached him to ask, "Are you the Reporter that the station sent to interview us?"

d*mn, that was money worth spent.