Dumaguete Info Search

The rice you eat is worse than surgary drinks

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by DavyL200, Sep 14, 2016.

1. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    The health authorities have identified one of their concerns as they wage war on diabetes: white rice. It is even more potent than sweet soda drinks in causing the disease.

Sharing his battle plan to reduce the risk of diabetes, Health Promotion Board chief executive Zee Yoong Kang said that obesity and sugary drinks are the major causes of the condition in the West.

But Asians are more predisposed to diabetes than Caucasians, so people do not have to be obese to be at risk. Starchy white rice can overload their bodies with blood sugar and heighten their risk of diabetes.
    Mr Zee is armed with data. A meta- analysis of four major studies, involving more than 350,000 people followed for four to 20 years, by the Harvard School of Public Health - published in the British Medical Journal - threw up some sobering findings.

One, it showed each plate of white rice eaten in a day - on a regular basis - raises the risk of diabetes by 11 per cent in the overall population. Diabetes: The rice you eat is worse than sugary drinks

• Informative Informative x 3
  2. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    This is simplistic and missing the mark. The issue isn't eating white rice, but rather what a typical diet high in rice is missing.

White rice and sugary beverages are absorbed quickly by the body, but much of your digestion is handled by the bacteria in your digestive system. This bacteria is known as your "micro biome". Your micro biome is important for the overall health of your body and you can't survive without it. A proper diet feeds this micro biome as well as your body. Sugar and meat don't feed this ecosystem (and too much meat creates other issues, such as throwing your bile out of balance by creating too much).

To feed the micro biome, you need fiber. Most Western diets don't meet the suggested minimum in fiber, which leaves the bacteria to feed on the cells of the walls of your digestive system. As the bacteria eats away at the walls, your digestive system becomes porous and food particles may leak into your bloodstream. The body then attacks these particles as invaders, triggering inflammation as an immune response (AKA, leaky gut syndrome). This response can cause all sorts of issues with your body and could be a partial cause of many modern diseases.

Additionally, doctors in the Philippines have an issue with being too quick to prescribe antibiotics. And the mindset of Filipino's doesn't help. At least in the U.S. doctors are aware of problems of bacterial resistance due to over-prescribing antiobiotics. I don't go to hospitals often, but when I got sick as a kid I remember that I would usually get tested for a bacterial infection before receiving a prescription. In the Philippines, I always hear "have you taken your medicine?" when I tell people I'm sick. People can't seem to grasp that antibiotics don't do anything for a viral infection and the kids I watched after never got tested for an infection. And doctors are an authority and high status here, so foreigners should just know their place and shut up.

The problem with antibiotics is that it affects the essential bacteria as well as that which you are trying to get rid of. One prescription of antibiotics can throw off your micro biome for a year, which can lead to weight gain and other problems.

Advice on diet fails because it doesn't take the whole picture into account. You may adjust on advice, but you then miss the core problems. This article is addressing symptoms. For a proper diet, balance is key.

The science around the micro biome is recent. The above is my understanding, which may be off. Take a look at the linked article. There is a lot of great material out there for further reading. If you want to get to the full understanding of dieting, look at the micro biome.

What Your Food Is Really Doing to Your Body

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. TheDude

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    Another issue is that in the West, people generally associate a healthy and balanced diet as eating more salad. The problem with that is that lettuce is mostly water and contains little nutrients and fiber. You might as well be a like a cow eating grass all day to get what you need from it. It's best to look up veggies which are high in fiber and nutrients (superfoods).

And yet another issue is cost. Eating well is relatively expensive. A typical Filipino family doesn't have the budget to eat much other than rice and some toppings. Food is already a major budget item for most families with not much room left over. And the neighborhood stores get much of that budget from selling crap bread and packaged snacks. In the U.S. you also have an issue with antibiotics in the food supply, which you avoid by dishing out a premium for free range and organically grown meat (I don't know how much of a problem this is in the Philippines). However, the savings in medical expenses and quality of life should offset this.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Why is Diabetes being so racist and targeting Asians?!

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. Jens K

Jens K DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +764 / 47
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    I have no doubt that there is something true about this. Just look at how depressed people get when you take their white rice from them - it's like a drug, they're addicted to the blood sugar high it gives them. I think it's also due to the sheer amount of white rice consumed (lack of fiber means you have to eat more to feel satisfied).

I made it a rule, despite protests from the SO, to only buy red or black rice for home cooking (much higher in fiber and everything else that's good) and personally try to stay away from white rice as well as potatoes / white bread etc., replacing it with veggies / whatever else non-carb food is available when eating out. Obviously that's out of the question when you can barely afford "something" along with the white rice, leading to the poor not only being poor but also more sick...

• Like Like x 1
  6. Cerne

Cerne DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +538 / 199
    A meta analysis of four longitudinal studies is some pretty serious science to make it into the BMJ. I'm not so hasty to condemn this sort of study. I see folks left, right and centre here going blind through diabetic complications, ketotic kids about to dissolve their internal organs as their pancreas' have given up the ghost; hear about so and so with "high blood" having strokes and whatever. Starched white rice pushes up the overall background glycemic index putting pressure on insulin production and effectivity - if present in the diet chronically. I'd be foolish to not pay attention to that living here.

Like most diet advice simplicity and moderation seems to be the key. But I'll hit the BMJ next week when I'm back at work to see the limitations of this study before passing further comment. In the meantime take care of your pancreas' folks as stem cell therapy is still a zillion miles away for diabetes Type 1.

C

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. OP
    OP
    DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    We have a couple of old folk living next door to us and the sister was severely diabetic who visited regurly,her feet were in a terrible state and diabetes was serious. We advised her to give up the white rice and paid for her medicines for her condition to no avail. She could not give up the rice and died 3 months later! Maybe this was due to to huge quantity of rice I don't know but I'm sure it was a contributing factor.
    It's aisa and were not going to change anything anytime soon!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    You are right Davy But it is not just rice it is the type of rice. GM Rice seems to be the Culprit

9. TheDude

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    First they get colonized by white Europeans. Then they get beat up by white rice. I guess the idea behind skin whitening creams is that if you can't beat'em, join'em.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Does the study show any link between diabetes and genetically genetically modified white rice?