Dumaguete Info Search

The end of Tricycles?

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by daanlungsod, Jun 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daanlungsod

daanlungsod DI Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +83 / 11
    Yesterday a driver lamented about his hopeless future as tricycles were soon to be phased out. He related that the mayor planned to replace them with multicab jeepneys with regulated stops, rather than door-to-door. This change was also incited by a certain foreigner who had been cornering a majority of the tricycle franchises.

Maybe just chismis but the cure sounds worse than the disease.

2. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    As long as the majority of the trike fleet belongs to people with more power than the mayor, that ain't happen

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. sfgb35

sfgb35 DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Jeepneys

Sure jeepneys with 'regulated' stops would be a good thing, not like in Cebu where the Jeepney stops, anytime, anywhere, even if a persons sneezes at the roadside . . . . BUT, who would decide the 'regulated' stops, and who would manage it, maybe they could employ all the ex-tricycle drivers to man the 'regulated' stops ? :rolleyes:

4. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    To phase out some of the tricycles would be a good thing, but, it will be political suicide for someone. If they just started by not renewing the license for the 2 stroke models it would go a long ways toward cleaning the air up. If they just ran a few dozen jeepneys on basic routes (yes, designated stops would be good) and let the tricycles have the backstreets what a remarkable improvement in the congestion downtown it would make. Also make the tricycles stay to the right instead of staggered the way they like to take up the entire road would be an improvement, and how about making them get off the street to stop.

I don't foresee any radical changes anytime soon, but something does need to be done.

Larry

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Fozzboy

Fozzboy DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Larry i agree entirely with every word you say!!, i'm for every getting choked by fumes from clapped out 2 stroke motors, then they stop in the middle of the road without any warning!!.

6. RR_biker

RR_biker DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +746 / 109
    Banning out the 2-stroke tricycles on a 1 or 2 year's notice would be the first step to clear up the air and stop the pollution. To significantly reduce traffic congestion by introducing regulated public transport on the main streets with designated stops where passengers can go on and off would be the 2nd step. Let the tricycle has it's operational field in the back streets and more rural areas. In a city like Cagayan de Oro tricycles are also no longer allowed to operate in the main streets for a couple of years already, so why it cannot be implemented in Dumaguete. It's just a matter of political will and common sense to understand that the current situation cannot longer go on.

7. Burgers & Beer

Burgers & Beer DI New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    shadow
    Larry, I know this part of the forum is not about you and the suzuki multicab engines. My name is Mike and I'm from San Carlos City, Negros Occidental. I've been informed that you are the man to talk to concerning F6A engines. I have a project and need your input and possible engine, transmission. Please respond if interested. Thanks for your valuable time and consideration. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Edited by a Moderator to include Larry (Shadow) In the hope he may see it

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2015
  8. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,209 / 1,086
    Shadow (Larry has not signed in for a while but he will get a mail to let him know this message is here OK?

9. Burgers & Beer

Burgers & Beer DI New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    Thanks ever so much. Merry Christmas & Happy New Year.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,209 / 1,086
    http://www.google.com/public/style_emoticons/default/merrychristmas.gif to you too my friend.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.