Dumaguete Info Search

Food & Grocery The price of Tang

Discussion in 'Businesses - Services - Products' started by Notmyrealname, Apr 27, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,588 / 2,888
    With NK being nice and China returning all the disputed islands (just joking!), it is now time to consider other important World issues: The price of Tang has rocketed (can Mr Wyre please check if this is technically correct) - going from about P9.50 to P16 overnight.

I stopped buying and I note (without inferring any connection) that the shelves are full of the product when they used to have a fast turnover. It would be difficult to think of a reason for such a massive increase when the product is small and contains so few ingredients.

They are doing a few promos now and I wonder if it is a case of soon finding 'Promo: Buy 10 Tangs and get a free car'.

In case anyone does not know what I am talking about (there is a large club you can join that I have built up over many years), 'Tang' is a fruit drink in many flavors* (I only like 'orange' and 'strawberry') but you find it tastes best if you add water. [* This misspelling ( :smile: ) is an acknowledgement of the many US citizens on this site].

• Funny Funny x 7
  2. expatron

expatron DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +514 / 126
    My guess would be 50/50, the new sugar tax and the other greed tax claiming its because of the sugar tax. I don't think its because of the astronauts that loved it while in space LOL

3. Show Pony

Show Pony DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +2,367 / 1,258
    I don't think there is any sugar in Tang. There are artificial sweeteners for sure. Misinterpreting a law perhaps?

• Funny Funny x 3
  4. RR_biker

RR_biker DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +746 / 109
    No matter what a raise from 9 to 16 peso is really outrageous.

5. cabb

cabb DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster ✤Forum Sponsor✤

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 241
    There could be a shortage due to high demand or maybe the Hunt Brothers are buying up the supply and trying to corner the market. It looks like like the next best thing to a fountain of youth based on the ingredients below.

https://www.quora.com/Is-Tang-healthy
    Tang may be orange in color, but it is definitely not orange juice. According to its label, Tang contains the following ingredients: Sugar, Fructose, Citric Acid, Calcium Phosphate, Contains Less than 2% of Orange Juice Solids, Natural Flavor, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Vitamin E Acetate, Niacinamide, Vitamin B6, Vitamin A Palmitate, Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Beta Carotene, Maltodextrin, Sucralose, Acesulfame Potassium, and Neotame (Sweeteners) Guar and Xanthan Gums (Provide Body) Artificial Color, Yellow 5, Yellow 6, BHA (to Help Protect Flavor).

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. cabb

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 241
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    I don't buy 12 packs of soda, but I can tell you that one can of soda water in a restobar cost me 80 pesos the other day when a beer would have been 50. The soda water and beer used to be similar in price. Funny thing is, I drink soda water as there is less sugar in it than in beer. (To be more precise, beer increases my blood sugar more once consumed.)

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I like this. I see a much larger percentage of the population that would be considered obese than I did 10+ years ago. Hiking prices on sugar will also make their food much tolerable. Hopefully they will stop putting sugar in everything.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. cabb

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 241
    You had me scared for a second there as I chose beer over an occasional a soda since I'm a type 2. I compared coke to my favorite high octane beer (10.2%) Boulevard Sixth Glass (A quadruple Belgian Ale) with a whopping 306 calories. I've added a Red Horse too. It looks like you should go back to beer. I'm not a doctor, but it seems odd that a product with less carborhydrates and less sugar would increase your sugar levels more.

I don't think it's alcohol either.
    This is a common myth since over-consumption of calories from alcohol can quickly make you fat. But it's not because alcohol is transformed into sugar in your body – it's because of the way it is metabolized and stored as fat.

From Free Calorie Counter, Diet & Exercise Journal | MyFitnessPal.com
    Screen Shot 2018-04-28 at 8.46.51 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-04-28 at 8.46.11 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-04-28 at 9.01.40 PM.png

10. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    If you have diabetes moderate intake of alcohol can cause your blood sugar to rise. Excessive alcohol intake can cause your blood sugar to drop to dangerous levels.

Diabetes and Alcohol

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1