Dumaguete Info Search

Government & Education The new K12 program

Discussion in 'Businesses - Services - Products' started by newbie27, Jun 4, 2012.

1. newbie27

newbie27 DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    What can you say about the new K12 program of Dept. of Education?

2. firefly

firefly DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 1
    Maybe between K11 and K13 ?

3. andiflip

andiflip DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +491 / 173
    I hope it is what it is meant to be but I doubt it. I know a few teachers and their "Training" for K-12 was a few seminars for a few weeks.. I certainly hope it will be an additional 2 years of proper learning instead of just extending the inadequate 10 years into a 12 year program..O-|

4. ChMacQueen

ChMacQueen DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,386 / 173
    My GF has told me a fair bit about it as she studies elementary education at NORSU. She says that a few of the basic university class's are now being moved in the extra 2 years of K-12 such as PE, NTSP (national service training program), possibly an extra math and filipino class, and not sure what else. For that I'd be happier as it pisses me off you go to college here and your forced into PE, NTSP, and some other basically worthless stuff nothing to do with whatever your studying.

Now the problem like said is doubtful that it goes anywhere like planned as so many of the teachers haven't been trained properly to handle this. Heck, many of the teachers don't even care about teaching anymore and its just a paycheck to them. I already see often enough they will mix years together for the same class which is supposedly covering 2 different years because of lack of teachers or just don't care to actually teach new material. I also find myself correcting my GFs occasional bad grammar or incorrect use of a word taught by her Univeristy teachers. I def. gotta suggest if you have a Student in the family you support get them a pocket dictionary and teach them to actually use it.

5. Dave & Imp

Dave & Imp DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 884
    Shoe Shining in HRM degree.

I spoke to a young lady who was in her last month of getting a college degree in Hotel and Restaurant Management here locally. I asked her what she had learned that day. Her reply " I learned to shine shoes today." I was astounded and really did not pursue the topic as I was so dumb founded that a four you college course program would teach shoe shining, in the last couple of months of a degree. Has anyone heard such a thing? Is this what they will move into K-12 program? Or is shoe shining too advance for High School? Maybe I am not realizing that with everyone wearing rubber slippers that shoe shining a leather shoe is an art here.

I had heard that McDonald requires a degree in HRM to work behind the counter, and I applaud McDonalds for that but I was just not aware the the program was so elementary.

6. OP
    OP
    newbie27

newbie27 DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Upon reading all comments here... I believe nobody is happy with k12. would it be an additional 2 yr waste?

7. Cutie ladybug

Cutie ladybug DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    McD in Dumaguete hires working college students, and will consider even just high school grads if they are above average in their maturity and work ethic etc

8. SteveB

SteveB DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    Here is what the K to 12 program aspires to provide:

1. Universal Kindergarten Education. Kindergarten has now been integrated into the basic education system to ensure that all grade 1 students are ready for academic learning. Universal kindergarten started in SY 2011–2012 with a budget of P2.3 billion and was made mandatory starting SY 2012–2013 through the signing of Republic Act No. 10157 entitled “An Act Institutionalizing the Kindergarten Education into the Basic Education System and Appropriating Funds Therefor” on January 20, 2012.

In SY 2012–2013, an estimated 2.3 million five-year-old children will enter kindergarten, of which 1.7 million (74 percent) will be served by public schools.

2. Mother Tongue-Based Multilingual Education. The mother tongue will be the medium of instruction from kindergarten to grade 3. This includes the following: Tagalog, Kapampangan, Pangasinense, Iloko, Bikol, Cebuano, Hiligaynon, Waray, Tausug, Maguindanaoan, Maranao, and Chabacano. Medium of instruction will be English and Filipino starting grade 4.

3. Core Academic Areas. The core academic areas include Math; Filipino; English; Araling Panlipunan; Edukasyon sa Pagpapakatao; and Music, Arts, Physical Education, and Health (MAPEH). These are based on the College Readiness Standards of the Commission on Higher Education and are equivalent to the courses offered under the General Education Curriculum of Higher Education Institutions.

Science will be taught in grade 3, but its concepts will be integrated in other subjects like Health (under MAPEH), Math, and Languages in grades 1 and 2. Edukasyong Pangtahanan at Pangkabuhayan will be taught starting in grade 4. Technology and Livelihood Education and technical–vocational specializations, consistent with the Technical Education and Skills Development Authority training regulations, will start in grade 7.

4. Specializations. The additional two years (grades 11 and 12) or SHS will allow students to choose among academic, technical–vocational, or sports and arts tracks depending on their interest, the community needs, and the results of their skills assessment. The SHS will allow mastery of core competencies for lifelong learning and preparedness for work, higher education, middle-level skills development, or entrepreneurship.

In a nutshell, Kindergarten becomes mandatory; mother tongue of the region will be taught to the younger kids, and Grades 11 and 12 will give the students the option of taking academic courses for university preparation (possibly reducing the number of credits required for a degree) or pursue specialized trades training (or other) similar to many other more industrialized countries. I think the idea is great, however, poor families will not be happy leaving their kids in school for 2 more years (probably drastically increasing drop-out rates). I think it is a commendable effort to improve the education system. Of course, there are still many other areas of concern, but I think we should applaud this effort as a step in the right direction.

9. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    it is an outline in the right direction, even teaching kids NOT the official 2 languages of this country from the very beginning is totally ridiculous and leads to the next "sorry sir, next week lets eat" generation.

the reality is that 90% of the teacher have no clue about how to teach and the books of a 5 grader are too complicated for most teacher who are not able to make the easiest math, but teach math in copying the books on the blackboard. Let alone the psychological approach to teach kids.

It is 2 years wasted (yes the theory sounds fine, but we all know what country we are in).
    Not only the poor complain, many at private schools complain. That in addition with the 10% tuition fee increase in many schools lead even to the result that a special credit can be given by BPI to Silliman students for "only" 5% monthly (I think).

Having teacher study 2 years longer and teach them HOW to teach effective would make way more sense than K12 .

10. andiflip

andiflip DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +491 / 173
    I totally agree Roody, kinda goes right along with the yearly song and dance.
    1. Shortage of classrooms.
    2. Shortage of teachers.
    3. Shortage of desks.
    4. Shortage of books.
    5. Shortage of schools.

Each and every year it's the same for the past 30 yrs i have lived here, why doesn't the DepEd, just have a tape recording of the standard reply----We are working on it and assure everyone that next year will be better..O-|