Dumaguete Info Search

Hotels & Travel The perfect rental (for me)

Discussion in 'Businesses - Services - Products' started by AlwaysRt, Apr 26, 2015.

1. AlwaysRt

AlwaysRt DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Blood Donor Veteran Air Force Marines

Ratings:
    +1,329 / 391
    Blood Type:
    A+
    First time to Phils but been to a few dozen countries over the years, the last being a couple months in Guatemala the beginning of this year. As a veteran I first thought about Clark (obvious right?), the more I read the better Cebu sounded, then Dumaguete and Valencia. I'm still guessing though and would appreciate suggestions. My priority list is:

1)affordable - I prefer to keep Food and Shelter to $1000/mo
    2)simple/not hectic city life... - a town is fine, it is the busy busy hectic traffic and pollution city life I'm not interested in.
    3)...but still have a/c, flush toilet, hot shower, internet access - those are the parts of "western style" that is important to me
    4)safe to walk to eat, preferably also for exercise as I like to walk about 8 klicks a day for exercise and prefer to walk a couple minutes to restaurant/grocery instead of taking other transportation, the ability to sit on my porch and see the ocean would be awesome

Steve

• Like Like x 1
  2. Best Answer:
    Post #4 by Rye83, Apr 26, 2015 (5 points)
  3. Dave & Imp

Dave & Imp DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 884
    Steve, I think the Dumaguete area may be perfect for you. One thing you did not mention as a criteria but you will probably appreciate when you are here is the number of foreigners from you country here.
    I would however would not recommend Dumaguete City as place to stay as it can be hectic /not a simple city life (lots of drama and gossip sometimes) ...with its busy busy hectic traffic and pollution, which are two of your negative criteria.. However being close to Dumaguete for the conveniences it offer is very good. Valencia and Bacong, are the areas I would recommend you check out. They are communities that you can survive in independently of Dumaguete but within 10 minute ride. They are small scale and friendly with the conveniences you seem to be looking for at this time. The rents are a little cheaper (Bacong has beach front two bedroom for as low as 14,000 P a month but not always available) and the natural environment aspects are a little stronger. Remember no location has to be a life long permanent residence, you were in Guatemala six months ago. :wink: Experiment and enjoy life... moving on when you do not find what you like..... That is why I am still single here.... :wink: :woot:

• Like Like x 1
  4. OP
    OP
    AlwaysRt

AlwaysRt DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Blood Donor Veteran Air Force Marines

Ratings:
    +1,329 / 391
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Yup, that is one detail that makes a difference. I am traveling solo (at least until I get there lol).

Also, while I am not "on the hunt" for a GF/Wife, it seems almost inevitable there. I am a quality over quantity guy so definitely Not looking for "bagging as many as I can" while I am there.

5. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Best Answer
    Yeah, don't do that. That place sucks and gets old very quickly. And Angeles is stupid polluted, crowded, overpriced and has high crime rates. (I lived in Subic/Olongapo prior to Valencia/Dumaguete. It was 100 times better than Angeles but still had some of the same problems as Angeles, just to a lessor degree.

I have covered elsewhere my monthly expenses in Valencia. But.....You are going to be looking at paying anywhere from $500 (cheap living) to $900 (pretty nice living) for your monthly living expenditures. I have a friend who rents a very large 4 bedroom, 2 bath, house in Valencia for 20k pesos a month (that's around $450-$500 USD). You can find a studio apartment for around 8-12k pesos ($200-$300). I'm at 600-700 a month for rent, utilities, food, internet and cable.

Valencia (mountain), Bacong (near the beach) or Sibulan (meh :meh:) are all smaller, less polluted, towns that will put you within 10-15 minutes from Dumaguete (malls, restaurants, a bit of night life). I personally find Valencia the best option, though you will find many members here that live in Bacong.......and not so many in Sibulan (I just see that as an extension of Dumaguete...not an actual town that stands on its own). San Miguel (the town not the beer), Dauin, Zamboanguita and Siaton are options as well, San Miguel being 20 minutes south of Dumaguete, and Siaton being about an hour south. The others fit somewhere in between those two. Bais and Tanjay are north from Dumaguete. These all have their own appeals to certain people. (I don't think they are what you are looking for though.)

You will find this pretty much anywhere near an urban center. Though the further away you go from Dumaguete the worse off you are going to be (especially true for internet in the towns south of Dumaguete).

Valencia is going to suit your needs here a bit better. Lots of out door activities within walking distance of the town center and it is in the mountains, so you will have plenty of hills for exercise and plenty of wildlife to look at. You have very little to worry about in terms of safety there. You won't be seeing the ocean...unless you live a bit further up the mountain (but the further up you go the harder it will be to get the things you have mentioned here.) There are a couple restaurants in Valencia and they have a small market where you can get fresh vegetables on Sundays (chicken and pork available everyday and occasionally sea food) but for the majority of your shopping you will need to go about 10 minutes down the hill to Hypermart (in Dumaguete).

Showcase | Dumaguete Info here are some of the more popular businesses, parks and services available in Dumaguete. This is certainly not an exhaustive list of things to do in the area. This just started being put together a couple months ago. The main site (Dumaguete Info - Website of Gentle People has much more information about things to do in Dumaguete and the surrounding area.

6. Oz-Roger

Oz-Roger DI Senior Member Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Retired
    Ratings:
    +465 / 137
    Agree, with the exception of Bacong, which is a bit more dangerous due to crazy drivers and a drug problem that is reported to be one of the worst in Negros. :eek:Out of the two, Valencia is the go.:thumbsup:

7. Dave & Imp

Dave & Imp DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 884
    Yeah, the competition for drug sales is getting rampart here. Imp is having a hard time selling his Catnip as there are so many pushers here in Bacong. :wink:

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. ShawnM

ShawnM DI Forum Patron ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Senior Construction Manager
    Ratings:
    +1,752 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    Steve...looks like you are wanting to hang out, not stay. I would recommend 5 days, 4 nights in AC; from there you should get some ideas on where the girls want to go and then just head out alone (or not) on an adventure, meeting someone here or there. Anything longer in AC is too much.

If you head to Dumaguete, you can pick up some info from the advertisers on the site or assume through whatever hotel you book; some great tour destinations are available locally from water falls, caves and hiking.

Another great place to visit that is Bohol, many people may recommend other places but this was one of the best vacations me and my lovely wife had...haven't checked but the chocolate hills should be looking that way.

My info is quite a few years outdated, so I'm sure other folks will chime in.

Shawn

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. OP
    OP
    AlwaysRt

Ratings:
    +1,329 / 391
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Thanks for all your suggestions, seems like everything points to Valencia. As far as hanging out vs staying, I am amazed at people who decide to move somewhere without ever having lived there. While I am not committing to staying, I will be living there, not on vacation with a vacationer's budget. I wont know how long I am staying until I am there and decide to leave (or not) and move to another country for a while.

• Like Like x 1