Dumaguete Info Search

The Pop King of Music

Discussion in '☋ General Chat ☋' started by anita, Jun 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anita

anita DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    The Pop King of Music (Michael Jackson) dead at 50 yrs old yesterday. It's sad to say that he passed away.

2. davfitz

davfitz DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    I'm certain that he reflected daily on life in Dumaguete.

Gimme a break, please!

3. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    Yeah he is gone, but wasn’t he already dead since about 10 years or so ? His last tour was 1997-98, his last release 2001… all after were scandals…

BUT, Whether I liked him or not, he was around everywhere when I was a teenager. I was into Heavy Metal and AC-DC, Iron Maiden were my Idols, not Madonna and Michael Jackson. It took me years to get any kind of connection to him. I had 50 people working on his last tour in Munich and was impressed about the very high-standard of entertainment.

Nevertheless when I think back, he kept us talking about him, we listened to his music (if we liked or not) and his stories were more entertaining and longer lasting than all this big-brother and “whatever-country”-idol crap.

The last week saw 3 people passing away who might have influenced some of us in whatever way. I definitely liked all the hot girls having a Farrah Fawcett hairstyle, it was great at that time…. The younger generation might not even know them...

One of my friends (the Outcast, with the Dane founder of DI) wrote something on another board which I think it’s a good write up and I want to share…

Some cultural strands of our DNA have died this week. Three deaths each speaking to a different part of our very being which most of us buried long ago but which in reality still shape the way many of us still think, act and behave.

For most of us we have not thought of these cultural markers in a long time. We long ago took the Farrah Fawcett poster down off the wall. We long ago got over not hearing Ed McMahon’s heart filled laughter each night backing some inane Johnny Carson skit. And long ago we threw that vinyl copy of Thriller into a cardboard box now stuffed away into some dark dusty corner of the garage.

However, with the reports of the deaths of these iconic personalities one can’t help but think back to a simpler time when we not only needed these people in our lives, we couldn’t think of it without them.

But what happened? When did we grow up and not need these fixtures in our lives? In fact, as these three tried to stay on the radar screen of our national identities not only did we shun these figures from our life, we belittled them and tried ever so hard to reduce their influence and even mockery became synonymous with all three.

Farrah struggling so hard to regain her youth and overcome that ridiculous hair trying to insist she was a ‘serious’ actress. Ed reduced to comic pitchman and somehow in debt after losing millions. Then of course there was the much publicized implosion of everything that Michael’s was magnified with each if not comic certainly sardonic event which plagued the latter stages of his life.

But from on so high a pedestal, how could they not fall? How could they continue to remain important in our fickle minds? With public memory being dwarfed by the mental prowess of a goldfish, Farrah, Ed and Michael had no chance. Each flaw under a “holier-than-thou” microscope could not withstand the constant pressure to stay relevant.

It became easy to say, “Hell, I never owned that poster.” It became easy to say, “Ed was a hack and Johnny didn’t need him.” And it became oh so easy to say, “I never liked Michael Jackson, he was a freak.”

However, let’s not dwell on these negative thoughts any longer. With their passing let’s stop denying the indelible imprint on our collective psyches these personalities represented. Let’s embrace them and let them truly rest in peace and remain fondly in our hearts.

Let’s forget Charlie’s Angels. Let’s forget the Alpo Commercials. Let’s forget the plastic surgery. Let’s simply remember how better our lives were when all we had to worry about was the failings of these superstars and not a world on the brink of endemic disease, a world filled with fanatical zealots in search of a holy war and a world engulfed by an economic catastrophe.

Rest in peace…

Attached Files:

4. barramac

barramac DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    died with up to $400m in debt. now that is a crazy spending and just how much pain killers was he on.

heaven please give this skinny, translucent white guy with the pretty nose a break, he brought us the moon walk and v shaped group dance routines. we have lost so much.

triller 100 million sales
    Dangerous 32m
    bad 30m
    HIStory 30m
    Off the wall 30m

that will never be beaten

5. Union Jack

Union Jack DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +13 / 1
    I did not idolised him but I enjoyed the album "Thriller" and a few other pieces.
    He was definetely an icon of the 80's-90's.
    I was more into Spandau Ballet, Duran Duran, Ultravox and the likings........ah the good old 80's!
    I definetevely knew who Farah Fawcett, starring at "Charlie's Angels" was, a great looking chick!
    Going back to Michael, the world will be a lesser place without him.
    God bless him.

6. davfitz

davfitz DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    Apparently one is not permitted to do less than gush over the late Jackson. Censorship lives!

7. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    of course censorship is alive.... for absolutely useless posts, which might be ok in the "humor" thread

8. SU6750

SU6750 DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    i love u michael!!!!

December 1996 michael jackson live in manila!

Attached Files:

9. davfitz

davfitz DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    Touchy on Jackson, are we Rhoody? Somewhat subjective, non? Too bad I don't get to kill your posts just cause I don't like them.

Wanna start a new thread and debate it? Probably not.

10. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,854 / 1,022
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Hey mate, you forgot the rat song, BEN. :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.